Job 3:25 That which I greatly feared

Lyn63

Job 3:25 That which I greatly feared

Post by Lyn63 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 pm

I would like opinions on this verse. I find myself annoyed by people who use this verse to give a glib answer to concerns I have.

I don't feel that we should be weighed down by fear, but I think it is a misuse of this verse to believe that if we fear something it will come upon us. It seems more like superstition to me. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve

Re: Job 3:25 That which I greatly feared

Post by steve » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:48 pm

It is a superstition. It comes from the Word of Faith belief that your faith creates realities. Your trials, they say, are brought on by the deficiency of your faith. Job is an excellent example of the failure of their system. He was not deficient in any way when his trials came upon him (Job 1:8). In order to find fault (or occasion) in Job himself for his trials, they say that this verse tells us the problem. He had negative faith (fear). That is what brought these things upon him.

This is sheer nonsense, and the verse does not state a principle, address causation, nor predict results. The verse is a mere statement of a personal fact that the worst that Job's fears could have dreaded have now been realized in his trials. It is a personal statement which does not reveal any deficiency on his part, nor a principle for us to observe in order to avoid trials. God said that Job's trials came upon him "without cause" (Job.2:3).

Lyn63

Re: Job 3:25 That which I greatly feared

Post by Lyn63 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Thank you so much! I knew that it was not right, but not why. This is very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Bible Discussion”