Should a Christian keep any of the Commandments?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
jriccitelli

Should a Christian keep any of the Commandments?

Post by jriccitelli » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 pm

I think the keeping of the Law is a personal matter, in fact that is why the written code could not convey 'grace and truth' (John 1:17) because moral behavior is complex and intimate, yet just as well as it needs to be simple (General) and social.

Knowing right from wrong, is a very complex matter and no written letter could ever explain the right choice for every given situation, that is the main reason for God giving us His Holy Spirit;

"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.19 After a little while the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me; because I live, you will live also.20 In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.21 He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him… 23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me. 25 "These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you.26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. (John 14:16-26)

Alluding to the verses that tell us to "keep my commandments" can bring out almost hostile reactions from among some Christians, and understandably since we are free from the Law, but what does that mean if Jesus also said to keep My commandments?
Is Jesus referring to a simpler, or different Law?

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.'38 This is the great and foremost commandment.39 The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophet." (Matt 22:36-40)

So, the greatest commandment seems to be in the Old law, so does the New law nullify the greatest commandment;
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34)

Yet this Commandment, was in the Old Law;
"You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD" (Leviticus 19:18, 34)

So is the New commandment opposed to the Old, or is it agreement? What difference* is there between them;
"Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining" (1John 2:7-8)

Even John 14:21 is a reference to Exodus 20:6;
"but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments" (Exodus 20:6)
"He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me" (John 14:21)

The New Commandment is to Believe in Jesus, just as in Exodus 4:5 and Exodus 19, right before the giving of the Law, they were given the signs so that they would believe Moses, and that it was truly God who had spoken through Him;

'The LORD said to Moses, "Behold, I will come to you in a thick cloud, so that the people may hear when I speak with you and may also believe in you forever." Then Moses told the words of the people to the LORD" (Exodus 19:9)

"This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us" (1 John 3:23)

* The difference maybe in 'Who' can keep the commandments (Jesus can and did), and 'How' they are kept (In Him, by His Spirit, moral, ceremonial, ritual, and priestly)

dseusy

Re: Should a Christian keep any of the Commandments?

Post by dseusy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 am

Jriccitelli,

What does keep mean to you?

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 pm

To 'keep' them I mean 'kept in' Him. Interpreted spiritually, yet the 'effect' of the biblical principles usually have a physical and moral reality. So as the Sacrifice of Jesus was absolutely 'physical' the biblical descriptions are given to us in spiritual language, which can generally give us a deeper and wider meaning than simply a literal and physical application. I didn’t have time to complete my thoughts on the following laws, but I would like hear what others would interpret the ritual law to mean also, since it is by the Spirit.

Read through the 613 Laws of the Old Testament and you will notice that most of them you 'want' to do as a Christian, that is, the Moral Laws. So, what about the Ceremonial and Ritual Laws, why did God bother with them if they are supposed to be just forgotten?

I understand that some do see the significance of them, but I've met very few that do.
Please believe me that I am not 'telling' anyone to keep the Commandments, what I am saying is that we can keep the commandments when we are 'in Him', or should I say let each man decide for himself what is good. We are free from the Law, so I am in fact 'free' to do Good. Not out of compulsion, or out of fear, or to please men, but I make myself a slave of the one who gave of Himself for me.
It would be hard to argue with the Moral Laws (In the Pentateuch) and not want to keep them, but as I read through all the Ritual and Ceremonial Laws I found more and more I could glean and apply as principle, as reason, and desire for communion and thanksgiving in Jesus.

I know I am going to come across as some spiritualizing dreamer (and I am) when I say this; but after I looked through the ritual and ceremonial Laws in Gods Word I couldn't find but a few that didn’t have Godly principles that speak of Christ and His life (By a few, I might note, that I just never had time to understand or research the background on these laws). Most have really interesting meaning and significance, and it also seems they have their greatest meaning and fulfillment when seen through the ministry and life of, and in, Christ.

