Revelation 4 -- four creatures

End Times
darinhouston

Revelation 4 -- four creatures

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:43 pm

In Steve's latest verse by verse treatment of Revelation, he suggests he shares in part the view the Rabbis had as to the four creatures in Chapter 4 (as they interpreted similar creatures in Ezekiel) -- Lion, chief of the wild beasts, Ox, chief of the domesticated, Eagle, chief of birds, Man, chief of all creation brought before the throne to represent all of Creation praising God, declaring Glory of God...

Question -- if intending to represent all creation, why not use the categories from Genesis ? Fish and swimming things, etc. are notably absent. Might there be a doctrinal reason to omit them? I note also they weren't in the Ark during the flood (for perhaps obvious reasons).

Thoughts?

Paidion

Re: Revelation 4 -- four creatures

Post by Paidion » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I haven't any thoughts, but I do have some memories. When I was a young man of 19 or 20 (I'm now 75), I attended a rather conservative Baptist church in Atikokan, Ontario. I recall the minister's wife discussing Rev. 4:7. She associated the four beasts with the four ways in which the gospels depict Christ.

1. The Lion (king of the beasts)—Matthew depicts Christ as a King.

2. The Ox (servant of man)—Mark depicts Christ as a servant of man.

3. Beast with the face of a Man—Luke depicts Christ as a man, fully human.

4. Flying Eagle (A flying eagle sees everything below)—John depicts Christ as God, who sees everything.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 am

John is going with Ezekiel instead of Genesis because Revelation is patterned on Ezekiel. http://planetpreterist.com/content/reve ... l-part-one

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Duncan wrote:John is going with Ezekiel instead of Genesis because Revelation is patterned on Ezekiel. http://planetpreterist.com/content/reve ... l-part-one
Ok, so then why doesn't Ezekiel follow Genesis?

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 am

Because fish are boring.... ;-)

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 pm

darinhouston wrote:In Steve's latest verse by verse treatment of Revelation, he suggests he shares in part the view the Rabbis had as to the four creatures in Chapter 4 (as they interpreted similar creatures in Ezekiel) -- Lion, chief of the wild beasts, Ox, chief of the domesticated, Eagle, chief of birds, Man, chief of all creation brought before the throne to represent all of Creation praising God, declaring Glory of God...

Question -- if intending to represent all creation, why not use the categories from Genesis ? Fish and swimming things, etc. are notably absent. Might there be a doctrinal reason to omit them? I note also they weren't in the Ark during the flood (for perhaps obvious reasons).

Thoughts?
Darin,

The four living creatures represents the house of Israel as they were encamped in the wilderness Numbers 2.

Face of a man, Reuben, to the south (Understood by scripture and tradition)
Face of a Lion, Juda, to the east (Ezekiel's vision right side)
Face of an Ox, Ephraim, to the west (Ezekiel's vision left side)
Face of an Eagle, Dan, to the north (Understood by scripture and tradition)

This vision of the "true house of Israel" (The Elect, if you will) in Revelation depicts them in their ministry of proclaiming the judgement and salvation past, present and immediate future!

John and the 1st Century Jews didn't need any explanation concerning this vision, it was a no-brainer. Ezekiel's vision was no mystery either. In Ezekiel's vision God was still dealing with them as a functioning nation, thus the wheels. John's vision deals with the final judgement on the wicked nation as it comes to a close.

Without getting to involved, this is the starting point in understanding the 4 living creatures. AD 70 was the consummation of all that was written concerning Old Covenant Israel. It's over and they will never rise again. Christ now sits on the throne of David with a New Covenant and People in his eternal kingdom existing today.

God Bless!

Return to “Eschatology”