Abrahamic Salvation?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
commonsense

Re: Abrahamic Salvation?

Post by commonsense » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:31 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:59 am
Since Commonsense is not willing to give us a straightforward answer as to how many like-minded people he fellowships with,
I don't find the question pertinent to the topic.
commonsense wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 pm
Homer, we can continue in the discussion of the topic if you want to. If not, then we won't.

Starting with this verse: "All were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. All ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of the spiritual Rock that followed them and that Rock was Christ."

What does this mean to you? Because what it says to me, is that the spiritual food they received was the very same spiritual food that Jesus was feeding people, aka the Law of Christ which is the Law of God.

" If anyone puts My teachings into practice, you will be like a wise man who built his house on a rock ( the principles of God).
Do you have another interpretation?
As I said to Homer, we can continue in the discussion of the topic if you want to, if not then we won't.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 pm

I find it very pertinent, because it displays how you avoid points that we have made that invalidate your argument. In this particular case, you are avoiding (and hiding) the apparent fact that you don't have any other Christians who agree with you. The Bible is clear that "every fact is to be confirmed by the testimony of two or three witnesses" (2 Corinthians 13:1). But I suspect that you can't find even one Christian who agrees with you.

Do I have Christians who agree with me about the topic here? Yes, my wife, our pastor and his wife, two other couples at church, two singles at church. I daresay that Steve Gregg agrees with me and his wife. I think Homer agrees with me. It appears that Darin agrees on this topic.

Are there any Christians who agree with you that animal sacrifices are from foreign gods? That salvation comes from obeying the prophets and the golden rule? And your other opinions expressed here?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:35 am

The gist of what Commonsense often says is:

"This is nothing new." and

"Since Jesus was just a man, and He obeyed all of God's commands, so we too, can be saved by obeying God's commands."

Dwight -This is HERESY. All of Christendom acknowledges that the NEW COVENANT is JUST THAT - NEW!!

Dwight -And in the New Covenant or Testament, we are told that no man can obey all of God's commands, that we are sinners, and that we need a SAVIOR.

Dwight -BEWARE OF THIS FALSE TEACHING1

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:32 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:35 am
"This is nothing new."
All that Jesus was teaching can be found in the Old Testament.
dwight92070 wrote:
"Since Jesus was just a man, and He obeyed all of God's commands, so we too, can be saved by obeying God's commands."
From the words of your own mouth, apparently you agree with me. If I recall correctly, you said " Only those who obey Christ will be saved."
dwight92070 wrote:
we are told that no man can obey all of God's commands,
No. We are told to follow Jesus which means to do as He did.
dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 pm
Are there any Christians who agree with you that animal sacrifices are from foreign gods?
Yes. Actually there are. If you need Scriptural testimony, it's there in both the Old and the New Testaments.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:28 pm

There are quite a few statements in this thread about being saved and how to be saved.
Saved from what?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Paidion wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:28 pm
There are quite a few statements in this thread about being saved and how to be saved.
Saved from what?
Paidion, I'd say sin and the loss of the Spirit or connection to God, which causes our lives to become a desolate wasteland as described in the curses of Moses, being unfruitful, etc.etc. basically a living hell.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:04 am

commonsense wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:32 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
"This is nothing new."
All that Jesus was teaching can be found in the Old Testament.

Dwight - This is such an outlandish claim, that it hardly needs a comment. But I will do so anyway, just to show that you really don't know what you are talking about. Please tell us where you find the following teachings of Jesus are found in the Old Testament:

Matthew 5:11-12 - where Jesus mentions we are persecuted BECAUSE OF HIM and He mentions the magnitude of our reward
Matthew 5:13-16 - where Jesus says we are the salt of the earth, and the light of the world and how we are to glorify Him
Matthew 5: 17 - where Jesus says that He came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not abolish it
Matthew 5:18 -19 - where Jesus says that "not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law until all is accomplished"
Matthew 13 - The parable of the sower and the four kinds of soil; the parable of the tares among the wheat and hour the angels will take out the tares among the wheat at the end of the age; the parable of the mustard seed; the parable of the leaven; the parable of the treasure hidden in a field; the parable of a costly pearl; the parable of the dragnet and how the angels at the end of the age will take out the wicked from among the righteous
Matthew 15:11 - where Jesus says that it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles the man, not that that enters into the mouth.