(There are many different orders of compiling the 613, or so, Laws, though they are all generally the same Torah verses. Since I do not want to retype the list I will use a list online at; http://www.gospeloutreach.net/613laws.html )

Note the first group in the list under the title; 'The Worship of Yahweh'.
(As you read these, ask yourself; which of these laws are spiritual principles that a Christian would want, or not want, for him or herself?)

1. Believe in Yahweh as the Only Source of Power in the Universe. (Exodus 20:2)

2. Submit to Yahweh as the Supreme Head, to be in unity with Yahweh. (Deuteronomy 6:4)

3. Love Yahweh with all your heart, soul, and might. (Deuteronomy 6:5)

4. Reverence Yahweh by Keeping His Laws. (Deuteronomy 6:12-13, 25)

5. Serve Yahweh. (Exodus 23:25)

6. Hold fast to Yahweh. (Deuteronomy 10:20)

7. Taking an oath by Yahweh's Name. (Deuteronomy 6:13)

8. Walk in Yahweh's ways. (Deuteronomy 28:9)

9. Sanctify Yahweh's Name. (Leviticus 22:32)

10. Read (study and meditate on) the Book of the Law. (Deuteronomy 6:7)

11. Teach the Book of the Law to our children. (Deuteronomy 6:7)

12. Bind the Law upon our hands. (Deuteronomy 6:8)

13. Bind (write) the Law upon our minds. (Deuteronomy 6:8)

14. Make tzitzit on the corners of the tallits. (Numbers 15:38-40)

15. Preach and publish Yahweh's Law. (Deuteronomy 6:9)

16. Gather for the reading of the Law every seventh year. (Deuteronomy 31:10-13)

17. A king must acquire and apply the Book of the Law. (Deuteronomy 17:18-20)

18. Acquire the Book of the Law. (Deuteronomy 31:19)

19. Be thankful to Yahweh in prayer, praise, and deed. (Deuteronomy 8:10)

(Note; you will probably say I don’t want to spiritually wear tzitzit on the corners of my clothes. The tzitit is sewn on a garment or shawl and worn as a 'reminder' to keep the commandments; being reminded to keep the Word of God is something I do by reading the Word of God. I wear it as I walk as He walked. It is interesting that some Jews believe that the Messiah, when He comes, will reveal the correct color of blue thread to use in the sewing of the tallit as prescribed by their 'traditions'. I think adding to the Law of the tzitit misses the whole purpose of the Messiah, thus missing the Messiah completely)

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Laws of Sacrifice;
(All the sacrifices were a shadow and similitude of the great One sacrifice of Jesus. Yet as each sacrifice spoke of something, Christ's sacrifice spoke for everything. The 'many' sacrifices remind us of how 'many' reasons, how 'many' sins, and how 'often' it was necessary for us to be forgiven 'and' thankful)

The continual burnt offering (Tamid sacrifice) must be offered twice daily. (Numbers 28:2-6)
The grain and drink offering must be offered twice daily. (Numbers 28:2-8) y

(We need His forgiveness daily)

An additional sacrifice must be offered every Sabbath. (Numbers 28:9-10)
An additional sacrifice must be offered on The New Moon. (Numbers 28:11-15)
An additional sacrifice must be offered every day of The Feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover). (Numbers 28:18-24)

(We need to thank Him every week, every month, and when we are in a hurry)

The Omer offering of the first barley must also be brought on the first day of The Feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover) and must be waved by the priests on the second day of the Feast. (Leviticus 23:10-14)
An additional offering must be offered at The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost). (Numbers 28:26-30)
Two wave loaves of bread baked with salt must be offered on The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost). (Leviticus 23:17)
An additional sacrifice must be offered on The Feast of Trumpets. (Numbers 29:1-6)
An additional sacrifice must be offered on the Day of Atonement. (Numbers 29:7-8)
The Atonement Service must be performed on the Day of Atonement. (Leviticus 16:2-34)
An additional sacrifice must be offered every day of The Feast of Tabernacles. (Numbers 29:12-34)
An additional sacrifice must be offered on The Last Great Day. (Numbers 29:35-40)
Three times a year keep a Feast to Yahweh: at The Feast of Unleavened Bread, at The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost), and at The Feast of Tabernacles. (Exodus 23:14-17)
The Feasts of Yahweh must be kept only at the Place Yahweh chooses, at the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Deuteronomy 12:5-7, 14)
Every household must appear before Yahweh and rejoice at the Feasts. (Deuteronomy 16:14)

