The Inescapable Trinity

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
commonsense

Re: The Inescapable Trinity

Post by commonsense » Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 pm

When the New Testament refers to Jesus as the Son of God, He's not some unknown God. They're clearly connecting him to Israel " Israel is My son, My firstborn.", which is what the whole entire Bible is about-ISRAEL- the people of the one true God.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu May 13, 2021 11:22 am

To Dwight I wrote:When Matthew wrote that, the word "Trinity" had not yet been invented. So what do you think was the one name that Matthew had in mind?
In reply Dwight wrote: He tells us very clearly. I'm surprised you missed it. The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
"The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" is not a name—and certainly not ONE name!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu May 13, 2021 12:40 pm

I think you could substitute "person" for "name" and come close to what Matthew meant to convey.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Paidion wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:22 am
To Dwight I wrote:When Matthew wrote that, the word "Trinity" had not yet been invented. So what do you think was the one name that Matthew had in mind?
In reply Dwight wrote: He tells us very clearly. I'm surprised you missed it. The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
"The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" is not a name—and certainly not ONE name!
Dwight - If we are talking about one entity or one God, comprised of three persons, then it is a name.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:47 pm

commonsense wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:20 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 pm
Matthew 28:19 - "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit ..."
God established His name in Abraham, the father of Israel, and in Israel the son of God, which now continues on through us in Jesus.
The God who was once known as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, is now known through Jesus.

Isaiah: The Holy Spirit led them by the right hand of Moses to establish for Himself an everlasting name.
Dwight - Your comments are off the wall. They don't rationally relate to the topic, and they're often unBiblical. Are you smoking pot as you respond here?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Paidon,

It is the name that Jesus gave us to use, when baptizing, for example.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu May 13, 2021 9:26 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Paidon,

In Acts 2:38, Peter said to baptize in the name of Jesus. That doesn't cause me any problems, but doesn't that give you a problem if you think that's the same thing as baptizing in the name of all three persons? Even if Jesus is one of the persons of a triune God, you don't think he's the same thing as all three persons, do you? How do you reconcile that?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:26 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Paidon,

In Acts 2:38, Peter said to baptize in the name of Jesus. That doesn't cause me any problems, but doesn't that give you a problem if you think that's the same thing as baptizing in the name of all three persons? Even if Jesus is one of the persons of a triune God, you don't think he's the same thing as all three persons, do you? How do you reconcile that?
Dwight - Actually, Steve has said that very thing - To baptize in the name of Jesus is baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I agree. Either way is valid.

Dwight - Quoting you: "you don't think he's the same thing as all three persons, do you? How do you reconcile that?" There you go again, trying to figure out the intricate details of the Trinity. We don't know. Try reading Job 38-41 and see if you understand all of those things. If we can't understand God's creation, how can we possibly understand God Himself? We CAN apprehend that there are 3 persons, but we cannot comprehend the essence of His being.

Dwight - You want an explanation of the Trinity? How's this? "I am who I am".

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Thu May 13, 2021 11:00 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:47 pm
Dwight - Your comments are off the wall. They don't rationally relate to the topic, and they're often unBiblical. Are you smoking pot as you respond here?
My view is totally rational and Biblical as well. God is not a man. That's rational AND Biblical.God established His everlasting name in Israel, just as Isaiah says.
" He led them by the right hand of Moses, TO ESTABLISH FOR HIMSELF AN EVERLASTING NAME.". That's Biblical.

Jesus was a son of ISRAEL. ISRAEL BEING THE SON OF GOD in whom it was declared "Israel is MY son, My firstborn.". That's Biblical.

Sons of Israel were sons of God as it was declared"You are gods and sons of the Most High." That's Biblical.

Jesus was NOT some unknown SECOND God that suddenly appears on the scene out of nowhere. That's not Biblical.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:42 am

commonsense wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:00 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:47 pm
My view is totally rational and Biblical as well. God is not a man. That's rational AND Biblical.God established His everlasting name in Israel, just as Isaiah says.
" He led them by the right hand of Moses, TO ESTABLISH FOR HIMSELF AN EVERLASTING NAME.". That's Biblical.

Jesus was a son of ISRAEL. ISRAEL BEING THE SON OF GOD in whom it was declared "Israel is MY son, My firstborn.". That's Biblical.

Sons of Israel were sons of God as it was declared"You are gods and sons of the Most High." That's Biblical.

Jesus was NOT some unknown SECOND God that suddenly appears on the scene out of nowhere. That's not Biblical.

Dwight - Okay, I'll bite. What does any of this have to do with the Trinity?

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”