Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

darinhouston

Re: Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:44 pm

If Jarrod can get the wiki back up and running, we could agree on a format to include a verse by verse bullet-point and x-ref sort of notes section and a section by section running commentary section -- perhaps, itself in two sections - like Matthew Brown (a concise summation of the main points and a full commentary essentially the notes from the lectures). This would allow for several versions of a book or study guide, etc. to be kept up by script and published periodically to the various locations...

For example:

John 1

study notes:
1:1 - most commentators suggest x, consider alternative meanings of y and z, and read in light of Daniel x:y -- abc version does not include x. see http://link.to.concisecommentary and http://link.to.fullcommentary

concise commentary:
1:1-3 -- summarize lecture section briefly but touching most if not all points -- blah blah blah blah blah - scientists think blah blah blah -- theologians have debated blah blah blah -- see further http://link.to.full.commentary

full commentary:
1:1-3 -- point by point lecture notes -- much more blah blah blah and version comparisons blah blah blah - here's a poem illustrating blah blah blah -- external resources: blah blah blah

might want to add a users notes section, too where folks might disagree or have information beyond Steve and his lectures:

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:53 pm

steve wrote: if you wish to use the most recent version, you may have to work from scratch.
Just to be sure, is this the most recent version?

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 pm

http://theos.org/wiki/ is back up. Let me know who wants an account and I'll put you in the wiki group so you can edit the pages.

Jarrod
darinhouston wrote:If Jarrod can get the wiki back up and running, we could agree on a format to include a verse by verse bullet-point and x-ref sort of notes section and a section by section running commentary section -- perhaps, itself in two sections - like Matthew Brown (a concise summation of the main points and a full commentary essentially the notes from the lectures). This would allow for several versions of a book or study guide, etc. to be kept up by script and published periodically to the various locations...

For example:

John 1

study notes:
1:1 - most commentators suggest x, consider alternative meanings of y and z, and read in light of Daniel x:y -- abc version does not include x. see http://link.to.concisecommentary and http://link.to.fullcommentary

concise commentary:
1:1-3 -- summarize lecture section briefly but touching most if not all points -- blah blah blah blah blah - scientists think blah blah blah -- theologians have debated blah blah blah -- see further http://link.to.full.commentary

full commentary:
1:1-3 -- point by point lecture notes -- much more blah blah blah and version comparisons blah blah blah - here's a poem illustrating blah blah blah -- external resources: blah blah blah

might want to add a users notes section, too where folks might disagree or have information beyond Steve and his lectures:

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 pm

jarrod wrote:http://theos.org/wiki is back up.
Didn't work for me, but the link below did. If you can, add me to the list of users who can log in there. Thanks.

http://theos.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Perry

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Jarrod,
I can log in to the wiki now. Thanks. I have a few questions.

1). How would be the best way for me to contact you with technical concerns? Should I write you here in the forums, post to the discussion in the wiki, e-mail, or some other way?
2). I was going to add an area on the main page for "Topical Lectures", but I didn't seem to have the authority to do so.
3). (and this is for everyone). It appears that wiki was set up to be (as this thread is named) a Bible commentary. The main page is broken down by books of the Bible. However, the first thing I was going to tackle was Steve's "Authority of Scripture" lectures. The question, though, is whether those should be part of a separate, topical lectures, wiki, keeping the "Community supported Bible commentary" pure, or would it be simpler just to add some links for topical lectures on the main page? What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Perry

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Perry

1) I think this forum is the best way to communicate. It would be a reference for anyone else wanting to get involved and allow for everyone to collaborate on issues/design/etc
2) I believe I have corrected the permissions now for you. You should be able to edit the pages... let me know if this is not the case.
3) I agree. I envision adding a Topical section that mirrors all of the individual topics from the audio series that we would be working on (i.e. Authority of Scripture) with the individual lectures / topics. But, leave the Bible layout to also allow notes to be added for the verse-by-verse teaching. All of the current content on the chapters can be erased that was added before to start anew. I would rather it all be used for the "Steve Gregg Bible Commentary," so just to reiterate, all the current content as well as the titles and descriptions can be erased.

This sounds fun! Darin will probably have some good ideas also on how to get a simple design/outline for creating new notes/pages to maintain some type of uniformity.

If anyone wants to make a logo/design for the wiki, I can change the one that is currently showing.

Jrod
Perry wrote:Hi Jarrod,
I can log in to the wiki now. Thanks. I have a few questions.

1). How would be the best way for me to contact you with technical concerns? Should I write you here in the forums, post to the discussion in the wiki, e-mail, or some other way?
2). I was going to add an area on the main page for "Topical Lectures", but I didn't seem to have the authority to do so.
3). (and this is for everyone). It appears that wiki was set up to be (as this thread is named) a Bible commentary. The main page is broken down by books of the Bible. However, the first thing I was going to tackle was Steve's "Authority of Scripture" lectures. The question, though, is whether those should be part of a separate, topical lectures, wiki, keeping the "Community supported Bible commentary" pure, or would it be simpler just to add some links for topical lectures on the main page? What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Perry

Perry

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Okay, so I've added the section for topical lectures. And the first link to a topical lecture. I've posted a transcript of the first half-hour of the first lecture from "Authority of Scriptures".

I can tell right now that a straight transcription of "Authority of Scripture" is not going to work. First off, it's way too labor intensive (at least for me.) It's taking me about an hour to transcribe ten minutes of audio. At this rate, I'll need something like 140 hours just to complete a raw transcription of the entire series.

Secondly, even if I did it, the value of the result would be, in my opinion, a bit questionable. See for yourself. The spoken word is simply a different medium that the written word. A straight transcript might require less clean-up for verse-by-verse teachings (ala Vernon McGee). The first lecture of "Authority" though, needs some pretty heavy-handed editing I think.

I started to post my personal notes on the series, but those have a lot of little idiosyncrasies that wouldn't mean anything to anyone but me, and might not capture the spirit of Steve's original message anyhow. Moreover, when I tried to copy from my editor to the wiki editor, it was a train wreck, and I have very little patience for fussing around with formatting.

I haven't given up though. I'm still working on a compromise, and I solicit ya'lls ideas for how best to proceed.

Perry

Post by Perry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Still plugging away. I found that, by making a few changes to the way I was doing the dictation I could improve my transcription speed. Now, instead if an hour to do ten minutes I can get ten minutes in more like fourty-five. I can see now why dictation machines have foot pedals. If my i-touch had a foot pedal it would speed things up. I'm going to at least finish transcribing the first lecture... (maybe the first two lectures) mainly because I'm kind of stubborn.

Jarrod,
Was there a reason you didn't want the link back to the original audio file in the Wiki?

[edit] Nevermind. I see what you did now.

john6809

Post by john6809 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Probably a dumb question from a not-so-computer-savvy guy but, is there software that would enable us to play Steve's teachings directly to text? Even if it was only 80 percent correct and in need of puntuation, etc., I would find it much easier to convert to text and then later listen to the session and edit the text at the same time.

I would love to be involved in this but I doubt I can type more than about 30 words a minute. Not fast enough to be useful with the constraints on my time.

I looked briefly at Dragon Dictation on the net, but don't know if this would work at all for this application.
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

john6809

Post by john6809 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Sorry, that software was Dragon Naturallyspeaking by Nuance.
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

Return to “General Bible Discussion”