For Partial Preterists: Any OT Passages on the 2nd Coming?

End Times
remade

For Partial Preterists: Any OT Passages on the 2nd Coming?

Post by remade » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:30 pm

For Partial Preterists -

Are there any passages in the Old Testament that refer to Christ's Second Coming? Or is that all fulfilled in Jesus?

Thanks
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

steve7150

Re: For Partial Preterists: Any OT Passages on the 2nd Coming?

Post by steve7150 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:16 pm

For Partial Preterists -

Are there any passages in the Old Testament that refer to Christ's Second Coming? Or is that all fulfilled in Jesus?

They believe in a literal second coming.

remade

Post by remade » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Yes, I was just wondering if any Partial Preterists take their beliefs concerning the Second Coming only from the New Testament, or also from the Old Testament?
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:40 am

Hi remade,

Psalm 110:1 is important regarding the 2nd Coming. It implies that all Christ's enemies will eventually be destroyed at which point His reign wil be transformed into a different sort of reign. This verse is quoted in Mt 22:44; Mk 12:36; Lk 20:42; Ac 2:34; Hebrews 1:13.

Blessings,
Carmine

3Resurrections

Post by 3Resurrections » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:56 am

Certainly there are passages about the second coming in the OT.

Jacob, in Genesis 49:10. “The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.” This “gathering” speaks of the resurrection of the saints, which Paul refers to in II Thess. 2:2 “...the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together unto Him.”

Job, in Job 19:26-27. “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.” Martha had faith in the truth of this resurrection in the last day, when she responded to Christ’s statement about her brother rising again from the dead (John 11:24-27).

Balaam’s prophecy about Gog (which in the LXX version of Numbers 24:7 he referred to as the nation of Israel), described what would happen in “the latter days”, including when the Hebrews would perish. Balaam is the prophet that Ezekiel refers to as one of the prophets “from old time” who had foretold what would happen to Gog (which is ethnic Israel), and this would happen “at the end of years” (Ez.38:8 LXX). Ezekiel’s destruction of “Gog” (ethnic Israel) by civil war conflict in Ez. 39:17-19 is the same as the bloody sacrifice that a returning Christ would feed the birds and the beasts of the field in Rev. 19:17-18.

Hosea 6:3 foretells TWO TIMES when the Lord would come down for his people. “...and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.” This language of a returning Christ coming to earth at the time of these two very predictable rainy seasons in Israel is copied in James 5:7-8. “Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; Stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.” That AD 70 coming at the time of the latter rain was then at hand in James’ day, but there still remains ANOTHER coming to be fulfilled in our future, at the time of the early rain.

Daniel 2:34’s vision of the “stone cut without hands” striking a single blow that destroys together at one time all the elements that made up that statue of iron, clay, brass, silver, and gold. After that one-time destruction of that statue (which took place at Christ’s AD 70 return), Christ’s kingdom has been incrementally increasing as it continues to “fill the whole earth” with its effects. Daniel 12 also speaks of the AD 66-70 unprecedented Great Tribulation, and the resurrection at the end of those 1,335 days when Daniel himself would share in that resurrection.

Zechariah 14:4-5 is an unmistakable reference to the physically-returning Christ, standing on the Mount of Olives on the east of Jerusalem. This prophecy is part of the complete, intact prophecy starting in Zechariah 12, (“the burden of the word of the Lord for Israel”) which is a full description of the AD 66-70 end of Jerusalem and a resurrection when Christ would return with all His holy ones, the angels.

Enoch - though the canon of scripture does not include his original prophecy, yet we know of its existence by the quote in Jude 14-15 which predicts the Lord coming with ten thousand of His holy ones, to judge those wicked first-century ungodly individuals.

Isaiah - it would take too much time to list them all.

Indeed, Peter testified that ALL THE PROPHETS since the world began had spoken of the time when the “times of refreshing” would come with the return of Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21). “Yeah, and ALL THE PROPHETS FROM SAMUEL AND THOSE THAT FOLLOW AFTER, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days” (Acts 3:24).

Return to “Eschatology”