Church of Christ

The Church
blackheart

Church of Christ

Post by blackheart » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 am

Anyone give me some guidance on the Church of Christ - (the denomination, that is) What are its distinctives? Positives and negatives, etc
Blackheart Magillicutty

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brody196

Re: Church of Christ

Post by brody196 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:05 am

blackheart wrote:Anyone give me some guidance on the Church of Christ - (the denomination, that is) What are its distinctives? Positives and negatives, etc

Hey blackheart,

There are many sub-groups within the framework known as the "Church of Christ", ranging from your normal, typical church, to a hard line group that shouts "We are Christians only and the only Christians". Ive been fortunate(or unfortunate)enough to have conversed with both sides.
The "normal" group I described(or apostate according to the hardcore)are not as dogmatic on certain issues that give the Church of Christ its distinction, issues such as instruments in worship, kitchens in church buildings(yes, the hardcore groups says this will send you to hell)..etc..
The hardcore group is about as divisive a group as I have ever witnessed. I have spoken with several "hardcore" non instrumental groups and it has always been a bad experience. They will usually start the conversation off with Acts 2:38 and proclaim that your baptism was invalid if you were not water baptized "for the remission of sins".
If you can get them off of the subject of baptism, you will find that they deny any type of Holy Spirit gifts for today and some claim(within the sub group)that the Holy Spirit does not indwell any believer today. You will also find that the hardcore group talk about "works" sometimes seemingly to the exclusion of grace...a most horrible trap to fall into for the Christian, for it is "God who works in us".

Jill

Re: Church of Christ

Post by Jill » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:31 pm

[b]The Church of Christ[/b], must have been a common generic umbrella of the 1800's. Even of my own denomination of choice. Possibly like [b]The Church of England[/b], thinking that its "oneness" was going to solve differences in people, yet still burned Joan of Lorraine 1500 France as a young person. Im finding [b]The Chruch of Christ[/b] as a beginning, not only my own denomination, but the beginning "charter" name of many denominations.

Return to “Ecclesiology”