(As sacrifice was also a way of giving thanks, and the feasts a way of celebrating peace with God and peace with fellow worshippers, so it is with us. Gods sacrifice of His Son was a peace offering, an offering of love, a call to communion and an invitation to oneness with Him. All this is 'in Christ'. We hear this In His prayer 'that we be one with Him', and one with one another. When we share with Him His life and His death, and an invitation to wedding of the Lamb, and Communion at His table)

The Passover Lamb must be killed on the fourteenth day of Abib between the two evenings. (Numbers 28:16)
The Passover Lamb must be eaten on the night of the fifteenth of Abib.(Exodus 12:8-11)
Those who are unclean from a dead body or away on a journey (stranded, detained, or imprisoned) must kill the Passover Lamb in the Second Moon. (Numbers 9:10-11)
The Passover in the Second Moon must be held according to all its ordinances. (Numbers 9:11-12)
The silver trumpets must be sounded at Feast times, New Moons, and also in times of tribulation, to call the congregation together. (Numbers 10:2, 9-10)
All animals to be sacrificed must be at least eight days old. (Leviticus 22:27)
All animals to be sacrificed must be without blemish. (Leviticus 22:21)
All offerings must be salted. (Leviticus 2:13) y
The Law of the burnt offering. (Leviticus 1:2-17)
The Law of the sin offering. (Leviticus 6:25-30)
The Law of the trespass offering. (Leviticus 7:1-2, 7)
The Law of the peace offering. (Leviticus 3:1-17)
The Law of the grain offering. (Leviticus 2:1-16)

(Jesus fulfilled each of the offerings)

If the congregation sins ignorantly, a sin offering must be brought. (Leviticus 4:13-21)
If a person sins ignorantly, a sin offering must be brought when he learns of his sin. (Leviticus 4:27-35)
If a person is in doubt as to whether he has sinned in regard to any of the holy things, a suspensive guilt offering must be brought. (Leviticus 5:15-19) y
A sin offering must be brought for stealing, swearing falsely, and sins of a like nature. (Leviticus 6:1-7)
The sin offering must be according to one's means. (Leviticus 5:7-13)

(It doesn't matter who you are, what youve done, or your monetary status, all people can come to Christ)

We must confess our sins to Yahweh, repent for them, and be converted to the keeping of Yahweh's Laws. (Numbers 5:6-7)
A man who has an abnormal discharge must bring a sacrifice. (Leviticus 15:13-15)
A woman who has an abnormal discharge must bring a sacrifice. (Leviticus 15:28-30)
A woman must bring a sacrifice after childbirth. (Leviticus 12:6-8)
A leper must bring a sacrifice after he has been cleansed. (Leviticus 14:1-32)
The First Tithe is holy, and belongs to Yahweh. (Leviticus 27:30-33)
The firstborn of clean animals are holy and belong to Yahweh. (Exodus 13:2)
The firstborn sons belong to Yahweh, but may be redeemed. (Exodus 34:19-20)
The firstling of a donkey must be redeemed. (Exodus 34:20)
If the firstling of a donkey is not redeemed, its neck must be broken. (Exodus 13:13)
All tithes and offerings must be brought to the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Deuteronomy 12:5-6)
The sanctuary of Yahweh is the only place Yahweh has chosen to receive tithes, sacrifices, and offerings. (Deuteronomy 12:13-14, 26)
The blood of the sacrifices must be poured out on the altar of Yahweh for our atonement. (Deuteronomy 12:27)
Sanctified animals which have become blemished must be redeemed. (Deuteronomy 15:19-22)
Any animal exchanged for an offering is also holy. (Leviticus 27:10, 33)
The priests are to eat the meat of the consecrated offerings. (Exodus 29:33)
The priests are to eat the remainder of the grain offering. (Leviticus 10:12-13)
Consecrated meat of an offering which becomes ritually unclean must be burned. (Leviticus 7:19)
Consecrated meat of an offering not eaten within its appointed time must be burned. (Leviticus 7:17)

