Question for Preterists

End Times
TheEditor

Question for Preterists

Post by TheEditor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Greetings,

Wasn't sure which section to place this in, but figured this would work as well as any other. I have had conversations with Preterists before, and have had differing answers (sometimes obfuscations), but I thought I would ask: for the Full Preterist, what happens to all the unsaved or those who have not heard the Gospel proclaimed, since 70 AD.?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Mellontes

Re: Question for Preterists

Post by Mellontes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:24 pm

TheEditor wrote:Greetings,

Wasn't sure which section to place this in, but figured this would work as well as any other. I have had conversations with Preterists before, and have had differing answers (sometimes obfuscations), but I thought I would ask: for the Full Preterist, what happens to all the unsaved or those who have not heard the Gospel proclaimed, since 70 AD.?

Regards, Brenden.
I don't think this is going to be much of a help... :D

I guess it all depends upon what view you take, and there are several understandings in and out of preterism. For instance, in conversation with a dispensational buddy of mine, he stated that all babies would go to heaven if they died before a "certain" age. Of course, he couldn't come up with Scripture to show me exactly at what age that would be. I believe the Reformed or Calvinsit view have it different as well and may be linked to infant baptism, but I am not positive so don't quote me on that. The Universalists say everyone is saved because of what Christ did on the cross. I guess you are asking an age-old question, even from a futurist perspective.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Hello Mellontes,

Correct, there are many views on that broad question. I was interested in the Preterist view, as I have often heard many of them confess a view that ends up a little less than optimistic, but I wanted to be clear before I gave my opinions. As to the babies, etc. I seem to recall Paul as saying (his opinion), "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy." (1 Corinthians 7:14)

Presumably, Paul thought that if judgement came then, at that time, the children would be called "holy" because of the believeing parents. So, one needs to reflect on what that would mean regarding their salvation.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:04 pm

"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy." (1 Corinthians 7:14)

Presumably, Paul thought that if judgement came then, at that time, the children would be called "holy" because of the believeing parents. So, one needs to reflect on what that would mean regarding their salvation.
Another view to consider is that Paul was only saying the children are "holy" in a ritual sense - that is, they are not "unclean".

Mellontes

Post by Mellontes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Homer wrote:
"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy." (1 Corinthians 7:14)

Another view to consider is that Paul was only saying the children are "holy" in a ritual sense - that is, they are not "unclean".
If believing parents have the ability to have their children "cleansed" by their faith, then it need not matter if the children ever believe, even when adults themselves because they still would be their parents children. Unless of course there was a specific age specified in that verse...

As for the dispensational view and their belief that the Gospel must be preached to every creature (human) before the alleged END comes, how is it that this could even be possible if their "age of accountability" theology is correct. For them, they believe that a child must be a certain age before he or she is even capable of comprehending the Gospel. For sake of argument, let's say this age is 2 1/2 years old, give or take. So, here is what happens: An amazing explosion of Gospel preaching Christians go everywhere. They preach and preach and preach and preach. But they can't preach to MILLIONS because they haven't reach the age of accountability yet. They have to wait for them to mature. So, time has gone by and now they have matured and quickly they preach to them too. However, in the meantime, MILLIONS more have just been born. So the cycle repeats...there can be no way that their eschatological claim of preaching to everyone can ever be accomplished...

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Concerning the OP,
If the unsaved means that they have rejected Christ and His message then when they die the individual is immediately judged based upon his works and the law. The law in this case would not be the Mosaic Law. That judgment would then render that person as lost in his sins since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Then that person would be cast into the lake of fire and experience the second death. That second death in my opinion is the act of being put out of existence.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Allyn wrote:Concerning the OP,
If the unsaved means that they have rejected Christ and His message then when they die the individual is immediately judged based upon his works and the law. The law in this case would not be the Mosaic Law. That judgment would then render that person as lost in his sins since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Then that person would be cast into the lake of fire and experience the second death. That second death in my opinion is the act of being put out of existence.
Hi Allyn,

No, my question was actually more towards "what happens to all the unsaved or those who have not heard the Gospel proclaimed, since 70 AD.?" I guess my use of the word "or" was more of a qualifier. In other words those ignorant of the Gospel.

Regards, Brenden.

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:47 pm

As a preterist I don't think I have a view any different then the varied ones in any POV. Ultimately it is God's righteous judgment that has the final say but I would think that an unbeliever is one who has not accepted Christ whether that person is well aware or whether that person is ignorant. I find no provision in Scripture for people who are good enough to enter heaven. If it was up to me I would probably judge the mans character, but since Christ died for sin and anyone who thirsts is invited to come after Him I would hope that God will make a way through Christ to accept Him into their heart even if it is the most minute of faith. Romans 8:1 says that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. It would be very difficult for a person with the smallest of faith to say they are not walking according to the flesh but then God gives each man a measure of faith (Romans 12:3) but that verse seems to be in a context of the work each member of the church has.

Preterism deals with past fulfillments and in the case of salvation there is no more difference amongst us as there is in any eschatological view.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi Allyn,

I guess I ask because in my opinion, full preterists are bound by their eschatological paradigm to find the final judgement as fulfilled, and that from here on out we are finally judged in this life. Partial preterists, futurists and certainly pre-millenialists are expecting a future resurrection and judgment of the righteous and unrighteous. Certainly this has it's appeal, I am not certain how wedded to it I am; but it seems to be at least in terms of the unevangelized, a way of doping out what happens to those ones. The full preterists I have talked with (so far) have expressed themselves to be a bit less hopeful for the unevangelized than any of the other camps; save maybe the ultra-Calvinist types, though that trancends eschatological camps. But, what can be done for Calvinists? :lol:

Regards, Brenden.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:28 pm

The problem of what happens to those who never heard of the gospel is a conundrum for all views of eschatology and indeed Christianity. Now personally I believe the judgment began at AD 70. But to say that the second coming could not have happened yet because everyone has not heard the gospel is not very well thought out. Millions and millions have already died without hearing the gospel. Whether Jesus returned at AD 70 or willl return in the future does not change that fact. Again the problem is still there no matter when one says the second coming happened or will happen.

Return to “Eschatology”