The First Act of God

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dwight92070

Re: The First Act of God

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Nowhere in scripture do we find "God's first act" mentioned. I know - the word "Trinity" isn't mentioned either, but the concept is, over and over. There is a first day of God's creation, and a first miracle of Jesus, but no mention is made of a first act of God, nor an explanation of what that act might be.

But let's assume that there was such a thing as "God's first act." Then what did He do before that? Nothing? How can a God who does nothing even be God? In both the Old and the New Testament, God commands us to work, for our entire lives. Would He not also be continually working? Jesus Himself affirmed this, in John 5:17 - "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working." What was the Father doing since creation? How was He working? We are not told, but Jesus told us that He was continually working.

Also, the "first" of anything assumes that time has elapsed. How do we know that time even existed prior to the creation of the "heavenly clock", the sun and the moon and the stars, and of course, the earth itself? We don't.

"The First Act of God" is a made-up concept, invented by men who don't want to accept the scriptural truth that Jesus is God, opting instead for a view that Jesus somehow came into existence long before the creation week. They believe there was a time when Jesus DID NOT EXIST.

But Jesus said "Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You BEFORE THE WORLD WAS." John 17:5 So we know that He pre-existed, even before the world was created. Did you catch that phrase - "glorify Me TOGETHER WITH YOURSELF"? So the Son and the Father deserve EQUAL GLORY, even though God said that He would not share His glory with anyone else.

The prophet Micah tells us about the Son of God, Jesus, - "His goings forth are from long ago, from the days of eternity. Paul tells Timothy that not only is King Jesus immortal (never dying), but He is also ETERNAL ( Having no beginning and no end). The only reason He chose to die ONCE was to save all mankind from our sins.

SO JESUS HAD NO BEGINNING AND HE WILL HAVE NO END. The author of Hebrews knew He was - He called Jesus "God" twice, and said that God commanded that ALL the angels of God should worship Him.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Dwight wrote:But let's assume that there was such a thing as "God's first act." Then what did He do before that? Nothing?
Dwight, you brought up this "point" before, and I answered it, but you didn't address my answer.
I'll say it again. Because it was God's first act, there WAS no "before that"!
That first act of God (the begetting of the Son) marked the beginning of time!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Paidion wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:21 pm
Dwight wrote:But let's assume that there was such a thing as "God's first act." Then what did He do before that? Nothing?
Dwight, you brought up this "point" before, and I answered it, but you didn't address my answer.
I'll say it again. Because it was God's first act, there WAS no "before that"!
That first act of God (the begetting of the Son) marked the beginning of time!
Dwight - It's one thing to fabricate the misguided idea that God begat His Son before He created the heavens and the earth (based on the misinterpretation of one verse - Colossians 1:15), but then you add to that a second fabrication - that that was God's first act. But that still isn't enough, so your third fabrication says that that marked the beginning of time!

Dwight - All of that is sheer, unadulterated, speculation, which flies in the face of the truth of scripture, that Jesus is the Eternal God and therefore, ALWAYS EXISTED. Isaiah said it, Micah said it, Jesus Himself said it, Thomas said it, John said it, Paul said it, and the author of Hebrews said it. There never was a time when He did not exist. But I guess 7 witnesses from the word of God, (all godly men, including the Lord Himself), are not sufficient for you.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”