Church Authority

The Church
backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: Church Authority

Post by backwoodsman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:29 pm

dwight92070 wrote:Can a person be overly concerned or preoccupied with a Bible issue?
Certainly, when such concern eclipses the whole point of discussion with other believers. The point, of course, is fellowship, learning from each other, and mutual edification.
Just because I had a different opinion and defended it, does that mean I am unchristlike?
Not at all; this forum is full of disagreements on all sorts of topics, wherein mutual respect and Christian unity are not only preserved, but built.
Please don't beat around the bush and show me my unchristlike behavior.
I'd suggest you reread your responses in this thread, looking for anything where you know the anger you mentioned came through into your response, or that misrepresents another's words or casts aspersions on their motives or character. I'll leave anything further between you and God.

On the rest of it, I think I'll bow out for the moment, as it no longer seems germane to the church authority discussion.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Well, really, none of us Protestants can take the church authority thing very far, can we?
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Here is an interesting truth:

God has created 3 institutions: The government, the family, and the church.

Regarding the government, Jesus said that all authority on heaven and earth had been given to Him. Also He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, yet He appoints Kings, presidents, etc. on earth.

Regarding the family, Jesus is the Head of the husband, yet He appoints the husband to be the head of his wife and family on earth.

Regarding the church, Jesus is the Head of the Body of Christ and the Great Shepherd, yet He appoints shepherds on earth.

The earthly king or president, under God's direction, has a higher authority than his people.

The husband, under God's direction, has a higher authority than his family.

The shepherd, under God's direction, has a higher authority than the sheep that he is responsible for.

They keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account.

Return to “Ecclesiology”