Pauls thorn

Angels & Demons
_Anonymous

Pauls thorn

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:00 pm

:?: Steve Gregg,

What do you think about Pauls thorn in his side,a messenger of Satan?

Could it be he heard bothersome voices? Do you believe a Christian, labeled with a mental illness due to hearing voices is afflicted possibly by demonic harassment or would this be possesion? Is there a difference Biblically?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:07 am

The Bible doesn’t speak directly about the hearing of voices being a demonic manifestation, but it has often enough been a complaint of certain people that they did hear such voices, in connection with other indications of occult bondage (or demonization), and that, after exorcism, or deliverance, these voices departed along with the other symptoms. I am inclined to believe, therefore, that, despite the silence of scripture on this phenomenon, there is reason to associate the hearing of voices with demonization in some cases (possibly in most or all cases, but I would be beyond my depth in trying to speak so universally).

There is, no doubt, a difference between the torment imposed by demons living within the victim and affliction imposed from without. As for the difference between demonic harassment and demon possession, there is no clear line drawn in scripture between these categories.

I use the word “demonized” because this is the actual word used in the New Testament (Greek: daimonizomai), usually translated “demon possessed.” This word seems to be used in scripture to refer to a broad range of demonically-induced maladies, ranging from total, tormenting insanity (Matt.8:28-29) to inappropriate outbursts (Mark 1:23-24) to supernatural strength (Mark 5:4) to mediumistic powers (Acts 16:16) to merely physical disabilities (Matt.12:22). Since there is no reason to believe that this list is comprehensive, there may be any number of other afflictions, including the hearing of voices in the head, or seeing apparitions, that could as easily be included among possible symptoms of demonization.

As for Paul’s thorn in the flesh (2 Cor.12:7), I seriously doubt that a man as thoroughly filled with God’s Spirit as was Paul could succumb to a condition such as those listed above. Some think that Paul was referring to some human opponent who kept persecuting him, but it seems from the context that his condition was an “infirmity” of some kind (2 Cor.12:9, 10/ Gal.4:13-14). The most common view is that it was a problem with diseased eyes (possibly hinted at in Galatians 4:15). It would be natural enough to see such as an affliction brought through the malice of Satan, but which God permitted to prevent Paul from being too exalted in his own or others’ sight (2 Cor.12:7).
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Priestly1

Paul's thorny side.

Post by _Priestly1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:14 am

Hi all!
Just a lighter side here.
Could Paul's Thorn in his side be a nagging wife? ROFL!!! You know, like the dripping roof! LOL!!! Maybe a hard to deal with ex-wife? LOL!
Just joking! My wife thought it was funny!! So did my ole Pal Scott Meaders. Just had to pass it on...it came to me as a flash of illumination while in a spirit of silliness!

In Messiah,
Ken .H
Reason:

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”