Not Forsaking Our Own Assembling Together

The Church
darinhouston

Re: Not Forsaking Our Own Assembling Together

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:49 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:05 pm
There's a saying, and I don't mean this in a rude way: Put up or shut up.

Put up the evidence of my "wrongdoing", or else stop accusing me of that wrongdoing. I have already answered some of your previous accusations, in my response to Backwoodsman, and in his response, he essentially said that I was continuing in my wrongdoing, to even defend myself. That is a lie. My defense was not an attack and he knows it and I think you do too. He also knows that when he accused me of PREFERRING attacks as my way of communicating with others, that he himself was attacking me and NOT telling the truth. Otherwise, like I said, produce the evidence of my wrongdoing.
I have no time to go searching for the many things you have said that are offensive to me or to others, but here's but one...
Dwight - What is utter insanity is for you to question the apostle John's logic, He is the one who concluded that Jesus was equating Himself with God, by calling God HIs own Father. I think your denial of that is a great sin. This is a plain statement by the apostle John, which you reject. There is no justificaton for doing that.
Is there anything worse on a bible forum where we are trying to work out our varying interpretations of scripture?

I might also point out that you have essentially called backwoodsman a liar in this very post.

Putting aside the frustration of trying to have a reasonable discussion on a point of interest -- your rhetoric is often overly defensive, accusatory and over the top inappropriate. If you can't see that, then perhaps this is not the forum for you. The hardest thing about this is that we have had a new member recently who I welcomed with a gesture that this was not like other bible forums and that even unpopular or questionable ideas where welcomed and discussed respectfully, even where we might disagree vehemently. He had a few insightful posts, and it seems he has left us. This makes me sad.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:58 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:05 pm
...in my response to Backwoodsman, and in his response, he essentially said that I was continuing in my wrongdoing, to even defend myself. That is a lie. My defense was not an attack and he knows it and I think you do too. He also knows that when he accused me of PREFERRING attacks as my way of communicating with others, that he himself was attacking me and NOT telling the truth.
Dwight, I will not be called a liar by someone who continually tries to shove everyone and every discussion into an adversarial box while claiming everyone else is attacking him, when he's the only one doing any attacking. We do not allow personal attacks here, and you're the only one who's been doing that. Up to now we've allowed you a lot of latitude and extended you a lot of grace, but this is a line you haven't crossed before, at least not in a crystal-clear way, and I for one will not allow it. So, it ends here.

So here's what's going to happen: After I've posted this, I'm going to put you on a 1-week ban. You'll be able to read the forum, so you'll see this, but won't be able to login to post. Please use the time to figure out how to have a discussion without being hostile about it.

Then, from now on you will refrain from accusing anyone of attacking you. Starting now, if you post anything a reasonable person would see as a personal attack against anyone, or claim someone else attacked you when a reasonable person would say they didn't, I'll take further action. What that action is depends on you.

As I said before, if you want to interact in an adversarial way, there are lots of other places you can go. That's not what we do here, and I think we've had about enough of it from you. Most of all, we're not going to allow you or anyone else to try to turn it into that kind of place. So, I really hope you hang around, but that stops now, one way or another.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:23 pm

I wish we had a "like" button.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks, backwoodsman. You've given Dwight a lot of leeway before finally taking action. I respect you for that, and also that you have now suspended him for awhile. Whether or not he will change his approach remains to be seen. But my guess is that he will consider your action unfair and also to be an unwillingness to face "the truth".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks, Paidion. That's my guess as well, but we'll see. Hopefully he'll take the opportunity to learn and grow.

Return to “Ecclesiology”