(If you think I am spiritualizing the Law scriptures too much, think of the hundreds of other biblical verses and stories that have abstract moral principles that must be spiritualized in order to make sense;)

The Great Shepherd, the Lion of Judah, the Bride of the Lamb, the circumcision of the heart, the washing of our feet, the light unto our path, The tree of life, the river of Life, the Temple of His body, the Pearl of great price, the lost coin, the etc. etc., all these must be interpreted as spiritual realities yet given to us with literal descriptions of physical reality (Similes and types).

Of course all these things must agree with all scripture and be in context, but don’t we read Isaiah 53 both literally 'and' spiritually;
For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground… All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way… Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers…

How about John's statement concerning Jesus;
The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

How about Jesus statement concerning Himself;
I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh." Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?"53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. (John 6)

Obviously the New Covenant was one of Spirit, one which would be in our heart;
"I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.34 They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me (Jeremiah 31)

Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?" But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble? What then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before? It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. But there are some of you who do not believe. (John 6:60-64)

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Jesus is said to have said "and who so ever keep my commandments"... are certainly not mine since I do not what I say either.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 am

Old Testament Laws of the Priesthood and the Sanctuary below, alongside some verses that seem to be New Covenant equivalants;

20. Build the Holy sanctuary of Yahweh. (Exodus 25:8-9)
I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church.
(Matthew 16:18)
We heard Him say, 'I will destroy this temple made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands. (Mark 14: 58)
Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.
(1 Thessalonians 5:11)
(I hope this is what we are doing, building up His body, living stones, of which He is the chief cornerstone)

21. We must reverence Yahweh in the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Leviticus 19:30)
But He was speaking of the temple of His body. John 2:21
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts.
(Romans 6:12)
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-21

22. Guard the sanctuary of Yahweh at all times. (Numbers 18:2-4)
Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you. (2 Timothy 1:14)
Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. (Acts 20:28)

23. The priests and Levites shall do their appointed work in the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Numbers 18:23, 6-7)
And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ. (Eph 4:11-12)

24. The priests must wash their hands and feet. (Exodus 30:17-21)
If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. (John 13:14-15)
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. (2 Corinthians 7:1)
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:8)

25. The priests must light the seven lamp lampstand. (Exodus 27:20-21)
There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. (John 1:7-9)
"No one, after lighting a lamp, puts it away in a cellar nor under a basket, but on the lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light. (Luke 11:33-35)

26. The priests must bless the people with the Name of Yahweh. (Numbers 6:23-27)
I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are. (John 17:11)
So that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Thessalonians 1:12)

27. The priests must set the showbread and frankincense before the ark. (Exodus 25:30)
And the temple of God which is in heaven was opened; and the ark of His covenant appeared in His temple, and there were flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder and an earthquake and a great hailstorm. (Rev.11:19)
(I am still not sure what frankincense is, and I am not sure if we will have it in heaven, but I do know we will have the ark of His covenant in heaven, and I'm sure His covenant will still be in the ark, otherwise it wouldn't be the ark of His covenant)

28. The priests must burn the incense on the golden altar in the morning and between the evenings.
(Exodus 30:7-8)
When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.9 And they sang a new song, saying,"Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.10 "You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth." (Rev.5:8)
Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a golden censer; and much incense was given to him, so that he might add it to the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar which was before the throne.4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel's hand.
(Rev.8:3-4)

29. The priests must keep the fire burning on the altar continuously. (Leviticus 6:12-13)
If therefore your whole body is full of light, with no dark part in it, it will be wholly illumined, as when the lamp illumines you with its rays." (Luke 11:34-36) (There are many verses about being light, and also about continuously offering praise, and always being ready, etc.)

