Did Jesus ever make a mistake?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
TK

Did Jesus ever make a mistake?

Post by TK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:21 pm

I finally got the nerve up to call Steve's show to ask him this but lo and behold he is off this week.

Did Jesus ever make a mistake? I am not talking about sinning. I am talking about a mistake in fact. I was talking to someone who can't accept that Jesus ever made a mistake in fact because it "opens too many doors."

For example, did he need to use an eraser when doing his math homework ( figuratively speaking of course)!

I believe he made an immature error in judgement when he stayed at the temple when he was 12 without telling his parents. Again I am not saying he sinned. But it seems he should have known his folks would be worried sick. Scripture does say he grew in wisdom.

What do you all think?

TK

Singalphile

Re: Did Jesus ever make a mistake?

Post by Singalphile » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi.

That is a thing I've wondered about a bit. I'm sure we all agree that having an incorrect opinion and making a mistake are not sins. So ...?
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:33 pm

I read a little more online about the question. There are some interesting articles.

I guess the question would only matter because it might help us to know how to learn from or respond to our own mistakes. I like that Paul (Phil 2:1-11) says that we should not do anything out of conceit and that we should consider others better than ourselves with "humility of mind" (NASB) and that that attitude/mind was in Christ Jesus. Of course Jesus taught humility as well (Luke 18:9-14).

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Singalphile wrote:I'm sure we all agree that having an incorrect opinion and making a mistake are not sins.
Singalphile, do you consider "trespasses" in the verse below to be sins?

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matt 6:14,15)

Well... the word translated as "trespasses" in this passage is the Greek word (in its singular form) παραπτωμα (paraptōma) which literally means "FALLING BESIDE", and which lexicons indicate as meaning "a false step" or "a blunder".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Paidion wrote: Singalphile, do you consider "trespasses" in [Matt 6:14,15] to be sins?

Well... the word translated as "trespasses" in this passage is the Greek word (in its singular form) παραπτωμα (paraptōma) which liteally means "FALLING BESIDE", and which lexicons indicate as meaning "a false step" or "a blunder".
I would have answered yes, I think. That is interesting. Looks like translations are varied: "sin", "faults", "failures", "wrongdoing", "trespasses", "offences". I guess we'd call all of those things mistakes.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I don't think we are encouraged to think Jesus was omniscient while he dwelt among of as a man, and if he indeed grew in wisdom as he grew in stature, I think we should understand that he went through process of learning. I see no scary doors which must not be opened. Making a mathematical error, tripping over a rock, dropping a plate of food,or spilling milk, none of these are moral failings. The claim is that Jesus was without sin, not that if he played darts he could not help but hit the bullseye every time. Perfect obedience doesn't require flawless performance in every aspect.

I think Jesus' eraser would have been as worn down as yours or mine, if he'd had one.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I think it is important to point out that you can ask forgiveness even where you have not sinned. If we were having lunch and I knocked my water all over you, you can bet I'd be apologizing and doing whatever I could to make it right, but there wouldn't be sin here. Spilling water on you and throwing water on you are different things.

I don't think it's so scandalous to see Jesus as wishing at times that he could have done this or that a bit better. Maybe he didn't. I don't know.
Perfect obedience, can exist even if you have a misstep, and it seems you're asking about non-moral, trivial missteps like math problems.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am

That's right, Bryan. I am talking about mistakes not involving moral choices or consequences. I really like your "darts" example. Think about it- how likeable would Jesus have been if every time He did something he did it perfectly right the first time?

I mean, did he really tie his sandals correctly on the first try?

It seems that certain persons are afraid to admit that Jesus may have made these types of mistakes because 1) the Bible doesn't say so (true) 2) he was perfect (true- in a sense, but perhaps not in other senses and 3) it means he wasn't God.

TK

Ryan07

Post by Ryan07 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:36 am

I think he probably made mistakes. Stubbed his toe, had a booger.
It wouldn't have been much of a human experience without that.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Yeah, I agree that he had a legit human experience... if he had to grow in wisdom that means he wasn't perfect in wisdom out of the gate... as a human I'm sure he had to learn how to use the tools of his trade and probably whacked his thumb with a hammer... which may have caused his eyes to water, which may have included a runny nose, which may have resulted in... yes, a booger. Thank God (literally) we have a savior who can identify with us and with whom we can relate.

"Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people." Hebrews 2:17

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”