Ephesians 6:12- demons in the "heavenly places?"

Angels & Demons
_TK

Ephesians 6:12- demons in the "heavenly places?"

Post by _TK » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:01 pm

I was reading Eph 6 this morning-- i have read this passage a multitude of times but this time verse 12 struck me:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

can anyone shed some light on what the underlined phrase means? who are the "spiritual hosts of wickedness" and what are the "heavenly places?"

thx in advance for your input.

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:32 am

I've always just understood that to be demonic forces in the spiritual realm.

Principalities and powers can either mean the same thing as a parallel description, or governing authorities in opposition to Christianity IMO.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:48 am

hi christopher--

that is always how i have understood this, but for some reason the "heavenly realms" language struck me the other day-- do you have any insight as to why the spiritual realm is called the heavenly realm?

I dont have a greek lexicon-- perhaps you or someone can provide the original wording.

which brings up another question-- what is the spiritual realm? where is it? is it right here with us, but invisible, or is it a different "dimension?"

the frank peretti books suggest that the spiritual realm is part of our realm, but simply invisible. i guess i have always thought this to be the case, but now i am not so sure.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_dexter

Re: Ephesians 6:12- demons in the "heavenly places?&quo

Post by _dexter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:15 am

TK wrote:For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood
this refers to spiritual rather than material ( physical).
TK wrote:but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age
again this could not refer to material( physical ). principalities means beginning, origin or leader therefore this could refer to Satan as the origin of evil or could refer to the leader of the group of demons.Powers we all know that God has given Satan and the fallen angel powers before they have fallen from God's presence. The rulers of the darkness of this age refers to demons of all ages.
TK wrote:against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
In the bible Hosts refers to angels. It could be Godly angels or demonic angels since the word spiritual hosts was followed by wickedness then we know that it is reffering to demons. Actually the word "heavenly places" in KJV was translated as "High places" which means the same thing. In the bible heavenly places means sky, clouds, or space above the ground.
I believe in the book of Daniel angel Gabriel's message from God to Daniel was delayed because Angel Gabriel fought against the demons in high places which means space above the ground.
Reason:

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”