Judaizers

Paidion

Re: Judaizers

Post by Paidion » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Doug wrote:I'd originally intended to talk about Judaizers of the 1st Century Temple, but you bring up an interesting point. If the term can be applied to contemporary adherents of Torah then what do we make of Paul saying that they are fallen from grace?
Let's examine Paul's words carefully

Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. (Galatians 5:1-5 NKJV)

The final sentence indicates that the hope of righteousness will ultimately become reality, and will become reality through faith. Paul knew and taught that God requires righteousness, and thus it is necessary. We can become righteous by faith in the fact that God's enabling grace (Titus 2) becomes available to us through the sacrifice of Christ, and is appropriated by faith.

Thus Jewish people who trust their Messiah Jesus (and Gentile Judaizers also) have been set free from the burden on the Mosaic Law which can never render anyone righteous by the self-effort of trying to follow these Mosaic injunctions.

The word translated as "justify" does not mean "counted righteous", but rather sometimes means "shown to be righteous" and often means "rendered righteous." These Galatians could never become "justified" or rendered righteous through trying to keep the Mosaic Law unless they succeeded in keeping the whole Law in every detail. Furthermore, if they regard Law keeping as the road to righteousness, they are estranged from Christ who, by his death, provided the REAL way to become righteous.

In the expression translated "you have fallen from grace" (in the AV and in the NKJV), there is no word "from" in the Greek. Rather the word for "grace" is in the genitive case, and the word translated as "fallen" often means "failed" according to most lexicons, and it is so translated by virtually all translators in I Cor. 13:8 (Love never fails) and also in Romans 9:16. With this in mind, let's consider the translation, "You being righteous by Law have failed of grace." In other words, as long as one attempts to be righteous through striving to keep the Mosaic law, he will never avail himself of the enabling grace made available through Christ, which will facilitate righteous living.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:37 pm

We don't have to spend too much time on the definition of justification since I've already made this point in the past, but the differences in our definitions are what will make this analysis confusing. As I've said, in most instances of dikaiosune I think that it should be translated "justified" or "justification" in stead of "righteous" or "righteousness". Justified type terms emphasize being judicially declared acquitted and on the side of the good guys and righteousness type terms emphasize moral goodness. So, in Galatians, the issue in my opinion is being declared a good guy, not being morally excellent (there is nothing moral about circumcision, it's a sign of membership or right of passage into the Mosaic Covenant nation). In my opinion, it's incoherent to approach Galatians 5:1-5 as a mix of the two ideas. The last sentence should read, "You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law [or, justified by membership in the Mosaic Covenant nation]; you have fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of justification by faith [or eagerly hope for the justification by faith like Abraham had]. The issue is justification by membership in the Mosaic Covenant nation vs. justification by faith like Abraham had, not justification by good works vs. faith.

Doug

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 am

Paidion,

You wrote:
These Galatians could never become "justified" or rendered righteous through trying to keep the Mosaic Law unless they succeeded in keeping the whole Law in every detail. Furthermore, if they regard Law keeping as the road to righteousness, they are estranged from Christ who, by his death, provided the REAL way to become righteous.
In each reference to "law", you capitalize; I'm assuming you mean the Law of Moses in particular, or do you mean any kind of law keeping?

It seems to me the difference is in trusting in self (performance) rather than trusting in Christ. This could then be (a) trusting in Christ's performance of a sacrifice pleasing to God, in our place, or (b) trusting in Christ's enabling of ourselves to conform to God's requirements. Or it could be a+b. If it is only b, then it seems obvious that Christ's sacrifice has come up short in efficacy because "we all stumble in many ways".

Certainly the righteousness we strive for was obtained by many OT saints and it doesn't seem that Christ's sacrifice could have helped them prior to its occurrence.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:25 pm

In each reference to "law", you capitalize; I'm assuming you mean the Law of Moses in particular, or do you mean any kind of law keeping?
Yes, I mean the Law of Moses in particular, since that seems to be what Paul is referencing here.
It seems to me the difference is in trusting in self (performance) rather than trusting in Christ.
I, too, think that to be the essence of the difference.
This could then be (a) trusting in Christ's performance of a sacrifice pleasing to God, in our place, or (b) trusting in Christ's enabling of ourselves to conform to God's requirements. Or it could be a+b. /quote]

As you know, I maintain only (b) and deny (a).
If it is only b, then it seems obvious that Christ's sacrifice has come up short in efficacy because "we all stumble in many ways".
It's not obvious to me. Recently my wife had a hip replacement. Did the surgery "come up short" because she had to use a walker for a month, followed by two canes? The healing of the muscles, etc. took time. The complete healing of our sin sickness takes time, seemingly even a life time. But we are encouraged by the words of Paul:

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

That is our great hope! The hope of righteousness! If we are on the narrow road that leads to life and righteousness, continually being delivered from sin, and more and more readily overcoming, then we will be welcomed by God into His presence.
Certainly the righteousness we strive for was obtained by many OT saints and it doesn't seem that Christ's sacrifice could have helped them prior to its occurrence.
I see their "righteousness" as coming far short of that of ours, made available through the enabling grace of Christ.
Consider King David. He was "a man after God's heart." But surely his adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband was not "after God's heart." When we read the Old Testament it is obvious that the standard of righteousness was much different from that which Christ taught: "It was said by them of old ..., but I say to you ..."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”