Acts 20:28 (God's own blood)

Man, Sin, & Salvation
darinhouston

Acts 20:28 (God's own blood)

Post by darinhouston » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 am

This verse has been used as a proof-text that God Himself died on the cross. We can save the philosophical and larger scriptural issues with that for another day. But, to keep this on topic as its own discussion, let's discuss translation and interpretation of this passage here. Consider how the NET bible translates it. I think they get it about right....
NET Bible wrote:Watch out for yourselves and for all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God that he obtained with the blood of his own Son.*
tn Or “with his own blood”; Grk “with the blood of his own.” The genitive construction could be taken in two ways: (1) as an attributive genitive (second attributive position) meaning “his own blood”; or (2) as a possessive genitive, “with the blood of his own.” In this case the referent is the Son, and the referent has been specified in the translation for clarity. See further C. F. DeVine, “The Blood of God,” CBQ 9 (1947): 381-408.

sn That he obtained with the blood of his own Son. This is one of only two explicit statements in Luke-Acts highlighting the substitutionary nature of Christ’s death (the other is in Luke 22:19).

Paidion

Re: Acts 20:28 (God's own blood)

Post by Paidion » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes. Westcott-Hort Greek has "δια του αιματος το ιδιου" (through the blood of the own)—that is "through the blood of his own son".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Isn't it "the blood of the lamb". Lambs and sheep are followers.God is not a follower.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 pm

commonsense wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Isn't it "the blood of the lamb". Lambs and sheep are followers.God is not a follower.
Which raises an interesting point as to the interpretation of verses which sound to imply pre-existence. When was the lamb slain?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 am
This verse has been used as a proof-text that God Himself died on the cross. We can save the philosophical and larger scriptural issues with that for another day. But, to keep this on topic as its own discussion, let's discuss translation and interpretation of this passage here. Consider how the NET bible translates it. I think they get it about right....
NET Bible wrote:Watch out for yourselves and for all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God that he obtained with the blood of his own Son.*
Dwight - The NET notes also says that Jesus is Himself God in John 1:18

Dwight - Titus 2:13, the NET notes say that "great God and Savior" refer to the same person, Jesus Christ, making this one of the clearest verses to show the deity of Christ.

Dwight - In Hebrews 1:8, the NET notes say that this is a strong affirmation of the deity of Christ.

Dwight - In John 8:58, the NET notes says that "I AM" is an explicit claim to deity.

Dwight - Obviously, the translators of the NET believed that Jesus is God. Of course - that's what it says.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 pm
Which raises an interesting point as to the interpretation of verses which sound to imply pre-existence. When was the lamb slain?
I'd say from the beginning. Abel being a lamb that was slain.

"As a result, this generation will be charged with the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the foundation of the world, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah."

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:16 am

commonsense wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 pm
darinhouston wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 pm
I'd say from the beginning. Abel being a lamb that was slain.

"As a result, this generation will be charged with the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the foundation of the world, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah."
I guess I should have been more specific. I mean the one specifically mentioned in Rev 13:8 (assumed to be a reference to Jesus).

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:16 am
I guess I should have been more specific. I mean the one specifically mentioned in Rev 13:8 (assumed to be a reference to Jesus).
The Book of life of the Lamb=The teaching of the Spirit of God and the way of life (the way man shall live) according to Him.
Jesus wasn't the only lamb of God. There are many names(plural) written in there, who died for the truth God, including Abel and the true prophets.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the holy spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

...for I know that this shall turn out for me to salvation, through your supplication and the supply of the spirit of Jesus Christ.
(Phillippians 1:19)

When we have removed the capitalization of "spirit" and "holy spirit" and have understood it to mean, not "the third Person of the Trinity" but simply the spirit of the Father and/or the Son, we may well be able to understand that it was the spirit of the Son, of Jesus Christ, who "made you overseers". That is, the Son Himself, Jesus Christ, obtained the church of God with his own blood.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Paidion wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm
When we have removed the capitalization of "spirit" and "holy spirit" and have understood it to mean, not "the third Person of the Trinity" but simply the spirit of the Father and/or the Son, we may well be able to understand that it was the spirit of the Son, of Jesus Christ, who "made you overseers". That is, the Son Himself, Jesus Christ, obtained the church of God with his own blood.
There were many who drank from the same cup the Jesus drank from. It took the blood of many like Jesus, speaking the truth to get the church established.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”