LimitedNegatives?

Suzana

Re: LimitedNegatives?

Post by Suzana » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 am

TK wrote:Speaking of Greggisms, (and i am getting somewhat off track now)- my wife and i have a habit of finding what we have called "sayisms" when we watch movies like "The Ten Commandments"- you know-- little slices of cheesy dialogue whose sole purpose is for dramactic effect. examples:
TK
continuing the sidetrack for a bit...

I personally like this one recent one from Christopher, (maybe not cheesy, but definitely on the dramatic side):
...I got to the point that I'd rather pluck my eye out with a spoon than to enter into (or even read) another circular debate on ....

Darin, I haven't seen the "Eats Shoots and Leaves" book, but just looked it up.

"So punctuation really does matter, even if it is only occasionally a matter of life and death. "

Reminds me of the scripture in Luke:

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you shall be with Me in Paradise.
or should it be:
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you today, You shall be with Me in Paradise.
Steve wrote:On the question of the origin of the expression "limited negative," I did not make it up...
Steve! Like we would even think of accusing you?! :shock:
Suzana

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 am

Back on topic...

Hosea 6:6 (KJV) For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

? For I desired mercy, not (just) sacrifice;
Suzana

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:27 am

Perhaps there is a better explanation for this. Last night I browsed through Alexander Campbell's book "Christianity Restored", in particular the 85 pages devoted to principles of interpretation where he goes into great detail on various figures of speech. For example, he divides metonomy into four different kinds, giving many examples from scripture.

I could find nothing about "limited negative (negation)" but found that he believed what we are discussing is a kind of metaphorical speech. Campbell wrote:

The inhabitants of the East frequently put the action for the disposition, and this gives a boldness to their metaphors almost unknown to the people of the west.

"Not to lay up treasures on earth, but in heaven;" "to hate father and mother and one's own life," are, in the Hebrew idiom, equivalent to preferring heavenly treasures to earthly; and Jesus Christ to father, mother, and one's own self.

Campbell was a strong advocate to the historical approach to interpretation. He wrote:

In the last place, in explaining metaphorical expressions, we must not judge the imagery from modern usage, because the ancients and people of the East attached to those images, or metaphors, very different ideas.

As an example, he said we are insulted when being referred to as an ass, whereas in the East it was honorable. Princes rode on asses, (as did our Savior).

So Suzana's example would be "I prefer (or value) mercy over sacrifice".

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Hosea 6:6 (KJV) For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

? For I desired mercy, not (just) sacrifice;
Not this time, Suzana. God doesn't desire sacrifice AT ALL.

Ps 40:6 Sacrifice and offering you do not desire, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.

When He brought the Israelites out of Egypt, He didn't say a word to them about sacrifices!
He asked only that they listen to Him (He gave them an open ear), and asked them for their obedience.

Jeremiah 7:22,23 For in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak to your fathers or command them concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices. But this command I gave them, ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’

Why then later on, did He give the Israelites specific instructions about sacrificing? I think it was by way of concession. Other nations offered appeasing sacrifices to THEIR gods so that their gods would not harm them. So the Israelites wished to do the same. So God allowed it as long as they didn't sacrifice to OTHER gods.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Paidion,

You wrote:
Why then later on, did He give the Israelites specific instructions about sacrificing? I think it was by way of concession. Other nations offered appeasing sacrifices to THEIR gods so that their gods would not harm them. So the Israelites wished to do the same. So God allowed it as long as they didn't sacrifice to OTHER gods.
If all God was concerned with was whether they sacrificed to other Gods, then all the considerable detailed instructions, regarding precisely how the sacrifice must be done, make no sense. Why, then, death for offering "strange fire"? It would seem that any old fire would do.

