Getting attacked for healing the sick

Angels & Demons
_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:08 am

i agree with you paul. i do not believe that fasting "magically" bestows us with super powers.

at the same time, i believe that part of the reason that Jesus and the apostles were so full of the HS was because they fasted regularly. the bible may not explicitly state this, but i think it is implied. but the reason fasting "works" is due to the reasons you mentioned; i.e. it is not the fasting in and of itself.

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:20 am

Ryan (my husband) said something last week pertaining to your statement, TK....

He said that if we were to purely follow Jesus' example in fasting, then we would do one forty day fast right before we started full time ministry, and then never fast again until we die, being accused of being a glutton and a drunkard (Matt 11:19).

---------

Yes, the apostles fasted, but as far as how much or how often or what kind of fast, I don't know. So I don't think that we can put any type of "amount of fasting" on others like our friend is doing. And I do not believe that one can say that you will not experience the power of God in your life unless you fast "regularly" (usually meaning a couple times a week).

Belief seems to be the only qualification to experiencing God's power in and through us as followers of Jesus.

I think fasting is great, not only to take time out of our lives to dedicate it to the Lord, but also as a means that the Lord has set up to help our bodies to repair themselves. The comments that I have made and am making are not against fasting, I believe there are many benefits to it, but the comments are in regard to the specific conclusions that our friend has been making regarding fasting.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:28 am

Hi Rae-

your friend is giving anecdotal evidence that, at least for him, the HS uses him more powerfully when he is fasting. i dont think we can say he is not correct, at least for him. i have heard too many stories of great things that have happened in conjunction with fasting to conclude that there isnt something to it, and i know you would agree with this.

i do, however, think it is wrong for him to imply that unless you are fasting, you are "out of the loop" with the HS. if it seems to be working for him, of course, he would be excited to share this with others. it all depends on how he comes across. one thing i have learned from reading Oswald Chambers is that you have to be careful how you share your "mountaintop experiences" with others. it is easy to come across sounding holier than thou.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:48 pm

unless you are fasting, you are "out of the loop" with the HS. if it seems to be working for him, of course, he would be excited to share this with others. it all depends on how he comes across. one thing i have learned from reading Oswald Chambers is that you have to be careful how you share your "mountaintop experiences" with others. it is easy to come across sounding holier than thou.
Yes, that is, from my interaction with him, the way he comes across. Many of the things he says come out to the effect of, "Once you get to this level..."

Thank you for that encouragement from Oswald Chambers! From what I have seen of his, he certainly had much wisdom to share!
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:23 pm

Paul:
I don't believe that you can become closer to God through fasting because if we can become closer to God through fasting then the muslims must be closer to God also for they do fast regularly.

Paul, do you accept the following? I just substituted "prayer" for "fasting".
I don't believe that you can become closer to God through prayer because if we can become closer to God through prayer then the muslims must be closer to God also for they do pray regularly.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_PAULESPINO

Post by _PAULESPINO » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:52 pm

Paidion,
Paul, do you accept the following? I just substituted "prayer" for "fasting

That's a good point but I think you are comparing watermelon with cantaloupe :lol: :lol: :lol: ( just kidding).....

By the way I like your new pic. Looks like the guy from Braveheart. :D :D

I think that fasting is totally different from praying. In praying you are talking to God but in fasting you are not talking to God or communicating with him but rather you are on diet :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 pm

I think that fasting is totally different from praying. In praying you are talking to God but in fasting you are not talking to God or communicating with him but rather you are on diet
I think fasting is all about communication with God ---- on a much deeper level. It's not about losing weight.

Jesus assumed that God's people would fast. Notice His phrase was not "if you fast..." but "when you fast..."
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Paidion wrote:I think fasting is all about communication with God ---- on a much deeper level. It's not about losing weight.
I think fasting represents us focusing on Him and not our own needs or desires. It isn't magic or some formula that we can legalistically practice and expect results. It requires the right heart and the right focus.
D.
Reason:

_PAULESPINO

Post by _PAULESPINO » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:30 am

I think fasting is all about communication with God ---- on a much deeper level. It's not about losing weight.
I was just adding humor.
Jesus assumed that God's people would fast. Notice His phrase was not "if you fast..." but "when you fast..."
Fasting in the O.T became a jewish tradition therefore Jesus assumed that the Jews will fast including his disciples.

As I mentiond before that fasting has an effect to our body and mind.

The effect of fasting is that we learn self discipline. In the process of learning self discipline we also learn to deny the desires of our flesh.

One of the desires of our flesh is food and through fasting we learn to deny food. In the process of fasting we not only learn to deny food but we also learn to deny other desires of our flesh such as material and physical things. 70% of my co-workers are muslims and I have observed them fast and I noticed that they become sincere in everything they think and do.

I conclude that fasting is important because it teaches us to deny the desires of our flesh as we learn to deny the desires of our flesh then we become closer to God.

But if a person can do all the things mentioned above such as denying the desires of our flesh so that we can become closer to God without fasting then it is okay not to fast.
Reason:

__id_2247

Post by __id_2247 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Fasting is GREAT! I found if we fast 3 full days? We will then walk and live in our Spirit being!
Of course, if we are not BORN OF GOD [BORN AGAIN or BORN of OUR Spirit] then we will see No difference!

Being Born of GOD is GOD giving us NEW SPIRITS!

And of course satan will attack us, if we try to fast or live and walk in our spirit!

But, he fears the least christain.

You understand , The LORD said? We would fast and that the signs and wonders would follow us!

i find? We are first to be BORN OF GOD. That is our beginning in CHRIST JESUS . Then , HE wants us walking and living in our Spirit Being!

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Mat 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Reason:

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”