Following Jesus in How to Read the Bible

Paidion

Re: Following Jesus in How to Read the Bible

Post by Paidion » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:41 pm

dizerner wrote:Yes, Paul truly said, "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." Gramma here is the Law, a legalistic righteousness by moral or religious works.
Well... let's see what the Greek lexicons say:
Online Bible Greek Lexicon:
1) a letter
2) any writing, a document or record
2a) a note of hand, bill, bond, account, written acknowledgement of a debt
2b) a letter, an epistle
2c) the sacred writings (of the OT)
3) letters, i.e. learning
3a) of sacred learning
The NASB translates it as follows (number of times in parentheses): bill (2), learning (1), letter (5), letters (3), writings (2).

Strong's Greek Lexicon:
a writing, i.e. a letter, note, epistle, book, etc.; plural learning: —  bill, learning, letter, scripture, writing, written.

Abbott-Smith Greek Lexicon:
1. That which is traced, drawn, a picture.
2. that which is written; (1) a character; letter (2) a written document; (a) a bill or account (b) a letter (c) the sacred writings
3. Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains (Louw & Nida) (a) letter of the alphabet (b) a writing
(c) epistle (d) record of debts)
4. The Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament (William D. Mounce)
Pertaining to that which is written or drawn; a letter; character of the alphabet, a writing, book, an acknowledgement of debt, an account, bill, note; an epistle, letter; Holy writ, the sacred books of the Old Testament, the Jewish Scripture

The letter of the law of Moses, the bare literal sense
All of these lexicons include the Scriptures as a meaning of "gramma."
Only Mounce gives a reference to to law of Moses as one meaning—not to the law as such, but the bare literal sense of the law.
And that is precisely what Jesus was opposing. When the bare literal sense meant violence against people Jesus said the opposite. And this is basically what Dr. Bob Wilson was saying as well.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:25 pm

After meeting Jesus later in life than most, for years I struggled with the account of Uzziah being struck dead after touching the Ark to keep it from falling off the cart, for which David was ultimately responsible. Under the surface, I hated and feared the God who did that because it just like the authority I grew up under - one never knew when he would find fault and punish, physically, and with displeasure and the withdrawal of affection. So from my first days with Jesus, when I only felt his love and heard his loving and gentle voice, my joy was gradually taken by teachings I received about a punitive God, whom I could never understand and so could never fully love. Striking someone dead like that is not the same as the chastisement which God metes out to those whom he loves.

A friend of mine, in reporting on a vacation trip she took, said it started out badly with a flat tire, which she knew happened because she did not pray before she left. Another friend said she had awful sores on her legs because she had once been a dancer before she met the Lord.

Although riddled with superstitious fear of God myself, I resisted these assessments, but nevertheless, the words reflected the beliefs of so many who embrace the OT as God's word to us today, teaching us to ignore, or at least bypass, the words of Jesus - especially his words spoken in the Sermon on the Mount. I've heard otherwise lovely Christians say that murderers should be lined up and shot; one told me that when he saw my errant husband (now deceased), he wanted to slap his ungodly face. These things grieve my heart, to think that this was how I, also, represented Jesus and the Father to this heartbroken world.

These attitudes led me directly into Right wing politics, fed with a good dose of patriotism spawned by the war in Iraq, from all of which I was thankfully delivered through the disappointment of the last Presidential election.

I thank God more each day for leading me to live among a people who would rather suffer violence than inflict it - just like Jesus; I just learned that they don't even call the police when many of us normally would. I have learned more from their lives than from any amount of teaching I have sat through in these 35 years of being a Christian.