And the sacrifice that was a shadow of the true sacrifice would inform us that Jesus went to the cross as the true "concession", not the Lamb who took away the sin of the world.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:53 am

And the sacrifice that was a shadow of the true sacrifice would inform us that Jesus went to the cross as the true "concession", not the Lamb who took away the sin of the world.
The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world actually takes it away. He delivers His people from sin. The angel announced: "He will save his people from their sins."
Matthew 1:21. Yes, Jesus sacrificed Himself, and the Father sacrificed His Son. But Jesus wasn't sacrificed to God as an appeasing sacrifice so that God wouldn't punish us. The heathen sacrificed to their gods to avoid punishment. The Israelites sacrificed to their God for the same reason. God even accepted their sacrifices as such (though He didn't want them). However, . "The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all men everywhere to repent..."Acts 17:30 When we repent and submit to the authority of the Son,, we are delivered from actual sin by His blood. This is a far cry from being an appeasing sacrifice.

Appeasing sacrifices are not a "shadow" of the true sacrifice, or if so, they are a very indistinct "shadow". Their purpose was entirely different.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:55 am

steve wrote: and (possibly) John 1:13

"who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

which would mean (to the chagrin of Calvinists): "who were born, not ONLY of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but ALSO of God."
Why would Calvinist have a problem with this? If read in the manner you suggest, a Calvinist might easily reply, all it says is that the will of man is involved in the first birth, but Christians do not ONLY have this birth, but also the birth in which the will of man is not a cause.

Maybe you've have experiences with Calvinists that suggests otherwise, but I'm just not seeing the problem.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:29 am

Glenn,

Calvinists use this verse as if it is speaking ONLY of the second birth, and giving the following details about it:
1) It is not of blood
2) It is not of the will of the flesh
3) IT IS NOT OF THE WILL OF MAN
4) It is entirely of God

This they take as a denial of the involvement of human will in conversion—it is all "of God," excluding the exercise of human will.

If, on the other hand, this is what we have been calling a limited negative, then the statement is speaking of two separate births, not one. It would be saying that the people under consideration had not ONLY experienced natural birth (of blood, of the will of the flesh, of the will of man), like everyone else, but they have ALSO experienced a second birth, which was "of God."

This interpretation seems necessary, since John would otherwise be saying that Christians had never experienced natural birth at all—"These were not born of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man..." which would not be true, since everyone, including Christians, has experienced such a birth. He would be saying that these had not only experienced such a birth, but had also experienced a second birth, which was "of God."

Seen this way, the three phrases, "of blood...of the will of the flesh...of the will of man" would be seen only as references to the first birth, and would not be telling us anything about the second, except that it was a different one. That is, they would not be telling us that the second birth did not involve the will of man at all (since the scripture everywhere affirms that man must make a choice—and even Calvinists believe that the will of man is involved after God changes the will). The mention of "the will of man" would be irrelevant to anything John is saying about the second birth—and thus would not be a denial of human will in the second birth—since the phrase relates only to the first birth.

John's statement could then be paraphrased: "These people's experience was not confined merely to such a birth as involves human bloodlines, fleshly cravings and human motivations, but in addition, they have known a supernatural birth from God [which may or may not have involved human volition as a factor, but that is beyond the range of John's consideration in his statement]."

My suggestion about this would not disprove Calvinism in the least. It would simply take this verse (a Calvinist favorite) off the current list of texts relevant to proving the Calvinist's position—hence my reference to Calvinist chagrin.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:27 am

steve wrote:Glenn,

Calvinists use this verse as if it is speaking ONLY of the second birth, and giving the following details about it:
1) It is not of blood
2) It is not of the will of the flesh
3) IT IS NOT OF THE WILL OF MAN
4) It is entirely of God

This they take as a denial of the involvement of human will in conversion—it is all "of God," excluding the exercise of human will.

If, on the other hand, this is what we have been calling a limited negative, then the statement is speaking of two separate births, not one. It would be saying that the people under consideration had not ONLY experienced natural birth (of blood, of the will of the flesh, of the will of man), like everyone else, but they have ALSO experienced a second birth, which was "of God."
In fact Calvinists use this verse as a statement that contrasts the two births - and I think you're doing that too.

