Our “spirits”?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: Our “spirits”?

Post by backwoodsman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Paidion wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:18 pm
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no-one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. (1 Cor 2:11 NIV)

This seems to suggest that a man's spirit is the thinking part of him, and that similarly, God's spirit is the thinking part of HIM.
To me it suggests the opposite, that the spirit is something different than the thinking part. If they were the same, he'd simply have said something like, "Only a man knows his own thoughts, and only God knows His own thoughts." Paul wasn't one to waste words; why would he mention the spirits if they're not something different?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:13 pm

As I see it, for Paul, like the Christians of his day, "spirit" is tantamount to what we, in our day, label as "mind."
(though Paul also used the word "mind" in the same way).

Even today, people say things such as, "I feel it in my spirit" or "I feel it in my soul". Or are feelings limited to the "spirit" or "soul", whereas the "mind" only thinks, but doesn't feel?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:25 pm

For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no-one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. (1 Cor 2:11 NIV)

This seems to suggest that a man's spirit is the thinking part of him, and that similarly, God's spirit is the thinking part of HIM.

I think here Paul suggests we have a human spirit and it alone knows our thoughts on some level. I'm not sure if it means the human spirit is the thinking part of man, rather then it senses things on a deeper level.
In Romans 8 Paul said the Holy Spirit talks to our spirit & Paul said he would rather be absent from the body and present with the Lord. If Paul is absent from the body yet can be present with the Lord without his body , what is it that is present with the Lord? Clearly his human spirit in some form perhaps like an angel?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Steve7150 wrote:In Romans 8 Paul said the Holy Spirit talks to our spirit & Paul said he would rather be absent from the body and present with the Lord. If Paul is absent from the body yet can be present with the Lord without his body , what is it that is present with the Lord? Clearly his human spirit in some form perhaps like an angel?
That isn't clear to me at all.
I think Paul is saying that he would rather be absent from this present mortal body, and present with the Lord in the future immortal resurrected body that he will receive when Jesus returns and raises the dead.

I do not believe that people who have died are now conscious in an "intermediate state" prior to their resurrection. I believe that the resurrection is necessary for future existence rather than merely for the purpose of giving Christians bodies.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 pm

Steve7150 wrote:
In Romans 8 Paul said the Holy Spirit talks to our spirit & Paul said he would rather be absent from the body and present with the Lord. If Paul is absent from the body yet can be present with the Lord without his body , what is it that is present with the Lord? Clearly his human spirit in some form perhaps like an angel?

That isn't clear to me at all.
I think Paul is saying that he would rather be absent from this present mortal body, and present with the Lord in the future immortal resurrected body that he will receive when Jesus returns and raises the dead.

You are simply adding to what Paul said because of your pre-supposition. It doesn't fit so add words to make it fit.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:41 pm

I wasn't ADDING to what Paul said. I was EXPLAINING what Paul said.
Paidion

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:04 pm

I wasn't ADDING to what Paul said. I was EXPLAINING what Paul said.

Phil 1.21 "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain. If i go on living in the body this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall i choose? I do not know I am torn between the two. I desire to depart and be with Christ which is better by far , but it is more necessary for you that i remain in the body."

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:35 am

Phil 1.21 "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain. If i go on living in the body this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall i choose? I do not know I am torn between the two. I desire to depart and be with Christ which is better by far , but it is more necessary for you that i remain in the body."

Right. Again, Paul indicates that his desire is to depart from his present body, and to be with Christ when he is raised from the dead.
Paidion

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:08 am

when he is raised from the dead.
Paidion

Not only did Paul not mention "when he is raised from the dead" but he said several things that indicate he thought there were only two imminent possibilities like,

"to die is gain" Why would going to the grave be a gain??
"desire to depart and be with Christ" {Desire and be with Christ)
"Yet what will i choose"
"I am torn between the two" ("Torn between THE TWO") The two what? The body or the grave?? Why would the grave be a choice you are torn about? It simply makes no sense. He is torn between fruitful labor or being with Christ imminently!

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:25 pm

"to die is gain" Why would going to the grave be a gain??
Because, the next thing of which you would be aware, would be to be alive forever when you are raised from the dead.

"desire to depart and be with Christ" {Desire and be with Christ)

Same thing. Paul desired to depart from this life, and to be with Christ in his resurrection life.
Paidion

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”