Dating Revelation

steve7150

Re: Dating Revelation

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm

This early dating is centered on the preterist interpretation of chapter 17, where the seven heads of the "beast" are regarded as the succession of Roman emperors up to the time of the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD, Caligula through Vespasian.

You don't have to be a Preterist to accept the dating around 65AD. I buy into the historicist view which can live with the early dating as can the idealist view.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:18 pm

... and the publication of Revelation under Domitian, who reigned in the 90s when Irenaeus says the book was written.
Actually, Irenæus didn't say the book was WRITTEN during the reign of Domitian. He said that the APOCALYPTIC VISION was seen by John near the end of Domitian's reign. Here are his words:
Irenæus wrote:For if it were necessary that his name [the name of antichrist] should be distincly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him whobeheld the apocalyptic vision. For that was seen no very long time ago, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian's reign. (Against Heresies Book V, Ch 30, Sec 3)
Last edited by Paidion on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Emily, many of those who post to this forum are preterists. For a discussion of the dating of Revelation, check out the following thread:

http://theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4423
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Revelation”