Born of blood, of the flesh, of the will of man, in this verse, are references to human birth. We agree. So all it says is that these people are not born of human birth only, but also of God. You can't use the limited negative (not only - but also) to take all (or any) of the attributes of the one birth and apply them to the second. For example, the divine rebirth is certainly not of flesh! So there's really no issue for the Calvinist here, because the verse still ends up saying that the second birth is not of the will of man.
This interpretation seems necessary, since John would otherwise be saying that Christians had never experienced natural birth at all—"These were not born of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man..." which would not be true, since everyone, including Christians, has experienced such a birth. He would be saying that these had not only experienced such a birth, but had also experienced a second birth, which was "of God."
Agreed - as any Calvinist would agree also.
Seen this way, the three phrases, "of blood...of the will of the flesh...of the will of man" would be seen only as references to the first birth, and would not be telling us anything about the second, except that it was a different one.
Then why contrast those elements at all? It seems far more plausible that the author is picking out things in the first birth that are unlike the second birth.

Don't take this as a slight - but be extremely wary of finding new terms (like "limited negative") and using them like a new toy to see what you can get them to do.
That is, they would not be telling us that the second birth did not involve the will of man at all (since the scripture everywhere affirms that man must make a choice—and even Calvinists believe that the will of man is involved after God changes the will). The mention of "the will of man" would be irrelevant to anything John is saying about the second birth, since the phrase relates only to the first birth.
Whether Calvinist or not, the verse has every appearance of contrasting two births.
John's statement could then be paraphrased: "These people's experience was not confined merely to such a birth as involves human bloodlines, fleshly cravings and human motivations, but in addition, they have known a supernatural birth from God [which may or may not have involved human bloodlines, fleshly cravings and human motivations, but that is beyond the range of John's consideration in his statement]."
See the change I made to your comment in square brackets. I think when stated that way, it becomes much clearer what John is doing. He's saying that the new birth is not like the old one. I would think that's a view more or less shared by Arminians and Calvinists about what this verses is doing. How the statement about the human will applies, is a matter of much debate as we know.

So it's really not to the Calvinist's chagrin at all - unless you're able to show a Calvinist that John is leaving human flesh and bloodlines open as possible in the new birth (i.e. he's not ruling it out with this statement).

steve

Post by steve » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:47 am

Glenn,

You make good points. I appreciate your clarity of thought—especially in the statement:

"Then why contrast those elements at all? It seems far more plausible that the author is picking out things in the first birth that are unlike the second birth."

This seems very possible. However, to me, it does not seem a necessary inference. Continuing with the assumption that this is an example of our "limited negative," and (for the sake of possible clarification) using the word "merely" where we had heretofore been supplying "only," John's comment would not necessarily be concerning itself with how many features the natural birth and the spiritual birth might share in common with each other, and in what points they might differ.

The children of God have not "merely" been born in the natural sense. This natural birth comes about (at least so far as humans can perceive it) "merely" through a human bloodline, "merely" through physical craving, and/or "merely" to satisfy some human wish.

They have experienced a second birth that transcends (without necessarily leaving entirely out of the equation) all of these "human" causes by interjecting God's spiritual work of regeneration. Such rebirth begins and ends with the work of God, though this does not mean that humans do not need to cooperate.

That there might be other factors influencing the conversion of some people, including their bloodline (that is, having entered this world through and into a Christian family), or through motivations on the human level (like the desire to avoid hell, or to obtain heavenly rewards) would not be denied nor affirmed by John's statement. Human birth is "merely" through these agencies; divine rebirth may utilize them, but necessarily owes its occurrence "also" to divine agency.

You caution:
"be extremely wary of finding new terms (like 'limited negative') and using them like a new toy to see what you can get them to do."

You needn't worry about that. This is not a new toy for me, as I have been taking it into consideration in my biblical studies since the seventies. Whether or not the term "limited negative" is the proper one for the phenomenon has been questioned here, but there can be no questioning of the device itself, whatever it be labeled.

There are passages where it is not clear whether it applies (like "do not [only?] lay up for yourselves treasure upon earth...but [also?] lay up treasure in heaven"), but there can be little doubt that John 1:13 is one to which it does apply. Otherwise we have John denying that these people have even experienced physical birth at all. What may be less clear is what impact this observation may have on the relationship between the phrases "the will of man" and "of God" in the verse. Our intuitions may lead you and me to different conclusions on that point—and we can't know whether our intuitions are quite pure, or whether they have been shaped by other doctrinal commitments.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”