The Trinity: What Must Be Believed

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
mikew

Re: The Trinity: What Must Be Believed

Post by mikew » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:13 pm

Homer wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:29 pm
I have long believed that Christianity is a simple religion , that is, what must be believed to be saved, to be a Christian, is simple. I say this as one who believes that the Trinity is the best explanation of the relationship of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I speak here of what is necessary to believe. What is better or best to believe is another matter.

I base my position mostly on the "conversion narratives" we read in the Book of Acts. There are about eleven or so. In reading them I do not see any preaching by the Apostles/evangelists that would require belief in or imply the Trinity of later creeds. What I see is preaching Jesus as Lord, Christ, Son of God, Jesus made both Lord and Christ, good news about the Kingdom, etc. No elaborations about Christology. And we read of thousands saved on those terms. I conclude that the doctrine of the Trinity is not a salvation issue.

Years ago a man who I worked closely with was a member of the Seventh Day Assembly of God, definitely a non-Trinitarian. He was one of the most Godly men I ever knew, and I considered him to be my Christian brother.

All this is not to say the Trinity is not good to be believed. It has a useful benefit in apologetics. Christians very early on were accused of being polytheists. To answer this challenge, the Trinity, or something like it, is of much help. It is interesting to discuss the many non-essential doctrines, but IMO how we love, or fail to, love our neighbor is more important.
The trinity (or deity of Christ) does not seem to be part of the evangelistic message. Instead, the evangelism would focus on the death and resurrection of Christ as our reconciliation to God. So, the trinity is not the message necessary for justification. I do recommend teaching and holding to some level of confession involving the identity and nature of Christ so that people recognize the deceitful or corrupting messages that many groups may have -- and thus steer people away from the faith. I would be cautious in recommending church groups that are not solid on this doctrine since they may be trying to compromise the message of faith so they can attract a broader group of congregants. And as noted, the benefit is probably best toward apologetics, but possibly also for the security of truth in the church. Justification appears to be possible on by the sacrifice of Christ Jesus who is of the Godhead.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”