"The Bible" History Channel miniseries

morbo3000

"The Bible" History Channel miniseries

Post by morbo3000 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Might be interesting to have some running commentary on this show for those watching it.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

morbo3000

Re: "The Bible" History Channel miniseries

Post by morbo3000 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm

The miracles look so real with the modern special effects.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 pm

I watched it (except the last few minutes or so b/c the recording cut off). The (very brief) depiction of Noah and the flood was interesting. God's visit with Abraham (the three men) about his wife and leading up to the judgement of Sodom was interesting to see. It's interesting to see the portrayal of Noah, Abraham, Moses, and a few others.

It moved very from Abraham to Moses with a great deal left out, of course. As entertainment, it wasn't bad, except that it was a bit boring at times because the stories are so well known. That's the tricky part about adapting any well known story, I guess.

That's all I can say. I'd like to see more of it.

Have a good week, you all. :)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

I also thought it a bit boring, but the problem is it is covering material very familiar to us and on the other hand is covering so much ground in so little time (at least the first program) that a person unfamiliar with the bible may be confused.

One flaw, I think, was the portrayel of Isaac as an unwilling child when he was about to be sacrificed; I believe him to have been a grown man who could have overpowered Abraham had he chosen to resist.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 pm

I was fairly bored with it as well, though my children dug it.

I have to say though, it forced me into explaining a god who would ask a father to sacrifice his son. It is a difficult story in the first place, but seeing it acted out made it moreso. I think my explanation to them was adequate for their stage of development, but it wasn't for me. I don't want to get into that here.. it's not the point of the thread. But it shows how seeing things acted out can add emphasis to a story we know well.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

For what it's worth, the last one was more entertaining to me. It went from the prophet Jeremiah to the killing of John the baptism (I think). The actor portraying Jesus is okay, I think. I grew up watching the Jesus Film (a Campus Crusade for Christ movie, I think), so that's the guy I like best.
:)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 am

Here's what a friend of mine noted:

so.. for those of you (me included) that watch the Bible TV series - I am learning more and more that this is not such a good TV Series after all.. 60 second discussion below about this week's episode. There's a lot more like this but this Series is portraying interesting stories, but where is the Gospel?

http://www.wretchedradio.com/player/dai ... 130318.mp3

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 am

I enjoyed this last one. It was all in the gospels. I was moved and inspired a few times. They took liberties that I wouldn't have and made a few odd choices, but there was nothing that struck me as awful. I missed the first minute or so.

Regarding that 60 second audio review posted by dh above (which I have just listened to):

Yeah, the actor portraying Jesus is kind of a handsome guy. Eh, that hasn't bothered me. His other criticisms are valid. I can understand leaving out things (e.g., the dove/Holy Spirit/voice at baptism) to some extent, but it is kind of annoying when they just alter what Jesus actually said, even if it's not so very different. Why mess with it at all!? Still, I enjoyed it for what it was. I couldn't say what kind of impact it might have on others (nominal or non-Christians).

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 am

One problem; Moses asks God at the burning bush (something like) “Are you God?” and God answers “I am” (oh, brother).
I love the show otherwise. I have listened to a few hours of criticism of the narrative on internet Christian radio but what do we expect its TV!!!! (and secular to boot) All books made into movies leave out too much.
Otherwise my dream and wish has always been to have been a butterfly on the wall as the whole bible unfolded from Genesis on, and this is one way for me to live that wish.

The costumes, landscape and sets are fantastic, love the casting, Samson was exceptional, the overhead Temple model (digital?) last night was breathtaking for me, even the Judas betrayal was believable and well done.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am

One problem; Moses asks God at the burning bush (something like) “Are you God?” and God answers “I am” (oh, brother).
i've only seen parts of the episode with abraham. "oh, brother.." was my response to a few parts too, and though if ever watch it again it would probably be on netflix many months from now, i also thought it wasn't that bad.

grace and peace.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”