Dwight - JUST TO GIVE ONLY A FEW EXAMPLES

Dwight - I have given you specific teachings of Jesus. Now you give me SPECIFIC scriptures in the Old Testament where you will find these teachings. If you just say, "The prophets and the Psalms cover all of that." , you would be wrong. Give me the exact verses that teach the same thing, since you made that claim.
dwight92070 wrote:
From the words of your own mouth, apparently you agree with me. If I recall correctly, you said " Only those who obey Christ will be saved."

Dwight - God gave specific words to Jesus (that He, God, did NOT SAY in the Old Testament) that we are to obey. Since Jesus came, we cannot be saved by obeying the commands of God from the Old Testament. God Himself made the Old Covenant OBSOLETE because Jesus fulfilled it. Hebrews 8:13 NOW, SINCE JESUS CAME, we must obey His commands to be saved - NO LONGER are we required to obey commands from the Old Testament.
dwight92070 wrote:
we are told that no man can obey all of God's commands,
No. We are told to follow Jesus which means to do as He did.

Dwight - Do you command the wind and the sea to be calm, as Jesus did? Do you walk on water, as Jesus did? Do you raise the dead, as Jesus did? Do you forgive the sins of men, actually blot them out, as Jesus did? Will you die for the sins of all mankind, as Jesus did?
NO, we are to obey His commands to us, not do everything that He did, because we can't.
dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 pm
Are there any Christians who agree with you that animal sacrifices are from foreign gods?
Yes. Actually there are. If you need Scriptural testimony, it's there in both the Old and the New Testaments.

Dwight - Just as Homer pointed out, you KNOW what I was asking, but you EVADE the question, because it appears there is no one ALIVE TODAY, that you can point to, AS I DID, WHO AGREES WITH YOU. Your teaching is FALSE.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:19 am

By the way, tell me who in the Old and New Testaments believed, as you do, that the Levitical law, as you call it, was from foreign gods.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:57 am

The following sentence is the doctrine of Commonsense:

Commonsense -From the words of your own mouth, apparently you agree with me. If I recall correctly, you said " Only those who obey Christ will be saved."

Dwight - Did you notice how Commonsense EQUATES GOD WITH CHRIST HERE? I thought he didn't think that Jesus was God.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:04 am
Dwight - I have given you specific teachings of Jesus. Now you give me SPECIFIC scriptures in the Old Testament where you will find these teachings. If you just say, "The prophets and the Psalms cover all of that." , you would be wrong. Give me the exact verses that teach the same thing, since you made that claim.
Dwight, The stories and parables that Jesus told were to reveal truths that can be found in the Old Testament.

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:04 am
Dwight - Do you command the wind and the sea to be calm, as Jesus did? Do you walk on water, as Jesus did? Do you raise the dead, as Jesus did? Do you forgive the sins of men, actually blot them out, as Jesus did? Will you die for the sins of all mankind, as Jesus did?
NO, we are to obey His commands to us, not do everything that He did, because we can't.
You said that no man can obey all of God's commands, yet you say that we are to obey His commands.????

"Forgive and you will be forgiven. If you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive you."

Jesus told Peter to get out of the boat and walk on water.
" Truly I tell you if you have faith and do not doubt, not only will you do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, "Be lifted up and thrown into the sea." it will happen. If you believe you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:19 am
By the way, tell me who in the Old and New Testaments believed, as you do, that the Levitical law, as you call it, was from foreign gods.
Isaiah: "To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me? I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed cattle. I do NOT delight in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats.When you come to appear before Me, WHO HAS REQUIRED THIS FROM YOUR HAND? Bring no more FUTILE sacrifices, incense is AN ABOMINATION to Me .........."
dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:57 am
Dwight - Did you notice how Commonsense EQUATES GOD WITH CHRIST HERE? I thought he didn't think that Jesus was God.

As I said before, God speaks through other people.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”