30. The priests must remove the ashes from the altar daily. (Leviticus 6:10-11)
Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins (Hebrews 10:11) (Here's something we do not have to do ourselves, it is Christ who cleanses us daily. Before, it was us that had to clean up, now Christs' sacrifice has forever been made for us, and now cleanses 'us' daily)
How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Hebrews 9:14)
Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
(Hebrews 10:22)

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:38 am

31. The priests must keep the ritually unclean out of the inner court of the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Numbers 5:2-3)
I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one. (1 Corinthians 5:9-11)
If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame. Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother. (2 Thessalonians 3:14-15)
(Although I think many references to 'the unclean' are referring to unclean habits, and sin that we would allow in our heart and minds, there are many admonishments to keep our friendships and fellowship holy also)

32. The priests must be regarded as holy. (Leviticus 21:8)
The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him… Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. (Romans 14:3-10)
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

33. The priests must dress in special priestly garments. (Exodus 28:2-43)
But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, and he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless. (Matthew 22:11-12)
For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
(Galatians 3:27)
He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life. (Revelation 3:5)

34. The priests must bear the responsibility for the sanctuary of Yahweh. (Numbers 18:1, 5)
We have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. (Hebrews 8:1-2) (As Jesus is responsible for His body we to are servants with responsibility)
And the Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. (Luke 12:42-43)
Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Corinthians 3:5-6)

35. The priests must prepare the holy anointing oil according to its formula. (Exodus 30:23-33)
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh--13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (Romans 8:2-12)
He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5)
For the gospel has for this purpose been preached even to those who are dead, that though they are judged in the flesh as men, they may live in the spirit according to the will of God. (1 Peter 4:6)

36. The priests must perform their services at the sanctuary of Yahweh at the appointed time. (Deuteronomy 18:6-8)
So Jesus said to them, "My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune.
(John 7:6)
Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come. (Mark 13:33)
For He says, "At the acceptable time I listened to you, And on the day of salvation I helped you." Behold, now is "the acceptable time," behold, now is "the day of salvation"
(2 Corinthians 6:6)

37. The priests may become ritually unclean due to certain close relatives.
(Leviticus 21:1-4)
(There may other verses related to this, but I am sure the point is that special time and grace be reserved for family matters, obligations and burials.
But if any widow has children or grandchildren, they must first learn to practice piety in regard to their own family and to make some return to their parents; for this is acceptable in the sight of God. (1 Timothy 5:4)

38. The High Priest may marry only a virgin. (Leviticus 21:13-14)
(At first this didn’t seem to apply to Jesus because he never married, but then I thought; He is going to have a wedding);
Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. (Matthew 25:1)
For I am jealous for you with a Godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin. (2 Corinthians 11:2)

Doesn't this make Numbers, Leviticus and Exodus even more amazing.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am

(I skipped the Nazirite Laws for now because these were oaths, or laws that one obliged voluntarily. Much could be said about these laws that we obey or do voluntarily, since this would also apply to the New Covenant, but I will save this for another time)

"I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean" (Romans 14:14)

This verse is 'usually' interpreted to mean that a 'mature' Christian has license to do anything they want, and those of weak faith are 'worried' about breaking the laws. I also have used this thinking to justify my freedom to drink wine and listen to secular music. Never the less the principle of discernment and wisdom should not be fleeting when it comes to unhealthy and potentially dangerous misjudgments about our own behavior. Paul speaks of the harm and hypocrisy done when judging a brother. Yet Paul is not implying that we should have no discernment of good and evil whatsoever, for Paul repeatedly commends the Churches to live Godly and moral lives and Paul does so by making dozens of references to the Law. We were saved for this very purpose 'to be Holy and set apart' and that we should 'learn to discern good from evil'. What better place is there to learn discernment than from the Bible, all of it.
'But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil' (Hebrews 5:14)

Although we know we are cleansed, and kept clean by His blood it is interesting that John uses a Levitical term to describe something at the consummation of his revelation; And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb…and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Revelation 21:23-27)

