The Relationship of the Old to the New

charleswest

The Relationship of the Old to the New

Post by charleswest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 am

I was wondering if the following statement has any veracity to it?

"The New Testament is the written record of the words and deeds of the fulfillment of the Old Testament by the Holy Spirit through the Messiah."
“I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views... ” Abraham Lincoln. Excerpt from a letter to Horace Greeley. 22 August 1862
= = = =
Be Blessed. We Are Loved...
cw

Candlepower

Re: The Relationship of the Old to the New

Post by Candlepower » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am

charleswest wrote:I was wondering if the following statement has any veracity to it?

"The New Testament is the written record of the words and deeds of the fulfillment of the Old Testament by the Holy Spirit through the Messiah."
Charles,

I can't think of a passage that validates that statement exactly. Certainly, the NT does record the fulfillment of many OT prophecies, but the statement in question may be an overstatement, or an over-simplification of all that the New Testament is.

For instance, the OT contains prophesy about the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. To my knowledge, the NT (which also contains AD 70 prophecy) does not record its fulfillment, though we know it was fulfilled. Also, OT prophesies about the return of Christ, the last judgement, and the new heaven & earth shall be fulfilled, in my opinion. Then there is the matter of OT prophecies relating to the growth of God's Kingdom -- they are still being fulfilled as the Great Commission remains in force.

So, some OT fulfillment is recorded in the NT, some OT fulfillment is not recorded in the NT, some OT fulfillment remains in the future, and some OT fulfillment remains in progress.

I think I know what the statement is meant to say, but I think there's too much meat to pack into that little shell.

Candlepower

JacobMartinMertens

Re: The Relationship of the Old to the New

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:08 pm

In Christ there truly is no disagreement between that which is written in the New Testament writings and all that came before it.

Certainly the new covenant is a better covenant than the old covenant. So it is important to study these covenants and come to an understanding of what this means.

For example, is the new covenant different from the old covenant? Or, what is the difference if any between the old covenant and the new covenant?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Return to “General Bible Discussion”