What IS the Grace of God?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Paidion

Re: What IS the Grace of God?

Post by Paidion » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:32 pm

I have never claimed that some people have become perfect or sinless.
I have said that the purpose of the death of Christ is to deliver us from sin, and that this is a life-long process.

If we come to the point when we cease being delivered, or think we do not need any further deliverance, we are in trouble—big trouble.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:40 pm

Paidion,

The quote from Alford's commentary stated that Christ, by His sacrifice, accomplished much more than the amelioration of sin.
amelioration
[əˌmēlēəˈrāSH(ə)n]
NOUN
formal
the act of making something better; improvement.
"progress brings with it the amelioration of the human condition"
synonyms:
advance · development · upgrade · change for the better · refinement · enhancement · furtherance · advancement · forwarding · boost · augmentation · raising · correction · rectification · rectifying · upgrading · rally · recovery · upswing · breakthrough
You wrote:
Yes, it accomplished much more that amelioration — improvement, betterment.
It accomplished the possibility of elimination.
But that elimination is not instantaneous; it is a life-long process.
And you wrote:
I have never claimed that some people have become perfect or sinless.
I have said that the purpose of the death of Christ is to deliver us from sin, and that this is a life-long process.

If we come to the point when we cease being delivered, or think we do not need any further deliverance, we are in trouble—big trouble.
You said the atonement accomplished the possibility of the elimination of sin and then appear to say that is not possible in anyone's lifetime. The statements appear contradictory. If no one can ever achieve perfection what is left but amelioration? Perhaps I misunderstand you. Please explain.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 pm

The process of elimination of sin is made available to Christians through the sacrifice of Christ. This is a life-long continual process, and I think probably never comes to the point where the Christian can say, "Now I am free from sin, never to sin again." However, that doesn't imply that the process has come to a halt. If the Christian trusts in Christ for His enabling grace to deliver him, then that deliverance becomes a reality for him throughout his life, and he will continue to be delivered.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:01 pm

Here is a quote from Origen, that may or may not be relevant:

This restoration to unity must not be imagined as a sudden happening. Rather it is to be thought of as gradually effected by stages during the passing of countless ages. Little by little and individually the correction and purification will be accomplished. Some will lead the way and climb to the heights with swifter progress, others following right behind them; yet others will be far behind. Thus multitudes of individuals and countless orders, who were once enemies, will advance and reconcile themselves to God; and so at length the last enemy will be reached.
(Origen A.D. 184-253, De Principiis, III. vi. 6)
Paidion

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:08 pm

Paidion,

Perhaps you can clear things up if you give your view of the sacrificial system we find in Leviticus 16.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:52 am

Actually, I don't hold to any particular "view" of that system. Truthfully, I don't pay any attention to it.

My position is that the only real deliverance from sin came through Christ's sacrificial death and resurrection,
and that this deliverance continues throughout our lives as long as we entrust ourselves to Jesus for it.
Paidion

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”