Jesus is God

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dwight92070

Re: Jesus is God

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:34 am

Paidion wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 pm
Dwight you wrote:Dwight - I think the 66-book Bible was existent and accepted long before the words "Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox" were, so why call it any of these? As for the "Catholic" and the "Orthodox" Bibles - the very fact that you have to call it a name that is a denomination vs. just the Bible or the word of God, implies that something has been added (or subtracted), to fit that particular denomination, so I reject them, just on that basis alone.
How do you know the 66 books of the Protestant Bible are the correct ones?

Dwight - The 66 books of the Bible are widely claimed to be inspired, written either by Prophets or inspired people in the Old Testament, and Apostles or close associates in the New Testament. and therefore, they are part of the canon of Scripture.

The Catholic Bible contains these 66 books as well as the following ones: Baruch, Tobit, Ecclesiasticus, and Wisdom of Solomon.

Dwight - Online information tells me that there are 7 additional books in the "Catholic" Bible, not just 4. This totals 73 books.

Dwight - Virtually no one has claimed that any of the apocryphal books are inspired, or part of the canon of Scripture. None were written by Prophets or inspired people. Why should any non-inspired books be part of our Bible? They might be edifying to read, but they are not inspired.

The Orthodox Bible contains all the books of the Catholic Bible plus Psalm 151 and 3 Maccabees.

Dwight - The same truth applies here. These books are not inspired, and therefore not part of scripture.

These books have not been "added to fit that particular denomination": they have been in existence as long or longer than the 66 books of the Protestant Bible.

Dwight - This is incorrect. The Septuagint was a translation from Hebrew to Greek at around 285 B.C. I don't believe any of the apocryphal books, (many of which were added to the Septuagint, which violated the Septuagint authors warning of a curse on anyone who added to or subtracted from it) existed before the 39 books of the Old Testament. Some may think they existed before that - like the book of Enoch, for example, who was the seventh generation after Adam, but the REAL Enoch did not write that book - It was written by someone who claimed to be Enoch, that is, an impostor, which gives you an idea of how little that book can be trusted. I believe some of them existed before the 27 books of the New Testament and some came later. There were other books written who claimed a famous Christian from the Bible, or from history, wrote them, such as Barnabas, Peter, Mary Magdalene, etc., very likely also written by impostors.

So why have you chosen to accept only the 66 books of the Protestant Bible?

Dwight - Because they were written by Prophets or inspired people and Apostles and close associates, and many have acknowledged their inspiration and placement in the canon of Scripture. Also Jesus and the New Testament authors quoted from the 39 books of the Old Testament numerous times, but virtually never quoted from the other books - with one exception - Jude quoted from Enoch.

On what basis do you reject the others?

Dwight - Because the were not written by Prophets or Apostles and they do not claim to be inspired. Virtually no one has claimed that they belong in the canon. Also, I believe only one New Testament writer, Jude, ever even quoted from them, not saying that they were inspired, but offering information that may be edifying. Jesus never quoted from them, nor did Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, the author of Hebrews, or James.

Do they not "fit" your particular denomination?

Dwight - I am not part of a denomination. I am a Christian who accepts the inspired word of God, the Bible, i.e. the 66 books, all of which have been affirmed as being written by Prophets or other inspired people, and Apostles and their close associates.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Dwight, I obtained my information by searching "Catholic Bible" and "Orthodox Bible" on the internet. Whether or not there are more or fewer books in these Bibles than what I stated is irrelevant.

The point is that there are three different Bibles: the Protestant Bible, the Catholic Bible, and the Orthodox Bible, each differing in content from the other two. So how do you know that it is only the Protestant Bible that is the "fully inspired word of God"? I am sure that there are Catholic Christians who believe the same about their Bible, and Orthodox Christians who believe the same about theirs.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 pm

I think I answered that in some detail. What part of my answer did you not understand? The added books were not written by the necessary persons, with the necessary credentials and authority to call them part of the canon of Scripture. They may be interesting, but there is no reason to put them on the same level as the 66 books.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am

Why do you call them added books? Just because they are not in the Protestant Bible?
Those who use the Orthodox Bible would call them subtracted books—subtracted from the Protestant Bible.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:05 pm

Here's where I end my posts on this particular topic, i.e. the "different" Bibles. I've explained my position more than once, and you continue to want to argue against it, which is your prerogative, but it's accomplishing nothing and leading nowhere. I've asked you before, "Where are you going with this?", and you just ignore my question and continue to argue. We disagree, okay? Why can't you leave it at that? Why are you ignoring my request to get back on the topic, "Jesus is God"?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 am

Go back to it. No one is preventing you.
But I think it is futile, for the apostle Paul made it clear that there is ONE God, and that God is the Father, and that Jesus is someone other than God, John wrote that Jesus is the only-begotten son of God.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

1Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
1Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
Paidion