I bless the Lord for them and for people like Paidion who are able to teach us who have lost our vision, what Jesus and the Father are really like, and I pray to serve no other.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:02 pm

God has kindness and severity and Jesus taught that. I've had abusive authority in my life, legalism and a fear of unjust punishment, as well as being deeply insecure in many ways. I still acknowledge that the beginning of wisdom is not the love of God, it's the fear of him. Jesus Christ may have brought in a new era and a stronger teaching of grace, but he did not erase many Old Testament teachings, nor did he say they were in error. God is holy, and the moment we bring him down from a vast and deep reverential awe, we have created a God in our own image. The moment we disrespect God's Word, we do not become more like Jesus, who said every jot and tittle had a purpose. The strongest statement Jesus ever made in his lifetime was not bask in the love of God, it was to fear his Father, who can destroy both soul and body in hell. And love always gives us the whole truth, rather than part of it. Jesus is God's love for the very reason he suffered God's wrath. Jesus is not love to show us God has no wrath. I still struggle differentiating a shrinking fear with a healthy respect. We respect the dangers of nature, we respect the pain that a poisonous snake, a wild bear or a fall off a cliff can give us. We respect the pain and suffering that evil demons can bring on people. And these demons tremble to think of God, and Jude tells us even Michael the archangel keeps a respectful attitude rather than reviling. I will be glad to be lone voice here for the reverence and even fear of God and his holiness and power, because God knows that fear will be the best thing for us, and keep us in his love. Today if you hear his voice harden not your heart! God bless.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Thank you for your reply, Dizerner.

I have read your response and my post several times and do not understand how you can deduce that I regard God as nothing more than an equal whom I disrespect. Is it something I said?

I have no problem with God's severity - everyone needs to know how to be severe without being punitive.

“We respect the dangers of nature, we respect the pain that a poisonous snake, a wild bear or a fall off a cliff can give us.” I don't liken the Father to a poisonous snake, wild bear or a fall off a cliff - not by any means! I fear for anyone who sees him as dangerous as these examples, devoted to our destruction. Nor have I reviled anyone.

A lone voice for the fear of God? You probably aren't. Many are afraid, seeing Him as impersonal, ready to pounce on his creation (which he called good, and loves), for infractions of his rules. Many think they love his power and holiness, but under the surface see them as a threat. Paul says women are to fear their husbands, but he really means respect as I see it. I did not marry a man I would be afraid of.

“...disrespect God's Word ...” It is Jesus who said, “It has been said of old, but I say....” and taught us to ask questions.

If you have no problem with the account of Uzziah being struck dead, you are the first I have ever met, and that is alright; not everyone sees the same. I prefer to be out front with God, which horrifies some, but I learned early on that you can't hide, and you don't want to hide, especially from Him, because how can he help you or answer your questions if you do?

In your opinion, what lesson is to be learned from the account of Uzziah being struck dead?
Does it seem the same to you as the chastisement which God metes out to those whom he loves?

Is the purpose of God's chastisement to bring about our transformation into the image and likeness of Jesus, or to punish us in order to satisfy him somehow? ...or just because we 'deserve' it?

Are you saying that rejoicing in God's love for us is the same as bringing “him down from a vast and deep reverential awe,''? I propose that the two are inseparably related. Basking in His love is not such a bad idea. After all, that's what we do when singing a worship song that exalts him.

You seem to be saying that love does not mean reverence, respect, and commitment to another's welfare, but something contemptible, like warm teddy bears with no substance. Jesus, the personification of love, is the representation of the Jehovah who told us through the Prophets that he is long suffering, that he heals the backslider of his sin, is slow to anger, and merciful.

My husband told me at the beginning of our marriage that he would love me no matter what I do, so I should never fear his wrath or abandonment. For that statement, I love him all the more and take extra steps to show him love and respect. This is like God's love. Have you read the book of Hosea? It is about God's unconditional love.

Of course demons tremble - they operate on fear - giving us fear, then working on our fears.

''I still struggle differentiating a shrinking fear with a healthy respect.'' Your writing reflects this duality. This following statement makes me wonder if fear was ingrained in you early on:

''...because God knows that fear will be the best thing for us, and keep us in his love.''

Do you think it is a good thing, and God is really like what my friends said - the one saying she had sores on her legs because she was once a dancer, the other, that she had a flat tire because she was so preoccupied getting ready for her trip that she didn't take time to stop and pray?

