Why Is The Law Bondage?

seer

Why Is The Law Bondage?

Post by seer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 am

Gal 4:
Hagar and Sarah

22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the[d] two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Why does the law lead to bondage? Any thoughts?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

jarrod

Re: Why Is The Law Bondage?

Post by jarrod » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am

seer wrote:Why does the law lead to bondage? Any thoughts?
Everyone would be a transgressor in one way or another if we were judged by or held under the holy Law alone. I can't think of better imagery than bondage for being held in these transgressions (sin) and their penalty. Conversely, the new covenant, established by our Lord, allows law breakers to be freed from this judgment.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Why does the law lead to bondage? Any thoughts?

Paul said the law is the strength of sin and in Rom 7 said without the law there was no sin. I think the law of Moses brings forth sin because it was nearly impossible to keep it with only human will. So being in sin is in fact being in bondage.

seer

Post by seer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 pm

jarrod wrote:
seer wrote:Why does the law lead to bondage? Any thoughts?
Everyone would be a transgressor in one way or another if we were judged by or held under the holy Law alone. I can't think of better imagery than bondage for being held in these transgressions (sin) and their penalty. Conversely, the new covenant, established by our Lord, allows law breakers to be freed from this judgment.
Yes, but Paul goes on in chapter 5:
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Are we not still open to judgement and eternal loss? Are we not still in bondage? How is being judged under the law any different than being judged by the standard that Paul sets forth?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I believe that when Paul says, "those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God," he is not talking about true disciples that have eternal life and will still undergo some judgment. I would go ahead and categorize those living like that as still being under bondage to their sin.

I do not believe that true disciples will be perfect, but there is a distinction between a disciple who stumbles and one who "lives like this."

Jarrod
seer wrote:
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Are we not still open to judgement and eternal loss? Are we not still in bondage? How is being judged under the law any different than being judged by the standard that Paul sets forth?

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 pm

One of the reasons that the Law creates bondage and doom is that in Deuteronomy 32 God has declared doom to those under that covenant. He promises to rescue his faithful followers out of that covenant before the destruction (explained in some detail in the first part of Romans 7) of that covenant nation. Being stuck in the Mosaic Covenant without a way out resulted in obligations that could never be satisfied, and in the end you'd be part of a nation doomed to fail. There were advantages to being in the covenant if you truly believed in God (you had instruction about God, a promise that rescue would be offered at some point). But, in the end you were counting on being released from the terms of it.

Doug

seer

Post by seer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:57 am

jarrod wrote:I believe that when Paul says, "those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God," he is not talking about true disciples that have eternal life and will still undergo some judgment. I would go ahead and categorize those living like that as still being under bondage to their sin.

I do not believe that true disciples will be perfect, but there is a distinction between a disciple who stumbles and one who "lives like this."

Jarrod
I don't know Jarrod, Paul is speaking to Christians, warning Christians. Remember earlier he also warned that they could "fall" from grace.

seer

Post by seer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 am

dwilkins wrote:One of the reasons that the Law creates bondage and doom is that in Deuteronomy 32 God has declared doom to those under that covenant. He promises to rescue his faithful followers out of that covenant before the destruction (explained in some detail in the first part of Romans 7) of that covenant nation. Being stuck in the Mosaic Covenant without a way out resulted in obligations that could never be satisfied, and in the end you'd be part of a nation doomed to fail. There were advantages to being in the covenant if you truly believed in God (you had instruction about God, a promise that rescue would be offered at some point). But, in the end you were counting on being released from the terms of it.

Doug
Thanks Doug, I'm going to think abut your answer for a while.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:54 am

I have heard some people speak of bondage to the Law. The phrase bondage to the Law sounds different than the Law leading to bondage. Is the idea that the existence of the Law does in fact bring bondage to it? Or, to what does the bondage exist in the presence of the Law?

For example, man's problem with the Law is his sin. Some men hate the Law. But the Bible, even the New Testament writings, say that the Law is good. They also say that the Law is not a cause of death, but that sin is. The Law reveals sin. Even still, I understand that sin existed before the Law came to be. Certainly God is not at fault for giving us His Law. It is we who are at fault for having broken it.

Romans 7:7-23 NASB - 7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET." 8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died; 10 and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me; 11 for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. 13 Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful. 14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.

Galatians 3:17-29 NASB - 17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise. 19 Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made. 20 Now a mediator is not for one party only; whereas God is only one. 21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law. 22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

1 Timothy 1:8-11 NASB - 8 But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10 and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

Certainly there are things you cannot be freed from by the Law.

Acts 13:39 NASB - 39 and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Return to “General Bible Discussion”