Abrahamic Salvation?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dwight92070

Re: Abrahamic Salvation?

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Correction - I didn't mean to say that as the moderator, you can unilaterally remove several of my posts. I MEANT to say, "you can RELOCATE several of my posts ..."

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:36 pm

Is this the series of posts you're thinking of?

https://theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... ain#p80926

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:42 am

Yes, those are the posts.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 am

darin,

So who appointed you as the moderator and when did that happen?

Dwight

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:17 pm

Looks like it was there all along?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Not on that thread it wasn't, and I did not see any notification that it had been moved, until yesterday, when you sent me all the posts. I think you should ask permission to move our posts, instead of just doing it, especially when we are right in the middle of the new topic. Apparently, I was replying to posts on one page and was unawate that you posted that you had moved everything on the next page. I don't always have time everyday to look at the latest posts. Then when I got back on the original thread, everything was gone. I still did not know that you had started a new topic.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:34 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 pm
Dwight, part of moderating a forum is keeping conversations on topic and organized so that the forum is of use to others. That sometimes includes splitting and moving off-topic threads to new topics and relevant forums and the like. When I have done that, I have tried to make appropriate notes so people notice it was done and why. Doing this avoids rabbit trails to derail a topic being discussed but it also enables a new topic to be addressed more directly and fully rather than getting lost in a sea of off-topic responses that are otherwise ignored.
Darin, I'm glad you're doing that. Thread drift is a real problem if you're trying to have a meaningful discussion, or follow one. Splitting out stuff that's off-topic but still deserves to be discussed keeps things more organized and easier to follow. Any who don't like it might want to consider that there are good reasons to start a new thread when they change topics, rather than dragging a thread off topic.

Dwight, I think you owe Darin an apology. You could've been a lot more gracious and charitable about what turned out to be a false accusation.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:27 pm

I never said that Darin was the one who erased my posts, although I did have suspicions. So there was NO false accusation. He even admitted that he would have loved to erase several of my posts in the past. He could be a lot more gracious when moving our posts, by asking our permission rather than just yanking them right in the middle of our discussion. Once again, what or who gives him the right to do that, in the first place? I've asked him who appointed him as a moderator, but received no answer. He should be gracious enough to explain where he gets the authority to do what he's doing, but so far, he has ignored my question.

I'm not against moving posts, as I said before. It's the way that it's done. He could easily say, "If it's agreeable with everyone, I will move these posts to a new topic." Then wait for our response. If everyone agrees, then do it. As I told him, I was totally unaware that he had even moved my posts, until after the fact - I think it was even the next day. Assuming then that they were not moved, the only other thing that could have happened was that they were erased. If I had even thought that Darin moved them, I would have looked under New Topics to find them. But I was focused on that one thread, fully engaged in our discussion. I get up the next day and our discussion was gone!

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 am

Typically, when I split or move a post I add a note to the last entry in the original topic with a link to the new one and place a note in the new one where it came from so people can follow forward and back to gain larger context. It appears I did that on the new post, but failed to add that note to the original topic. It is a very cumbersome process and people aren’t perfect.

As you may have noticed, since most of our exchanges have been "less than fruitful" I have tried of late to avoid any back and forth exchange with you, responding to your every point or inquiry since you've been a bit of a bully. One of those tactics seems to have been to use a scatter-gun approach when you don't like where a line of argument is heading to derail the discussion and redirect it in so many other directions. This can be a bit overwhelming in trying to follow a thread which does include others trying to have a cogent discussion. That also makes it more difficult to break conversations and setup new topics without ruining the flow and context of other topics. It would be unwieldy to get consent from each contributor to do this, so I understand your frustration, but this should be a reminder to try and stay on topic and to create new topics rather than try and derail topical discussions.

I feel (particularly in light of the tenor of your thinly veiled accusations) that I owe you no explanation of how and why I do that or when or from whom I became a moderator. It's been 10-15 years ago and I barely remember, but it was in the beginnings of this site and I suspect Jarrod (who literally owns and runs this site) technically added me and a few others who serve the ministry in a variety of ways and who have been long contributors with trusted motives and skills as moderators/admins to help with the heavy lifting of maintaining and moderating a site like this over a long period of time.

I don't know if you didn't notice or are simply not revealing that I sent you a private message asking that we not discuss this on the open forum, and that I would be happy to help you or answer your questions there. I also suggested we might delete this entire discussion as it's not very edifying. I have received no response.

I might also point out a nifty feature I use every day - the "New Posts" quick link. Or the "Active Topics" link (or a few others) where you might be able to see new posts etc. There, it clearly showed a new topic for -- John 20:28 - "my lord and my god" -- a pretty good indicator that this was relevant to your inquiry.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:03 am

Darin,

First of all, I am gone at work 11-12 hours a day, 5 days a week, so it's easy to be overwhelmed with unanswered emails, and unread posts. Some of my days off, I am either too tired or occupied with other necessary things around the house, to even get on the keyboard.

I don't believe I was the one who even changed the topic to something other than "Jesus is God". Obviously, since Commonsense has an obsession with Abraham, we see where the source of this New Topic came from. I probably should not have responded to those Abraham issues, without suggesting that we move to a new topic. Actually, I was attempting to bring it back on topic with my posts on Thomas in John 20, but I think you had already moved us to Abrahamic Salvation. Then we were discussing Thomas, so you moved us again to "My Lord and My God". It all got very confusing very quickly. Look at us now. Even this post is off the topic at the top.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”