locked behind bricks

The Church
MsCread

locked behind bricks

Post by MsCread » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Hello to all,

why do Christians go into buildings to worship, bible study and fellowship?

Would it not be more beneficial to the unsaved out in the community to see folks enjoying Christianity out in the open air?

Appreciate thoughts, TIA

Lyn63

locked behind bricks

Post by Lyn63 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi, I'm new here :)

We have "church in the park" once a year in the summer. I live in OR and it rains pretty close to ten months out of the year. Sigh, I do miss CA!

I like the idea...would there be a way to make it work when the weather is bad?

Homer

Re: locked behind bricks

Post by Homer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:31 pm

My immediate thought was that Jesus had no problem with a weekly meeting in a building:

Luke 4:16, New King James Version (NKJV)
16. So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

Would it not be more beneficial to the unsaved out in the community to see folks enjoying Christianity out in the open air
That's a nice thought but it would probably be better for them to see us loving our neighbor and each other. Then they might want to join us.

MsCread

Re: locked behind bricks

Post by MsCread » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:57 pm

That's a nice thought but it would probably be better for them to see us loving our neighbor and each other. Then they might want to join us.

But to an outsider looking in is a Church not something sort of shrouded in mystery to the outsider, that might be off putting? I think there is something that could be very beneficial to a church and that would be when others can see normal folk just like themselves enjoying the word of God. Non Christians and isolated Christians could benefit from that could they not?

Sure it would attract some bad people too, but that's part of the territory is it not? Would there also be much to be gained and learned from how a Christian deals with someones bad behaviour towards them, would that not also be good for others to see?

Return to “Ecclesiology”