Lordship Salvation (sinfulness)

Man, Sin, & Salvation
darinhouston

Re: Lordship Salvation (sinfulness)

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:56 pm

In2joy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:06 pm
How much can I get away with and still get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think anyone sincerely asking that question to see what they can get away with have not had the sort of mind and heart change to "get in." And it's not that we don't sin, but our attitude about it and response to it which proves the state of our heart -- are we directionally inclined to follow Jesus? Do we want to do God's will and turn to Jesus when we fail, seeking to avoid that in the future? If so, it's not about how much or how often we "fail." Grace is abundant if it's not taken for granted as a way to "get away" with avoiding God's will or following Jesus as Lord. If we take that course, we are in dangerous territory. Only God knows how patient He will be in a particular case like that, but it's a mindset to avoid.

commonsense

Re: Lordship Salvation (sinfulness)

Post by commonsense » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:38 am

Paidion wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:01 pm
Here's a passage from Romans 5 (ESV) that seems to say it all. I would be happy to read your exposition of this passage:
Paidion, I'm not a believer in the original sin theory. I don't think God condemned the whole human race because of one man's sin. Why would He do that? It sounds like a man-made theory to me.
Paidion wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:01 pm

14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
It says that "death" reigned from Adam to Moses. So what happened to death when Moses came along? It would be reasonable to conclude that something changed, where death no longer reigned, but instead, righteousness reigned.

And what of Noah and sons? Evil would not have been reigning at that time either.

I think Paul is making a comparison: our acts of sin and what it produces, compared to our acts of righteousness and what that produces. We reap what we sow in other words, as in the parable of the sower and the seed.

As we see in the case of Moses, his obedience to God made a change.
Also in the case of Abraham as it says in Hebrews 11:12 "Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude.
Hebrews goes on to say: "Pursue peace with all men, and holiness without which no one will see the Lord.....lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”