While we were yet sinners, he gave his life for us, made a way for us into the Holy of Holies, and now that we are his, bids us come boldly to the throne of grace to find help in time of need.
Many times in the NT, the first words of greeting are 'Fear not'.

The meek and lowly Jesus is also bold as a lion and wants us likewise to be capable of both. To come before him cowering in fear is to deny that he lives in you and has filled you with his Holy Spirit. How can you trust someone of whom you are afraid?

I tremble lest I should be careless and become deceived somehow, or behave offensively toward God, or a tender-hearted brother or sister, because I love them, not because I am not afraid of them. He encourages us to be patient and long-suffering with one another - will he not be the same with us? In fact, again and again, he says he is just that!

Many Christians today have a 'fear of God' that is like “Santa's coming to Town” ("you better watch out...") with Jesus' name interjected. I've heard a woman tell her daughter, “You don't want to be caught smoking a cigarette when Jesus comes back.” And a grandmother yell at her grandchildren, “Jesus Christ won't let you into heaven with nail polish on.” This is demeaning to both children and God, and a blasphemy at which I tremble for those who say and believe such things. Not saying that you do, but just offering an extreme example to make a point.

I pray this finds you blessed and in peace.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 am

I will be glad to be lone voice here for the reverence and even fear of God and his holiness and power, because God knows that fear will be the best thing for us, and keep us in his love. Today if you hear his voice harden not your heart!
You are not a lone voice.
If you have no problem with the account of Uzziah being struck dead, you are the first I have ever met, and that is alright; not everyone sees the same. I prefer to be out front with God, which horrifies some, but I learned early on that you can't hide, and you don't want to hide, especially from Him, because how can he help you or answer your questions if you do?

In your opinion, what lesson is to be learned from the account of Uzziah being struck dead?
Does it seem the same to you as the chastisement which God metes out to those whom he loves?
Now you have met two! :shock:

Uzzah did nothing immoral but he violated a positive command which God always seems to take more seriously. Consider David who committed adultery and murder while Saul violated positive commands left and right. David certainly suffered but Saul was regarded as the worst offender. And Abraham exhibited the greatest faith of all when he obeyed the positive command to sacrifice his son. God is sovereign and, as Dizerner pointed out, we need to both love and fear Him.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:47 am

Homer wrote:You are not a lone voice.
Sorry Homer that was arrogant of me to say... my feelings got away with me.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:25 pm

2 Corinthians, 3:14 But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away.
15 Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts.
16 But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed.
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Dizerner, you were in good company with Elijah there!

How nice to hear from you, Homer. Yay - an empathetic post!

In the account in 2Samuel 6, below, I see no 'positive command' of God to Uzzah or David, whose idea it was to move the Ark on the cart. Nothing said at all. No word of warning, just, zap!

There is nothing in the account of the ark incident that says Uzzah was a more evil man than David, whose treatment of Michal, not protesting when Saul took her back, then taking her from a husband who loved her, who followed, crying, when David claimed her as property he had paid for, then taking the five sons whom she had raised to give to the Gibeonites to hang in cold blood. Ayy!

I am scratching my head. I cannot fully trust someone I am afraid of, not knowing what will displease him next so severely, and be so quick to punish. I can understand the severity of God with such a people as even we, correcting us as a loving Father, but I cannot take everything in the OT as God's word to us for lessons in life. The Prophets called God merciful, slow to anger, and so many wonderful things; it is hard to believe that the one whom some others in the OT called 'the Lord' was really the Father whom Jesus loved and obeyed and represented fully. I am so glad we have him!

I am tending to think that the Bible is more the account of the progression of mankind from the awful cesspool of pagan living, and pagan ideas about God and gods, to the Kingdom of God, the manifestation of which we continue to look for with longing, and that is possibly why some of the OT writers did not speak of human sacrifice as such a shocking thing - witness Jephthah's sacrifice of his daughter to fulfill a foolish vow he made. Not a word is said. Not even God said a word. I have always been thankful I did not live in those times when life was so cheap.

Bless you -

Ultimately, this is my song - from the OT nevertheless:

Psalm 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.

