"Church"

The Church
Paidion

Re: "Church"

Post by Paidion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 am

Jill wrote:I've often wondered if the word or term "Synagogue" didn't actually mean "to meet together"...
Actually, your guess is correct. The word was derived from the Ancient Greek word "συναγωγή" (synagōgā) which meant "gathering", and that word was derived from the Greek verb "συνάγω"(synagō) which means "I gather together".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Quilter2

Re: "Church"

Post by Quilter2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:16 am

Well mostly negative. I think when you are first a believer you are kind of all wrapped up in the wonder of it, reading your Bible and getting to know the Lord so you are kind of oblivious to the people. Then there is the learning curve. Once you are married and expected to take responsibilities is usually where the bad experiences start. The institutional church wants you there a dozen times a week, most of them divide up the age groups so the family is hardly together. We have dealt with gossip, an anonymous letter, witnessed bungled Matthew 18 when they tried to keep somebody IN the church, the all women submit to all men stuff, and abusive authority in the course of 4 churches in 35 yrs. It seems like most of the friends we have in other places have a similar experience. There seems to be a life cycle to churches. People who are committed probably with some gift start work, it grows and prospers for a while. Then an issue comes up and there is a split. Invariably people come in who aren't content to enjoy what is there, they have to change it to make it what they want which unsettles the oldtimers. Occasionally there is a smooth transition, but usually the older generation refuses to relinquish the control and strangles the work, causing good people to leave.

We were 20 yrs in the Open Table Plymouth Brethren and they also call it "the meeting" and the building is the "meetinghouse". We are now 12 yrs. in a Closed Table plain Mennonite church, and they would say meeting house and meeting at least here. The one thing I wonder about is the emphasis in communion seems to be on the believers communing with one another at least in this congregation. In the Brethren "breaking of bread" it was all on worship and the person of the Lord Jesus, which I miss.

Paula

Return to “Ecclesiology”