Notes on laws regarding Ritual Purity;
Uncleanness had four general distinctions; ritual, social, moral, and food uncleanness.
Uncleanness in the first three distinctions generally referred to people and the fourth food (And in some instances land). Generally the Priest could reverse the uncleanness of 'people' and 'health' complications with purification rituals, inspection and pronouncement, but food however was deemed unalterable, food was in a class of its own.
The Laws of clean and unclean food appear to be reflected in the first commandment given to man in the Garden of Eden when God said; 'of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat'. In fact, food laws were very similar to the G of E since I am sure that the Israelites did not really know 'why' God commanded abstaining from certain foods. Food laws were not like other laws that had obvious moral benefits; thus it seemed that obeying the food laws came primarily 'because God said so'. The command that we shall not eat of a certain food was given prior to the giving of the 'Law', but prior to that God had declared all things good, so it has 'always' been a matter of symbolic separateness, that symbolizes the called out people of God in contrast with the people (and land) of the unbelieving world.
To know what God commands, and to do it, even when we do not understand His reasons or purpose is a principle of the knowledge of good and evil.
I think the purpose of the food laws were ritual with health benefits that speak symbolically of things which we could not foresee.

Just because we are free from the law does not mean sin has disappeared, or become non-existent.
Previously the letter of the Law taught us to discern good from evil, now the Holy Spirit has been given to us to discern good from evil. Yet many are not exercising the Spirit within them, and choose instead to walk in the flesh.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil. (Romans 16:19)
And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment,10 so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ;11 having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:9-11)

The New Covenant declares that we are a Kingdom of priests, yet few act like it. The priest was to study the law in order to discern the clean from the unclean, the Holy from the ordinary, instead many Christians cannot discern good from evil and are offering things to their own temple and desires rather than knowing what God desires.
A Christian priest needs to study Christ, who is His Word, in order to know how and what to serve in Gods temple, which is our body.

Just as a priest could go into an unclean home and visit a leper, so also a Christian is a priest that is purified by blood as was the Levite. His blood also covered all our sins, yet none of this makes sin not sin.
Jesus goes far and above just removing the uncleanness from lepers, menstruating women and dead people, Jesus removes the uncleanness from everyone He touched. Jesus did not do so in total 'opposition' to the Law, rather He did so while referring to and fulfilling the Law, as witnessed by his constant references to Moses and ceremonial words such as cleansed and cleaning. Jesus did not 'break' the Law by touching lepers, menstrating women or dead people, because they were made clean when he touched them. Neither was He made unclean by sinners because he healed them also.

(Other New Testament things are symbolic of the food laws; Jesus is our food, and the Word our bread of life, etc.
We still have an obligation not to eat foods strangled or offered to idols, as we are to refrain from sex immorality)

Ritual Purity Laws;
96. Anyone who touches or eats the carcass of an unclean animal becomes ritually unclean. (Leviticus 11)
(Many of these animals carry disease-causing organisms. Eating undercooked flesh of pigs, bears, rabbits, dogs and horses can transmit tularemia and trichinosis to humans [see Control of Communicable Diseases Manual, Benenson, 1995]. All shellfish are considered unclean. Crayfish and lobsters are scavengers that feed on dead organisms that can transmit disease. Filter-feeding clams and oysters concentrate viruses that cause hepatitis and paralytic or neurotoxic shellfish poisoning [ibid.]. Crawling things and a host of others on the Biblically unclean list carry numerous health warnings that we now understand as disease carrying bacteria in foods. Should Christians be the only ones that do not consider these as warnings that have value?

