God and His Son

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dean198

Re: God and His Son

Post by dean198 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 am

Paidion wrote: The difference in the Greek rests in the presence of absence of two Greek letters. This is how those two letters appeared in early manuscripts:

ImageImage

The following two letters appear in all manuscripts of I Timothy 3:16, and these two placed together as follows, form a word which means "which" or "who" or in some contexts "he":

ImageImage

Put all four together, and you get "theos", the Greek word for "God":

ImageImageImageImage
Hello Paidion. I do believe you've inadvertently misunderstood the argument. Words like Jesus and God were contracted in the Greek texts (at first this was done with divine names, but later with other names like David), so that the four letter theos ('God') was written as the two letter ths. But the theta (the 'th') only differs from the omicron by having the bar through the middle, and so the difference between 'God' and 'who' isn't between four letters and two, but between two two-letter words, one with a bar through the middle, one without. I think it was the Alexandrinus which was the subject of much controversy (pardon the pun) as to whether the bar was in the original or added later. Either way, the bar has since disappeared.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:13 am

You are right, Dean. I knew that and had often looked at it in my trancript of papyrus 66. When I made that post, I think I had a senior moment.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Arj

Post by Arj » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:04 pm

So does this mean should i pray to jesus for everything or to the father?

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”