The Killing Of Women And Children

seer

The Killing Of Women And Children

Post by seer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:08 am

I remember when I first started to take the bible seriously, how sublime, how intuitively correct I thought the moral teachings of Christ and the N.T. in general were. They seemed so right - of course, yes we should love our neighbors, yes we should forgive, yes we should turn the other cheek, go the extra mile... I can't tell you how disheartening I later found the O.T. commands to kill women and children to be. Those commands seemed to contradict all I had been learning in the New Testament - to this day they bother me. Really, God could not have found a better way to resolve that? And let me be clear, I'm not saying that those commands were unjust or that God did not have a right to take the lives that He gave. It's funny, the flood or how God judged Sodom, really did not bother me. For some reason the idea of God wielding nature to judge sinners did not cause in me the same visceral reaction. I personally get upset when I run over a squirrel, I can't imagine putting a woman or child under my sword at the command of God. I mean it is bad enough that these women and children had to be killed but what would that do to the mindset and moral character of the man that had to do the killing? How one would have to harden his heart towards his fellow man to do such a thing.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

robbyyoung

Re: The Killing Of Women And Children

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 am

Hello Seer and God Bless!

IMHO, God gives us a glimpse of the ancients and how they became totally corrupt, to be destroyed outright. The story is told in Genesis 6 without any further details regarding the prohibition which caused the cleansing. Note, the "sons of God" (Angelic Beings), married the women of earth. Next, this unholy offspring produced "Giants", apparently the animal kingdom became tainted (possibly dinosaurs and the like), and wickedness saturated the earth. Remember, the act of marriage between these two entities caused the flood. Men and women were given in marriage since the garden and "sons of God" were descriptive terms used exclusively for angelic beings in the Old Testament.

So with this being the foundation, Noah found grace and his DNA was not tainted. But somehow the infected DNA was not totally ridden from off the face of the earth. Gen 6:4 "...and also after that", for this is why we read of the "Giants" in the OT and why these people were to be shown no mercy, genocide if you will. They were the offspring of unholy union. The book of Enoch, though not considered to be inspired, you be the judge; gives us the juicy details regarding what happened in Genesis 6.

The 1st century Jews read from the book. Enoch's prophecy is mentioned in the bible as being inspired, so obviously the book itself must be inspired. Whether it's the same book that exist today, can be argued, but we just can't dismiss it. Other than using the same line concerning "God is sovereign" over these matters, we should investigate the biblical account for possible reasons for the killing of whole nations.

Everything I just mentioned is and should be thoroughly critiqued based on the evidence. But it's at least a start to try and make sense of your original question. Since the purge, God's focus, concerning our call of duty, for us on earth is to exhibited extreme compassion, for we were shown extreme mercy. Thanks for the question brother and hope this will at least peek your interest.

God bless!
Last edited by robbyyoung on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

seer

Post by seer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 am

mattrose wrote:you might like this thread

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 07&start=0
Thanks Matt - how have you been BTW?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

seer

Post by seer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am

robbyyoung wrote:Hello Seer and God Bless!

IMHO, God gives us a glimpse of the ancients and how they became totally corrupt, to be destroyed outright. The story is told in Genesis 6 without any further details regarding the prohibition which caused the cleansing. Note, the "sons of God" (Angelic Beings), married the women of earth. Next, this unholy offspring produced "Giants", apparently the animal kingdom became tainted (possibly dinosaurs and the like), and wickedness saturated the earth. Remember, the act of marriage between these two entities caused the flood. Men and women were given in marriage since the garden and "sons of God" were descriptive terms used exclusively for angelic beings in the Old Testament.

So with this being the foundation, Noah found grace and his DNA was not tainted. But somehow the infected DNA was not totally ridden from off the face of the earth. Gen 6:4 "...and also after that", for this is why we read of the "Giants" in the OT and why these people were to be shown no mercy, genocide if you will. They were the offspring of unholy union. The book of Enoch, though not considered to be inspired, you be the judge; gives us the juicy details regarding what happened in Genesis 6.

The 1st century Jews read from the book. Enoch's prophecy is mentioned in the bible as being inspired, so obviously the book itself must be inspired. Whether it's the same book that exist today, can be argued, but we just can't dismiss it. Other than using the same line concerning "God is sovereign" over these matters, we should investigate the biblical account for possible reasons for the killing of whole nations.

Everything I just mentioned is and should be thoroughly critiqued based on the evidence. But it's at least a start to try and make sense of your original question. Since the purge, God's focus, concerning our call of duty, for us on earth is to exhibited extreme compassion, for we were shown extreme mercy. Thanks for the question brother and hope this will at least peek your interest.

God bless!
'

Thanks Rob...

Tres

Post by Tres » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 pm

We have the O.T. for our learning and instruction. I believe many do not comprehend the warfare we are called to, only our enemy is not against flesh and blood. Jesus brought a message that would turn family members against one another. Of David. Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”