Abe Lincoln on the Bible

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
PR

Abe Lincoln on the Bible

Post by PR » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am

Here's a nice quote I ran across this morning:

“Take all this book upon reason that you can, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier and better man.” — Abraham Lincoln, speaking of the Bible.

Pretty sage advice...

PR

darinhouston

Re: Abe Lincoln on the Bible

Post by darinhouston » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:47 pm

He was pretty well known for being antagonistic towards Christianity until he created a political persona. I think we tend to invent our own heroes.

You might find this interesting.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2018/09/tho ... eally-was/

Here’s a relevant excerpt:

The book confirms in spades what economist Murray N. Rothbard once said about Lincoln in an (online) essay entitled “Just War”: Lincoln was a “master politician,” said Rothbard, defined as one who is a masterful “liar, conniver, and manipulator.” He makes any “master politician” or our time look amateurish by comparison.

Lincoln never joined a church, and both his law partner William Herndon and his wife Mary Todd said he was not a Christian. His White House assistant, Colonel Ward Lamon, called him “an infidel.” His close associate Judge David Davis, whom he appointed to the Supreme Court, wrote that Lincoln “had no faith, in the Christian sense of the term.” But his mother read him Bible stories as a child, and later in life he studied the Bible for political purposes – to use religious rhetoric to sway the masses to favor his political positions.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:09 am

In regard to the quote of Lincoln we should all have Paul's attitude:

Philippians 1:18 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice.
Yes, and I will rejoice,

Our current president does and says many things that make me wince yet he has done much that Christians should rejoice over.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:22 pm

When his son died, Lincoln reportedly said, "May God live in all. He was too good for this earth. The good Lord has called him home. I know that he is much better off in Heaven."

By the way, Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin were both born on the same day in the same year. I also was born in the same month on the same day, but a few years later.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”