It is finished ?

paulespino

It is finished ?

Post by paulespino » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:59 pm

When Jesus said it is finished I think Jesus is saying that the works of the law is finished and it is now the works of Grace. Which means that people will no longer need to try to do the works of the law in order to become righteous all they have to do is have faith in Christ and by Grace we are save.
Our pastor said that it means that everything is finished including our hardships or difficulties in life which also includes sickness.
What do you think?

dizerner

Re: It is finished ?

Post by dizerner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:58 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:09 am

paulespino wrote:When Jesus said it is finished I think Jesus is saying that the works of the law is finished and it is now the works of Grace. Which means that people will no longer need to try to do the works of the law in order to become righteous all they have to do is have faith in Christ and by Grace we are save.
Our pastor said that it means that everything is finished including our hardships or difficulties in life which also includes sickness.
What do you think?
Modern Reformed theology assumes that he meant that the work of the cross was finished. That was taken to an extreme by Chafer and Thieme (where they'd say the spiritual offering to the real mercy seat in the temple in heaven was in fact made at that moment), but most people as far as I can tell assume at least a little bit of proleptic flavor to the comment. The reason is that the effect of the cross wasn't just the shedding of blood (or punishment for sin during the hours of darkness). Christ's death itself (which hadn't happened when he said "it is finished") was necessary for at least two things. The first was the ability of Jews to be released from the Old Covenant per Romans 7. The second was the redemption from the old covenant into the new covenant as described in Hebrews 9. He hadn't actually died yet when he made the comment, but He had to actually, physically die for those two things to happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by the point you made relating to the Law and grace. Those terms are thrown around quite a bit, so I'd have to hear more of an explanation to understand what you meant.

I think your pastor's point is wrong.

Doug

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:26 am

paulespino wrote:When Jesus said it is finished I think Jesus is saying that the works of the law is finished and it is now the works of Grace. Which means that people will no longer need to try to do the works of the law in order to become righteous all they have to do is have faith in Christ and by Grace we are save.
What do you think?
Hi paulespino,

At first glance, I think this is simply referring to what Yeshua said in Luke 18:31. The narrative continues onto vs.33, but I believe this conflates, contextually, with John 19:30 as the physical sufferings of Christ by the hands of the guilty. Of course, the spiritual realities are true as well, however, its understanding came later through the Gospel message.

In any case, I agree with Doug, your Pastor is way-off base and in error.

God Bless.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:00 am

What do you think?

Sounds like your Pastor is a Word of Faith follower. Many Christians in Africa are/were WOF followers at least initially, does your Pastor think their hardships are over?

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:43 pm

I agree with what steve7150 wrote. If Christ died so that our hardships, including sickness would be over, then He, we (our faith), or both have totally failed since 100% of us die.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by the point you made relating to the Law and grace. Those terms are thrown around quite a bit, so I'd have to hear more of an explanation to understand what you meant.
what I meant when I said "works of the law" is that in the OT most Jews are doing and following the law only ( ritual law) in order to become righteous with God. But after the cross people does not have to follow the ritual laws because its been fulfilled by Christ. After the cross people must have faith and obedience to the Holy spirit.

I also disagree with him but my children have friends in this congregation.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”