Jesus is Lord Translator Note

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Theophilus

Jesus is Lord Translator Note

Post by Theophilus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:09 pm

While reading through Romans 10 in the NET Bible, http://net.bible.org/, I came across the translator note below that suggests Jesus is "the Lord", that is, Yahweh.

I was wondering what other people thought about that. In discussions with other believers, I've heard some think the Trinity is Yahweh, some think the Father is Yahweh, and in the translator note below Jesus is Yahweh. Maybe when you say Jesus is Yahweh it may mean He is the same essence as Yahweh.

When I see LORD in the OT, I think YHWH. But when I see Lord in the NT, I don't automatically think YHWH. I think the Lordship of Christ, like a master or owner, who is also God.

Romans 10:9 because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord 224 and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

NET Bible Translator Note:
224 tn Or “the Lord.” The Greek construction, along with the quotation from Joel 2:32 in v. 13 (in which the same “Lord” seems to be in view) suggests that κύριον (kurion) is to be taken as “the Lord,” that is, Yahweh. Cf. D. B. Wallace, “The Semantics and Exegetical Significance of the Object-Complement Construction in the New Testament,” GTJ 6 (1985): 91-112.

Romans 10:13 For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. 228

Joel 2:32 It will so happen that
everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be delivered. 83
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem 84 there will be those who survive, 85
just as the LORD has promised;
the remnant 86 will be those whom the LORD will call.

Priestly1

Re: Jesus is Lord Translator Note

Post by Priestly1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:18 pm

It has always been clear to me from the usage of Kyrios in this text that Paul is saying YAHVEH. He is referencing Isaiah in a fashon known as a Targum. All knees shall bend, and all shall confess that Jesus (Yah-shua aka Yah the Savior) is Yahveh Himself, to the glorification of the Father (who is unseen). i think where the context, usage and hebraisms denote it, that YHVH should bbe placed into the English Text of the NT.....as Kyrios is the Greek for Adonay/YHVH.

Ken

RickC

Re: Jesus is Lord Translator Note

Post by RickC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:13 am

Greetings -

I've been studying stuff related to this thread for several years. (Deep, isn't it)?

The NET translation note gives what I'll call a "standard definition". Namely, that Jesus is addressed as the "Lord" of the OT. I wouldn't say this definition is "wrong" - but it seems incomplete, doesn't it?

At any rate, in these studies of mine, I've come across the works of Larry Hurtado, Alan Segal, Margaret Barker, and Michael Heiser.

Heiser recently did a video series on:
"How the New Testament Writers
Communicated OT Theology
with a Focus on Jesus"

It's a 4 part series.
Parts 1 & 4 are most relevant to this thread.
(Part 3 is about the Virgin Conception).
I can't recall offhand what Part 3 is about...you may want to watch it as well.
Though Part 1 would be recommended first -
I'll go ahead and link to Part 4 - Two Powers in Heaven.

To comment on what Heiser presents (briefly, for discussion) -
He speaks about "two Yahwehs" as revealed in both the OT and Intertestamental Period (2nd Temple Era Judaism). Heiser builds upon [the] Elohim from Genesis onward, spiraling through the OT and Intertestamental Lit., giving many examples of where the angel of the Lord is addressed AS "the Lord". Thus, "two Yahwehs" and/or two persons in the godhead. (Heiser is trinitarian).

I highly recommend these talks!!!
(Esp. 1 & 4).
I plan to go through them again, and take notes.

Sorry about the delay in replying...my last computer "fried"...had to get a new one!
Take care! :)

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”