Did the apostle John write Revelation?

darinhouston

Re: Did the apostle John write Revelation?

Post by darinhouston » Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 am

https://taylormarshall.com/2015/01/secr ... -paul.html

The Secretary of Saint John

We know from internal evidence and tradition that Saint John the Apostle also used a secretary or scribe to write his works.

Scholars often speak of a “School of John” or a “Johannine School” that wrote the Gospel of John, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, and Revelation.

In John 22:4 we see that there is another voice or pen recording the Gospel of John:

This is the disciple (John) who is bearing witness to these things, and who has written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.”
We have the beloved disciple John in the third person then a voice in the first person: “we.” So there is someone besides John actually writing these words down…even though I’m completely convinced that it is Saint John who dictated this Gospel.

Tradition tells us that Saint John employed a scribe or secretary named Saint Prochorus who is one of the first deacons recorded in Acts 6:5. Prochorus was a Greek speaking Jew and so his communication would be Greek and perhaps more advanced than that of John.

Prochorus is often depicted writing for Saint John in Eastern iconography as can be seen in the icon below:

My guess is that the Gospel of John and the book of Revelation were penned by Prochorus and John himself wrote 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John.

Paidion

Re: Did the apostle John write Revelation?

Post by Paidion » Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Yes, you may be right, Homer and Darin. Perhaps a different person wrote down John's spoken words in his gospel, than he who wrote them down for the book of Revelation.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Revelation”