Do we still have a sin nature?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
darinhouston

Do we still have a sin nature?

Post by darinhouston » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:38 pm

I have a good friend who suggested he had a new perspective on sanctification now that he has come to realize that the sin nature was totally reversed at the cross. Yet I see Paul talking about the continued struggle between the spirit and the flesh, etc.

Has anyone heard this and have any thoughts?

Paidion

Re: Do we still have a sin nature?

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:34 pm

We still have a sin nature. But Jesus' sacrifice on the cross on behalf of His disciples, began a process of deliverance from sin in the lives of his disciples. That process is known as "salvation", that is, "salvation from sin". I see this deliverance as a life-long process, but when the resurrection of the dead takes place, the deliverance from sin of the transformed saints will have been completed.

Unfortunately, because of the mistranslation of the Greek word "αφεσις" (aphesis) as "forgiveness" many have been misled as to the very meaning of the word. For example:
Ephesians 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (NKJV)

The verbal form of "αφεσις" is "αφιημι". It means either "to send away" or "to leave".
Mt 13:36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house. (NKJV)

Jesus didn't forgive the multitude; He sent them away.

So let's translate Ephesisans 1:7 accordingly:
Ephesians 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the sending away of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (NKJV)

Or perhaps the following way:
Ephesians 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forsaking of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (NKJV)

Yes, leaving or forsaking sin is a life-long process, which will some day be complete (at our resurrection from the dead).
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 am

I've been reading more on this and it seems to flow from the holiness movement and Wesley's entire sanctification. I see how the gradual sanctification Wesley discussed as a theoretical possibility could be true, and I've heard Steve discuss this.

But, I've never heard the idea that the sin nature itself was eradicated on the cross.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:47 am

Darin, the way I see it, Jesus made a sacrifice that was pleasing to God. He loved others as Himself. And when we do the same, it does away with our sin. As Isaiah says: "Cease to do evil and learn to do good and your sins will be as white as snow." The New Testament writers explain this by saying that there is no sin in love that comes from a pure heart. God finds no fault in this.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”