Jewish Publishing Society's Hebrew Bible

morbo3000

Jewish Publishing Society's Hebrew Bible

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 am

Does anyone have a copy of the Jewish Publishing Society's Hebrew Bible? Do you find many doctrinal differences between it and a Christian translation?
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Paidion

Re: Jewish Publishing Society's Hebrew Bible

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

I have a copy of the Jewish Study Bible published by the Jewish Publication Society.
In my opinion, the primary difference from that of Bibles used in the Christian tradition is the arrangement of the books. They are as follows:

TORAH
Genesis
Exodus
Leviticua
Numbers
Deuteronomy

NEVI'IM
Joshua
Judges
First Samuel
Second Samuel
First Kings
Second Kings
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Ezekiel
The Twelve Minor Prohets
—Hosea
—Joel
—Amos
—Obadiah
—Jonah
—Micah
—Nahum
—Habakkuk
—Zephaniah
—Haggai
—Zechariah
—Malachi

KETHUVIM
Psalms
Proverbs
Job
The Scrolls
—The Song of Songs
—Ruth
—Lamentations
—Ecclesiastes
—Esther
Daniel
Ezra
Nehemiah
First Chronicles
Second Chronicles

I am not sure of how to compare the Bible with "Christian translations" in terms of doctrine. Doctrine is pretty much a matter of interpretation.
Since many Christians interpret Isaiah 53 as referring to Christ's "substitutionary atonement", I will quote the first six verses of Isaiah 53 from the JSB, so that you can compare:

1. "Who can believe what we have heard? Upon whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
2. For he has grown, by His favor, like a tree crown, Like a tree trunk our of arid ground. He had no form or beauty, that we should look at him: no charm, that we should find him pleasing.
3. He was despised, shunned by men, a man of suffering, familiar with disease. As one who hid his face from us, he was despised, we held him of of no account.
4. Yet it was our sickness that he was bearing, our suffering that he endured. We accounted him plagued, smitten and afflicted by God;
5. But he was wounded because of our sins, crushed because ofour iniquities. He bore the chastisement that makes us whole, and by his bruises were were healed.
6. We all went astray like sheep, each going his own way; and the Lord visited upon him the guilt of all of us." (Isaiah 53:106 JSB)

I hope this helps in some way.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”