97. Anyone who touches or eats the carcass of a clean animal that dies of itself, or is torn by wild animals, becomes ritually unclean. (Leviticus 11:29-31)
98. Any article that has come in contact with a ritually unclean object becomes ritually unclean. (Leviticus 11:31-38)
(Not only is it amazing that God prescribed Laws that would prevent the spread of bacteria and disease 3000 years before Louis Pasteur would encourage doctors to sanitize their hands and tools before operating, but it is also amazing that most people keep these laws today not knowing that they were written in the Bible. Although civilization did not begin with the many sanitary principles contained in the Law, the world has now begun to adapt and keep all these sanitary Laws since the discovery of bacteria, microbes and microscopes. Again I am not saying we must keep the Law to be saved, but consider that contagious diseases have killed over three hundred million people in the 20th century alone [Small Pox 300 million, Spanish flu 50-100 million, Typhus 3 million, Measles 1 million, etc.]. The Jews had accepted that 'spreading' diseases should all be quarantined, yet Christianity never did stop to think and consider that maybe the quarantine laws had some value and meaning, yet think how many flu virus', diseases and deaths may have been avoided simply by washing hands. The early Church wanted to make a distinction between Christianity and Judaism, and arguments were made discouraging observance of the Sabbath, Holy days and as well; biblical health Laws. Christians called these practices burdens, intended only for Jews, and claimed that Jesus had 'nailed these regulations to the cross' and wrote them all off as no longer relevant. The Laws regarding the unclean make perfect sense to us now; The most deadly contagious diseases were skin diseases and, or had symptoms identified by discoloration or growth on the skin. Dead animals, human corpses, blood, body fluids and waste are all considered to be the quickest way to transfer disease among humans. And objects that have been contaminated such as seats, clothing, homes, hair and hands are also now known as carriers and must all be washed, laundered, burned, buried or avoided just as the Bible had described)

99. Menstruous women are ritually unclean. (Leviticus 15:19-24)
100. Women after childbirth are ritually unclean. (Leviticus 12:2)
People sometimes object at what they perceive as impolite attitudes towards menstruating women or new mothers, yet it is simply shallow thinking that would think that a new mother would be anything other than celebrated and joyous. The laws also gave peace and rest to those burdened by childbirth, menstrual cycles or sickness. A person was simply given a pass from work, or from having to participate in social and religious services. This was a great relief to a woman having a menstrual cycle.

101. Anyone with a spreading skin disease is ritually unclean.
(Leviticus 13:2-46)
And especially those who indulge the flesh in its corrupt desires and despise authority. Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile angelic majesties (2 Peter 2:10)
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. (1John 2:16)

102. Any clothing contaminated with a spreading disease is ritually unclean.
(Leviticus 13:47-59)
Save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh. (Jude 1:23)

103. A house contaminated by a spreading disease is ritually unclean. (Leviticus 14:34-57)
(Biblical health instructions even applied to dwellings—mold or fungal growth had to be scraped off, or a house would be quarantined or demolished; 'Then the priest shall come out of the house, to the doorway, and quarantine the house for seven days.39 The priest shall return on the seventh day and make an inspection. If the mark has indeed spread in the walls of the house,40 then the priest shall order them to tear out the stones with the mark in them and throw them away at an unclean place outside the city'... 'Moreover, whoever goes into the house during the time that he has quarantined it, becomes unclean until evening.47 Likewise, whoever lies down in the house shall wash his clothes, and whoever eats in the house shall wash his clothes' [Lev.14:38-40, 46-47] It is interesting that 'most' bacteria, including leprae, will die off after a few days, yet they did not know about bacteria 3000 years ago)

104. A man having an abnormal discharge is ritually unclean. (Leviticus 15:2-15)
105. Anyone or anything coming into contact with semen becomes ritually unclean. (Leviticus 15:16-18)
106. A woman with an abnormal discharge is ritually unclean. (Leviticus 15:19, 25-28)
Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more.2 For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;4 that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,5 not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God;... 7 For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification.8 So, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit to you. (1Thessalonians 4:1-8)

107. A human corpse and anyone who comes near it is ritually unclean. (Numbers 19:11-16)
The bacterial considerations are now well known, but the social relief is not considered when this law is misinterpreted as being impolite to mourning families.
A deceased relative was never considered an 'outcast', and neither were their relatives. They were relieved of having to participate in social or religious obligations, in fact today Bereavement policy is a common job benefit in most areas.