Here is the full quote of the account of Uzzah (ESV):
2Samuel 6:1 ¶ David again gathered all the chosen men of Israel, thirty thousand.
2 And David arose and went with all the people who were with him from Baale-judah to bring up from there the ark of God, which is called by the name of the LORD of hosts who sits enthroned on the cherubim.
3 And they carried the ark of God on a new cart and brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. And Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, were driving the new cart,
4 with the ark of God, and Ahio went before the ark.
5 And David and all the house of Israel were making merry before the LORD, with songs and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals.
6 ¶ And when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled.
7 And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah, and God struck him down there because of his error, and he died there beside the ark of God.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi Jepne,

Here is the scriptural background regarding Uzzah's demise:

Exodus 25:12-14 (NKJV)

12. You shall cast four rings of gold for it, and put them in its four corners; two rings shall be on one side, and two rings on the other side. 13. And you shall make poles of acacia wood, and overlay them with gold. 14 You shall put the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark, that the ark may be carried by them.

Numbers 4:15 (NKJV)

15. And when Aaron and his sons have finished covering the sanctuary and all the furnishings of the sanctuary, when the camp is set to go, then the sons of Kohath shall come to carry them; but they shall not touch any holy thing, lest they die.
“These are the things in the tabernacle of meeting which the sons of Kohath are to carry.

Numbers 7:5-9 (NKJV)

5. “Accept these from them, that they may be used in doing the work of the tabernacle of meeting; and you shall give them to the Levites, to every man according to his service.” 6. So Moses took the carts and the oxen, and gave them to the Levites. 7. Two carts and four oxen he gave to the sons of Gershon, according to their service; 8. and four carts and eight oxen he gave to the sons of Merari, according to their service, under the authority of Ithamar the son of Aaron the priest. 9. But to the sons of Kohath he gave none, because theirs was the service of the holy things, which they carried on their shoulders.

I should have said Uzzah violated a positive law rather than a command; this might have been more easily understood. The law regarding how the holy things were to be moved applied to all the Israelites.

Time once was when "positive" law and "naturel" law were frequently used terms. Positve laws are those laws which are right because (in this case) God said so. They are based solely in the authority of the one who proclaims them. They are not naturally understood to be right as natural (moral) laws are by their very nature. And it has been said that natural laws "have crutches" because our understanding of right and wrong supports them. Conversely it is argued that positive laws are the greater test of faith because we see no reason to obey them. It is easiest to obey a law when you know it is the right thing to do. It is less easy when you can see no reason why you should; there is no benefit you can see. And it is very hard when the positive command is to do something inherently wrong, such as Abraham's test when he was commanded to sacrifice Isaac. It is hard to think of a greater test of faith than this.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:10 pm

What are the "Commandments" in your opinion? And how do you think you see them outside of the Pentateuch?

At least 50 commands by Christ in the NT. We don't tend to think of his principals as commands but if one considers themselves a follower they really are commands.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks, Homer for this. Your scripture references help.

Maybe it was the same as with Anias and Saphira - that it appeared that God got angry and struck poor Uzza dead (as some say happened with Anias and Saphira) - but God didn't do it - the writer reported it as he saw it. God warned everyone to not touch the Ark in the scriptures you gave, because the power contained in the Ark was so great, it was dangerous - like a live wire.

I have been inclined to believe that Anias and Saphira died pretty much the same way: Peter and John were so full of the Holy Spirit of God that even their shadows healed people. Imagine coming into their presence full of lies about money [some people fell backwards when Jesus approached them], I can imagine these two dropping dead from the clash of the powers within them.

Joh 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

We become what we think God is, how we behold him.

Steve: "We don't tend to think of his principals as commands but if one considers themselves a follower they really are commands."

Jesus is not commanding and demanding. I used to think he was, striking people dead for infractions.

My husband's wish is my command because I love him and want to do everything I can to make him happy and have our life here run smoothly. Also, I told him this, "if you croak, I don't want that unmended shirt sitting there accusing me!"

Jesus said his yoke is easy - my husband says, ''when you get time...."

Return to “General Bible Discussion”