Is God like the God in "The Shack?"

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
featheredprop

Is God like the God in "The Shack?"

Post by featheredprop » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm leading a study that is based upon issues raised in the book, "The Shack." We're not studying the book, just talking about the issues that it raises and comparing them to scripture. It's a pretty good study, and is going well.

What I am discovering is that most people who like the book like the image of God portrayed in the book. The writer portrays God as a very personal, caring, parental-like figure, and One who is very approachable.

Furthermore, in "The Shack" God is portrayed as a God who suffers with his people. He hurts when we hurt. He is beside us when we suffer, suffering with us. My question: Does the Bible portray God in that way? Does God suffer with us when we suffer? Does He hurt when we hurt? Without pulling passages out of their contexts, would it be appropriate to tell someone who is suffering, "God is right beside you, feeling what you feel, suffering along with you?" Is God a companion to those who suffer?

I'm not looking for how everyone "feels" about these questions, I'm interested in understanding if the Bible teaches those concepts.

peace,

dane
"...the hope of the whole world rests on the shoulders of a homeless man" Rich Mullins

Jason

Re: Is God like the God in "The Shack?"

Post by Jason » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Matthew 25:35 sprang to mind...

for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

Jesus is talking about things being done to others, yet counts the sufferings/blessings as being done to himself.

Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Dane,

You wrote:
Furthermore, in "The Shack" God is portrayed as a God who suffers with his people. He hurts when we hurt. He is beside us when we suffer, suffering with us. My question: Does the Bible portray God in that way?
Rather than suffering with us, perhaps empathy is a better explanation? Certainly Jesus, "God with us", suffered in the flesh, but think of this: There are no doubt an enormous number of God's people suffering at this very moment. Simultaneously, there must be a great number of people in this world who are at this moment becoming followers of Jesus, over which even the angels rejoice. It is hard to grasp the idea of God simultaneously experiencing great joy and sorrow. I am not doubting that He somehow does, but how is a mystery.

God bless, Homer

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:09 am

featheredprop wrote:Without pulling passages out of their contexts, would it be appropriate to tell someone who is suffering, "God is right beside you, feeling what you feel, suffering along with you?" Is God a companion to those who suffer?

I'm not looking for how everyone "feels" about these questions, I'm interested in understanding if the Bible teaches those concepts.
In 1 Corinthians ch 12 Paul talks of believers being the body of Christ; in v. 26 says "And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it;" - since Christ is the head of the body, how could He not suffer along with it as well?

I'm not sure if the following scriptures could be taken to specifically answer all the questions regarding God's "feelings", but I think they certainly point to God caring for us - & also being with us through the presence of the Holy Spirit. And with one of the designations of the Holy Spirit being the Comforter, I think it would be unnatural not to attribute to God some form or sense of sharing in grief or other emotions.

John 14:25-27

25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

1 Peter 5
7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Hebrews 13:5
5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Suzana

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Psalm 103:13 As a father pities his children, so the LORD pities them that fear him.

I can't speak about being a father, but as a mother, I know that I hurt when my children hurt, and suffer when they suffer.

featheredprop

Post by featheredprop » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Wow ... great responses!

Jason - I would not have thought of the verse you posted, but I can see what you mean ...

Homer - Excellent thought of God feeling both joy and sorrow! I never thought of that before.

Suzana - I had not thought of the 1 Cor 12 passage, but very good! Also, I appreciate that you recalled Jesus referring to the Holy Spirit as the Comforter. How can He be a Comforter if He does not comfort?

Michelle - perfect passage! The psalmist wants us to understand that God responds to His children much like a father to a child.

I knew that this group could come up with some great responses. Thanks.

Oh, by the way, I was thinking of Heb 4:15, "...for we do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities..."

much appreciated ...

peace,

dane
"...the hope of the whole world rests on the shoulders of a homeless man" Rich Mullins

christopher

Post by christopher » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:00 pm

A couple more:

Acts 9:4-5
4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" 5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.
NKJV

Col 1:24-25
24 I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,
NKJV

Zech 2:8
8 For thus says the LORD of hosts: "He sent Me after glory, to the nations which plunder you; for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye.
NKJV
(as in sticking a finger in God's eye, not messing with his "pride and joy")

Michelle, I agree with you. I suffer when my children suffer, but not in the same way they do.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”