108. The purification water purifies the ritually unclean. (Numbers 19:2-22)
Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Hebrews 10:22)

109. Those ritually unclean must purify at the appointed time by laundering their clothes and immersing in water. (Leviticus 15:27)
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. (Rev. 22:14)

110. Those ritually unclean of a spreading skin disease must follow the specified purification procedure.
(Leviticus 14:2-32)
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. (Matthew 16:24)
If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. (John 12:26)
These are the ones who have not been defiled with women, for they have kept themselves chaste. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These have been purchased from among men as first fruits to God and to the Lamb. (Revelation 14:4)
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us.7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you' (2 Thessalonians 3:6-7)

112. Those unclean of a spreading skin disease must shave off all their hair. (Leviticus 14:9)
But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
(1 Corinthians 11:28)
Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test? (2 Corinthians 13:5)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

113. Those unclean of a spreading skin disease must be easily distinguishable. (Leviticus 13:45)
And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment,10 so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; (Philippians 1:9)
If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame. (2 Thessalonians 3:14)

114. The ashes of the red heifer are to be used in ritual purification. (Numbers 19:2-9)
(The red heifer had some unique ceremony attached to it; besides being a rare animal, it must never had been yoked, this sacrifice was only once a year, slain outside the camp, the blood sprinkled toward the tabernacle and veil, burned with hyssop, cedarwood and scarlet, ashes gathered and mixed with water and kept outside the camp, later on it seems that the ashes were taken throughout the surrounding cities.
All these things could be seen in Christ; who was unlike other men, offered Himself untied [or willingly], sacrificed once, outside the camp, with faith [hyssop], His body anointed, covered and buried outside the camp, the mixing of the ashes and water remind us of the call to repent [ashes] and be baptized [water] Acts 2:38, later on the Gospel [like the Heifer ash mixture] is taken to cities all around Jerusalem and to the whole world [Matt 9:35, Luke 24:47, Acts 8:25, 40]. Not only these things but the when the water mixture was used to cleanse a person in verse 12 it prescribes that it be applied on the third day which could be said to combine the ingredients of sacrifice, blood [scarlet], repentance, baptism and faith with the necessity of the resurrection. The 7 days may refer to a person's time of sanctification. The Priest (Presumably the high priest) was made unclean through this process and thus he himself 'became sin for us', 2 Corinthians 5:21.

JohnDB70X7

Post by JohnDB70X7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Personally, I understand the Bible to have already laid out a formula for worship, study, service, fellowship, teaching, witnessing... rather than the deliberately Catholic model nearly all forms of Christendom follows.

The enemy had a two prong approach how to keep believers off track and fighting and debating...

1. Keep the Jews as far from it as possible till plan "B" took effect

2. Have pagan gentiles "legalize" the faith and then try to reinvent it in accord with its own pagan ideals and that of the pagans conquered in the future.

Enter SUN day worship in accord with the SUN worshipper Emperor Constantine who legalized what no mere mortal man or mortal government has the clout or the audacity to "legalize." And you have the early forms of Roman Catholicism (the Roman Catholic Empire)... and Protestants did not reform anywhere near enough... to our Hebrew roots.

Instead... we have a Religion Jews would not touch with a ten foot pole... A Christianity devoid of its Hebrew roots with a Jewish Savior whose Jewishness is overlooked...

Modern believers on this side of the 1500 + years of reinventing the wheel as far as Christianity is concerned... haven't a clue about the topic title here. How could they? The unbiblical division between clergy and laity has "professional Christians" playing Church every week in accord with the whims of a very spiritually malnourished spoon fed bleacher Christians in the pews.

John 6:29 (KJV)
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Believing in Jesus fulfills the Law of Moses and exempts us from its condemnation of our sins by the imputed righteousness of the Lamb of God.

Galatians 3:24-25 (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

We are under Christ's Law, and the brunt of that is we are a kingdom of priests (yes every one of us) using out spiritual gifts and bonded servitude to spread the Gospel to every one in every generation and to defend the truth.

John 3:16-18 (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1 John 2:2 (KJV)
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Faith is the key that unlocks the vault. Without it, damnation's cruelest tormentor will be the realization that all hell could have been spared had they simply believed... thus keeping the commandments as though they were as righteous as Jesus (his imputed righteousness to our accounts).

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”