Functional Kenosis

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dwight92070

Re: Functional Kenosis

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:36 am

dizerner wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:43 am
I agree Jesus did more miracles than anyone else, but that could theoretically indicate only he is the greatest prophet (without the other arguments I listed).
Dwight - If you read carefully, you would see that it wasn't just that He did more miracles than other prophets. He did things that no other prophet could do. His transfiguration. What other prophet or apostle did that? His foretelling of when and how He would die. He walked on water, stilled the sea, made water into wine, He raised Himself from the dead. He never sinned. He was the Lamb of God for the sins of the world. He fulfilled the Law. There's no record of any other prophet or apostle who could do any of these. He knew things about heaven and earth that no other prophet or apostle had revealed to them, or could possibly know. Did you notice that Jesus doesn't seem to need revelation about anything? He ALREADY KNOWS things that only God could possibly know. For example, what happens to a demon when it is cast out of a person? Jesus knew. Will their be marriage in heaven? Jesus knew. How do the angels respond when one sinner repents? Jesus knew. He could have asked His Father for twelve legions of angels to save Him from death. No other prophet could do anything like this. How could He know that Sodom and Gomorrah would have repented, had they seen the miracles in Cana? How could He know that little children had angels, apparently assigned to them, who continually beheld the face of the Father? How could He know that the only reason Moses allowed divorce was because of the hard hearts of the people? No other prophet could know these things.
You might say that the other prophets and apostles had things revealed to them too. True, but nothing like what Jesus knew. In fact, it appears that Jesus ALREADY knew these things. He didn't seem to need revelation. Jesus spoke with authority ALL the time, not like the other prophets or apostles. He was much more than just the greatest prophet or the greatest apostle. Only Jesus could say "MY Father". To the rest of us it is, "OUR Father". All the other prophets and apostles needed faith. Where does it say that Jesus exercised faith?

Jesus did sometimes command miracles, but he also clearly prayed for them as well:

So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me. — John 11

Dwight - That may be true in the raising of Lazarus, but did you notice that the only reason He verbally prayed was "for the benefit of the people standing here", which indicates to me that that verbal prayer was not even necessary?

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”