Is The Holy Spirit God's Grace?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Theophilus

Is The Holy Spirit God's Grace?

Post by Theophilus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Is it proper to think of the Holy Spirit as God's grace? The Holy Spirit is our seal or ernest until our redemption and is how we are in Christ. The concept of God's grace in our lives seems to be His very presence. Without Him, there is no life.

The Greek word charismata is translated as gift of grace, and that is a gift from the Spirit. Because the "grace" is the power of the Spirit, I'm inclined to think of gift of grace as the gift of the power of God or the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Luke 11:13
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Romans 12:6
We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to hisfaith.

steve7150

Re: Is The Holy Spirit God's Grace?

Post by steve7150 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:27 am

Is it proper to think of the Holy Spirit as God's grace? The Holy Spirit is our seal or ernest until our redemption and is how we are in Christ. The concept of God's grace in our lives seems to be His very presence. Without Him, there is no life.

I think the Holy Spirit is a very big part of grace but i think we also have ministering angels who can assist us which is part of God's grace as well as other expressions of unmerited favor from God which can change outward circumstances around us. The Holy Spirit is called our "Comforter" or "Councelor" but not actually called "grace".

Theophilus

Post by Theophilus » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:41 am

That's a good point about ministering angels being part of God's grace.

Focusing on unmerited favor, that is something that is given to you that you do not have a right to. In the context of our ultimate salvation or redemption, the something that is given to us is the Spirit of Christ. At the center of the grace target, it seems like we are looking at the Holy Spirit (our deposit), in Christ, in the Father.

Zechariah 12:10 "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit [a] of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

Hebrews 10:29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Also, it may be possible that the very definition of grace is identified with God himself:

Exodus 34:6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:15 pm

The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity, part of God and Jesus equally. I can't say that I've had a great deal of experience with the Holy Spirity at this time, though I'm completely certain of the existence of the Trinity. I have felt the tug on my heart to do that which is before me at times, usually something I would otherwise discount or ignore or avoid altogether. I'm not real sure if these instances are actually God, The Holy Spirit or just my realizing the right thing is the right thing and what I am suppose to do because God's will is for us to love one another.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”