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:34 pm

The scribes and the Pharisees were actually correct in Luke 5:21 - "Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" Obviously, we all can forgive someone who has sinned against us, but only God can forgive sins against Him. But Jesus doesn't hesitate to do that which only God can do. Yet another piece of evidence that Jesus is God. Even the scribes and Pharisees knew exactly what He was saying when He forgave the paralytic, because they accused Him of blasphemy. If He was not God, then that would be blasphemy.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:59 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:34 pm
The scribes and the Pharisees were actually correct in Luke 5:21 - "Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" Obviously, we all can forgive someone who has sinned against us, but only God can forgive sins against Him. But Jesus doesn't hesitate to do that which only God can do. Yet another piece of evidence that Jesus is God. Even the scribes and Pharisees knew exactly what He was saying when He forgave the paralytic, because they accused Him of blasphemy. If He was not God, then that would be blasphemy.
You keep using the pharisees to prove your point - I don't think they're a wise arbiter of truth. They were almost ALWAYS wrong about Jesus. Do you not find it at least possible that they were wrong to assume it was blasphemous? That someone could forgive sins in the name of the Father or with His authority? No one here doubts Jesus' authority to forgive sins or do the other things he was granted to do - we differ only in whether that was inherent to who he was in himself or whether he was doing that by the power of the spirit, and in the name of and by the authority given to him by the Father.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:34 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:59 am
dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:34 pm
You keep using the pharisees to prove your point - I don't think they're a wise arbiter of truth. They were almost ALWAYS wrong about Jesus. Do you not find it at least possible that they were wrong to assume it was blasphemous? That someone could forgive sins in the name of the Father or with His authority? No one here doubts Jesus' authority to forgive sins or do the other things he was granted to do - we differ only in whether that was inherent to who he was in himself or whether he was doing that by the power of the spirit, and in the name of and by the authority given to him by the Father.
Dwight- Ungodly people often speak the truth (along with a whole bunch of falsehoods), even though their hearts are not right before God. When they do, I don't see a problem with affirming that truth, even though I am not affirming them.

Dwight - I know that there are different interpretations of John 20:23, where Jesus seems to be giving His disciples the authority to forgive sins or to not forgive them. One interpretation is that in their preaching of the gospel, whenever anyone repented of their sins and accepted Jesus as their Lord, the apostles (and those of us who preach today) had the authority to declare that their sins were forgiven. But who actually forgave them of their sins, the disciples, or God? Obviously, it was God. On the other hand, if they rejected the gospel, the apostles (and we)had the authority to declare that their sins were not forgiven. I tend to accept this interpretation, but there are a couple of others.

Dwight- The Roman Catholics believe that their priests have the authority to forgive sins, on behalf of God, because their priests (so they say) are successors to the first Pope, Peter. There is no Biblical evidence for that belief.

Dwight - Some believe that Jesus was telling the apostles that they had the authority to absolve anyone who sinned against them personally, like Jesus on the cross, or Stephen, while he was being stoned. Again, it is GOD who is doing the forgiving.

Dwight - My conclusion for now, unless I can be shown otherwise, is that, as the scribes and Pharisees said - only God can forgive sins.

Dwight - Darin, you have said it many times, that Jesus is God's "representative", empowered by God Spirit's and given God's authority, but He is not God. But how is it that God's "representative" could receive EQUAL worship that is given to the Father? Revelation 5 clearly shows us that the Lamb, who is Jesus, receives the same worship, saying, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing". And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever." And the four living creatures kept saying , "Amen." And the elders fell down and worshiped. If Jesus was God's "representative", why wouldn't He also be falling down on His knees, worshiping the Father, just like all the others who were not God? If Jesus was begotten (and not God), as Paidion says, or a created being (and not God), as many say, then why would He NOT be falling on His knees just like all the others in heaven, and worshiping His Father, who IS God, along with all the others??? No, instead of doing that, He takes His rightful position, along with the Father, and receives the praise and adoration that ONLY belongs to God.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:47 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:34 pm
Dwight - Darin, you have said it many times, that Jesus is God's "representative", empowered by God Spirit's and given God's authority, but He is not God. But how is it that God's "representative" could receive EQUAL worship that is given to the Father? Revelation 5 clearly shows us that the Lamb, who is Jesus, receives the same worship, saying, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing". And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever." And the four living creatures kept saying , "Amen." And the elders fell down and worshiped. If Jesus was God's "representative", why wouldn't He also be falling down on His knees, worshiping the Father, just like all the others who were not God? If Jesus was begotten (and not God), as Paidion says, or a created being (and not God), as many say, then why would He NOT be falling on His knees just like all the others in heaven, and worshiping His Father, who IS God, along with all the others??? No, instead of doing that, He takes His rightful position, along with the Father, and receives the praise and adoration that ONLY belongs to God.
Well, the way I see it is quite simple and is no different really than considering a scenario like Joseph or even Moses in Pharaoh's court. They were at the right hand of their respective Pharaoh and were (as it concerns the masses) just as "royal" as Pharaoh but they were not seen in the court kneeling before their respective Pharaoh. They were seated at their right hands. This is the picture of royalty and I do believe these and other "types" of Christ are revealing in many ways. Incidentally, I do not see Christ as a "mere representative" like the apostles or other chosen ones. He was divine as a prince is royal. He was the son of God and adopted in a sense as a true bearer of the right to rule and of the power afforded the ruler. No less from my perspective. How that power and divinity is administered and how it work exactly isn't revealed and as a "subject" it is really above my pay grade. He deserves honor as divine - that is clear. But, scripture does not equate that necessarily to having divine inherent eternal existential attributes as THE eternal God, the uncreated creator, and so forth.

By the way, that very passage is another good example where God is clearly distinguished from the Lamb. He who was seated on the throne was God. The Lamb was not. It also said he was slain to receive power and honor - that wasn't inherent - it was a result of being slain.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”