Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

Apollos

Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

Post by Apollos » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:19 am

There are lots of times, especially when talking with Calvinists, where I wish I could remember what Steve had said about a particular verse.

Would there be any interest in producing a commentary? There aren't that many people here, but I could probably transcribe a tape or two, and if all of us did the same, we might be able to get some of books of the NT (like the Gospel of John and Romans) into written form. Then either Steve or someone else could take the notes and tidy them up.

Logos are planning to open a store where people can sell their own e-books. Steve could sell the books on there (or Amazon, or anywhere else that allows e-books) and raise some extra support (minus whatever fees Logos or anyone will charge - got to be cheaper than a publisher).

Just some thoughts, but I'm willing to give my time to this, if others are, and if Steve agrees to this.

jarrod

Re: Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

Post by jarrod » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:00 am

Man I have always wanted to do this -- have a lot of the notes/audio transcribed into text that could be published, searched, etc. The guy who ran audio doctrine started this process by breaking the audio into short clips and sorting them by the topic/category Steve was covering at the time. http://theos.org/audiodoctrine/ contains his work since he stopped hosting the site.

I would be willing to also commit to this task. We would have to come up with a consistent format/interface so that there was some semblance of uniformity, but it would definitely be beneficial for me!

Jarrod
Apollos wrote:There are lots of times, especially when talking with Calvinists, where I wish I could remember what Steve had said about a particular verse.

Would there be any interest in producing a commentary? There aren't that many people here, but I could probably transcribe a tape or two, and if all of us did the same, we might be able to get some of books of the NT (like the Gospel of John and Romans) into written form. Then either Steve or someone else could take the notes and tidy them up.

Logos are planning to open a store where people can sell their own e-books. Steve could sell the books on there (or Amazon, or anywhere else that allows e-books) and raise some extra support (minus whatever fees Logos or anyone will charge - got to be cheaper than a publisher).

Just some thoughts, but I'm willing to give my time to this, if others are, and if Steve agrees to this.

Perry

Post by Perry » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

I've heard, in one of Steve's lectures though I don't recall which*, that he actually tried this project at one time in the past. He mentioned that there was someone in his group who could type fast enough to keep up with his speaking speed. So they transcribed several of his tapes. Steve then went review the documents thus produced, to "clean them up" and found that the task involved so much work that it would be easier to start from scratch and create a written document from the get go. So the whole project was abandoned.

Having said that though, I would still like to see a project like this completed, and would be willing to join in the effort. I think it would be of great worth. At least something like a faq would be very helpful. I think for such a project to work, it would mean shielding Steve from as much of the labor as possible, (though he should certainly have final say on what gets attached to his name).

I started a project similar to this a long time ago with regard to the Life of Christ series, but there seemed to be very little interest in it, so I let it drop. You can find that abortive attempt at this link.

* I think this may have been in the History of the Church series, when he was talking about one of the church fathers who produced a great amount of material because he had several scribes who could essentially write down everything this forefather said.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

Perry wrote: I think this may have been in the History of the Church series, when he was talking about one of the church fathers
that's correct, it was when he was talking about origin of alexandria.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:37 pm

does anyone know a court reporter?

i think it would awesome to learn what they do.. for purposes such as this.

I wonder how many pages Steve's 90 some lectures on the teachings of Christ would be?

TK

steve

Post by steve » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:03 pm

There is a court stenographer, named Jonathan Wonnell, who has already done this. It is not fully useful as book manuscript in its present form, but this is what he has done:

Several years ago, Jonathan went through the Great Commission School course in Thunder Bay, Ontario. As a professional stenographer, he was able to take extensive notes on lectures. Since the school featured other teachers besides myself, he later went through all of my verse-by-verse lectures on tape and completed the project. He sent them to me a few years ago in digital form.

The reason nothing has yet been done with them is that they would require editing and reformatting for publication. It is not a verbatim transcript of the lectures. The notes are principally in "bullet-point" format —which is very helpful, but not as readable as is text in paragraph form. He used no capitalization, and, as his work is over a thousand pages long, it would be quite a task for someone just to go through and properly capitalize the appropriate words that needed this done. Then reshaping the whole into publishable manuscript would be a big job for a proficient editor.

In looking over his work, I had the impression he also included a few points from other sources, which I did not remember bringing up in the lectures. I would not object to such additional information being included, of course, though I would not wish to be given the credit for knowledge that was someone else's—not mine.

What he has done is already a monumental work, and he does not mind whatever I may choose to do with his documents. I would be delighted to have volunteers working on various parts of this corpus, editing and formatting according to some pre-agreed-upon structure, and then posting the completed whole as an e-book. Of course, I would be opposed to selling the e-book. It would have to be made available for free, though those who used it could be encouraged to make donations, if they felt so led.

Some of my topical series have also been reduced to extensive, detailed written notes by others than Jonathan, including some by Christopher, who posts here at the forum (See them under "PDF Lecture Outlines Written by Chris Crombie" at http://digitalministries.us/page9.html)

If any of you wished to commit some energy to editing any portion of this project, it might be that many hands would make light work, resulting in an actual finished project in my lifetime! I would wish to do the final edit myself, of course, but would be more prepared to do so if the initial reformatting, capitalization and punctuation was delivered to me as an initial draft done by others. No one could be paid for their work, so it would have to be done with the heart of serving the Lord. In the finished publication, acknowledgement would be made to those who worked on the project.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Definitely me -- I think a wiki is the right tool at least at first. More than reducing lectures to full commentary notes, though, I'd like to see something more widely useful for more "normal" people and not just folks like us who would consume every bit of it -- I'd like to see expanded footnotes in a study bible format . I think that may be more doable, and some of the open bible formats could be used to put it in an iPhone app, etc. I have wanted to do it just for my own thoughts over time for that matter. shorter points to identify and minimally suggest different interpretations or historical notes or highlighting how related passages relate, etc.

If all we want is to reduce the lectures to written word (and yes I do want that), there are companies who do this pretty well using automated tools and there are transcribers in India that are pretty cheap. It wouldn't take a lot of raised money to do that.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:44 am

Okay, I'll officially call dibs on "Authority of Scripture". It's big enough to sink my teeth into, but short enough to finish.

Steve, if you have Jonathan's transcription of that as a starting point, I'll take it. Otherwise, I'll dive in on my own. You should have my e-mail from my Great Commission application.
darinhouston wrote:I think a wiki is the right tool at least at first...
I like this idea. Besides all the normal advantages of a wiki: 1). It imposes a kind of style that should be pretty consistent. 2). It's allows for the hyper-textual interrelationships between different teachings. 3). Expandable as new technologies come along. (There are some pretty exciting wiki-to-print tools in this context.)

Darin, wouldn't we need a server to host the wiki? Are you familiar with the technical challenges. I haven't researched setting up a wiki, but I'm fairly technically savvy and can look into it if you need me to. Would we want to limit access to who can edit the wiki to begin with?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:47 am

It's already in place, but seems to be broken at present...

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... eb90e78673

steve

Post by steve » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Perry,

Jonathan did not do the notes on the Authority of Scripture series (neither did Christopher, I think). The newest version has been posted since those brothers did their work anyway, so, if you wish to use the most recent version, you may have to work from scratch. However, you are welcome to that franchise!

Return to “General Bible Discussion”