God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
steve7150

Re: Mark 4 11-12

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Seeing they may see and not perceive,
And hearing they may hear and not understand;
Lest they should turn,
And their sins be forgiven them.’”[a]

I have a question regarding the last part of "lest they should turn, and their sins be forgiven them". As I believe that God "desires" all men to turn from sin and repent and follow Him, my understanding of this part is a little fuzzy. It almost sounds like Christ is telling His disciples that he does not want some people to turn from their sins, which I presume is the wrong understanding.

I don't think it's hyperbole as Jesus had to sometimes explain privately to his disciples what he meant and he also said "it has not been given to them to understand the mysteries of the kingdom of God." Also in John 6 when he had many jews following him he said "unless you drink my blood and eat my flesh you have no life" knowing that most would be offended and leave him, as he clearly was not trying to save as many as possible but only gathering a little flock (Luke 12). It is God's will however that all should be saved and that none should perish therefore how can this be reconciled to Jesus actions and words? I think the solution is the timing of when and where God's will may be done.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”