Jesus became a life giving spirit?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
21centpilgrim

Jesus became a life giving spirit?

Post by 21centpilgrim » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:21 pm

1 Cor 15:45
Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

I recognize that 'became' is only in 45A and not 45B but it is certainly the implied meaning. So what do we make of Jesus becoming such? was there a time when he was not such a spirit? 1Cor. 15 also directly shows the eternal subordination of Christ to the Father as well- vs27,28
It seems that 1 Cor 15 has much to speak towards ones Christology, no matter what your definition. What are your guy's take aways from this verse and or chapter?
Thanks
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

Homer

Re: Jesus became a life giving spirit?

Post by Homer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:29 am

was there a time when he was not such a spirit?

It would seem to me that the likely occasion of His becoming such was at his resurrection/ascension.

There is much to ponder in chapter 15; in Godet's commentary on 1 Corinthians he devotes over 125 pages to this chapter alone! Interestingly, Godet points out that there is no definite article in the Greek which implies Jesus is not alone in the role of a life giving spirit.

3Resurrections

Post by 3Resurrections » Wed May 01, 2019 10:54 am

What about this possibility?

Instead of Christ becoming a "life-giving Spirit" at His resurrection, why couldn't it be at His death? The language that seems to prove this is found in I Peter 3:18-19 and 4:5-6.

"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which He also went and preached unto the spirits in prison..."

Here is Christ's Spirit actively proclaiming a message while He was in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights. There are many who differ on just who this message was directed to, and when it was given, but at the very least, it shows Jesus actively doing something in the Spirit while His body was in the grave.

The next verses in I Peter 4:5-6 tell us to whom that message was delivered, and why. The crux of Peter's theme in this context was that the "END OF ALL THINGS was AT HAND". The time of the dead to be judged was already "ready" or prepared by then, as well as the punishment of the living, during the soon-to-come Great Tribulation period of AD 66. Even the Gentiles were being warned that they would share in these troubled times, as Peter said.

""Who shall give account to Him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. For, for this cause", (because judgment on living and dead was imminent at that time), "was the gospel preached also unto them that are dead" (To those presently dead as Peter was writing. Christ in the Spirit had already preached to the dead spirits in prison while He was in the grave in AD 33, because the soon-approaching judgment of AD 70's resurrection would be coming up. And why did He do this preaching to the dead? Answer:) "that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but LIVE according to God in the SPIRIT."

Here we have Christ in SPIRIT preaching to the dead while in the grave, so that they could have LIFE in the SPIRIT, even though their flesh was still waiting in the grave for the change of their physical bodies in the resurrection. Even though these spirits of men had lost their lives in the judgment of Noah's flood while on earth, (I Peter 3:20), yet Christ became a LIFE-GIVING SPIRIT to them by the message He preached to them while in the grave. Just in time for them to participate in the AD 70 bodily resurrection. In other words, the occasion of Christ's DEATH is probably when Jesus became a life-giving, quickening Spirit, as found in I Cor. 15:45.

As for the whole I Cor. 15 chapter? LOTS of wonderful doctrine, especially confirming the PHYSICAL resurrection of the bodies of the saints.

#1) There were definitely more "apostles" than just the twelve (I Cor. 15:7).
#2) Paul refutes the "no-more-than-one resurrection" heresy that we are told elsewhere Hymenaeus and Philetus had started (I Cor. 15:12).
#3) The definition of "perishing" (which is the fate of the wicked) includes not ever rising physically out of the grave (I Cor. 15:18).
#4) Christ is defined as the "First-fruits", which is the FIRST resurrection of Rev. 20:5b - meaning there is at the very least a second one (I Cor. 15:20,23).
#5) The physical resurrection events (plural) are ranked in "order" of time, with Christ's being the "First-fruits" one that happened first (I Cor. 15:23-24).
#6) Paul teaches the necessary identity of Christ being (and continuing to be) a human male who is also divine, in order to be our representative that can raise us to life again in a resurrection (I Cor. 15:21).
#7) Only those "IN CHRIST" are empowered to rise to life again in the resurrection - not those outside of Christ (I Cor. 15:22).
#8) Angels are said to have a certain type of celestial flesh, different from mankind's terrestrial flesh. This has a bearing on the "sons of God" marrying the "daughters of men" and bearing children by them in Gen. 6 (I Cor. 15:40).
#9) After death, in the resurrection, we will bear the same type of image that the "second MAN" Christ Jesus had in His physical, glorified, incorruptible state (I Cor. 15:49).
#10) "Flesh and blood" can't inherit the kingdom of God, but flesh and BONES (just like Christ's resurrection body) can inherit it - without the blood, since "the life of the flesh is in the blood" in this mortal life (I Cor. 15:50).
#11) Everyone of the DEAD SAINTS will be CHANGED in the resurrected state of that same body. This "mysterious" process is explained more fully here in I Cor 15, since that "CHANGE" of the dead was originally spoken of in Job 14:13-15, without much detail given back then (I Cor. 15:51-55).
#12) One important thing NOT TAUGHT in I Cor. 15:51-55 (or anywhere else in scripture) is a presumed "translation" change of the living bodies of believers at Christ's coming(s). This text of I Cor 15:51-55 only talks about the changing process for the bodies of those who have DIED in Christ. This mistaken understanding of what happened at the "rapture" needs to be revisited by almost everybody.

21centpilgrim

Post by 21centpilgrim » Sat May 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I think the issue of 'when he became a life-giving spirit' is of lesser interest than the point that at one time, it seems that Jesus wasn't a life-giving spirit.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”