Where do we go when we die??

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
philman

Where do we go when we die??

Post by philman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Is there a forum topic or posts that address whether those who die immediately go to heaven or hell/punishment.

steve

Re: Where do we go when we die??

Post by steve » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 pm

I am not sure, but you have just started one that can be used for that purpose.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:55 pm

philman wrote:Is there a forum topic or posts that address whether those who die immediately go to heaven or hell/punishment.

I think Paul believed he would be with Christ in heaven. The people who quote scripture to support soul sleep usually quote the OT but i think Christ's resurrection changed this.
As far as unbelievers go i think they go to "hades" or the grave until the resurrection.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:08 am

My understanding is that when you're dead, you're dead, and you'll stay dead unless Christ raises you to life (and He will).

Paul wrote:
What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” 1 Corinthians 15:32 ESV
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:12 pm

1Co 15:51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

I never understood why, if we were floating around in heaven as spirits after death, and doing nothing but worshiping God, why go back to a resurrected body and come back to earth? I must concur with Paidion that we sleep until the resurrection - indeed is that not what resurrection means - to be raised from the dead - not just your soul or whatever popped back into a resurrected body?

I think God had an angel or something impersonate Samuel to scare some sense into Saul. As for near-death experiences being proof of going to heaven at death, there seems to be an explanation of that in the accepted knowledge that each cell of the body has memory. Jepne
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”