Which approach to take to Revelation?

SamIam

Which approach to take to Revelation?

Post by SamIam » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:15 pm

The preterist reads Revelation along side Josephus and says "See, this is talking about that."

The historicist reads Revelation along side "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" (or other history) and says "See, this is talking about that."

The futurist reads Revelation along side his morning newspaper and says "See, this is talking about that." And then predicts what will be in tomorrow's newspaper.

Given that we have no statement in scripture saying "This happen to fullfill what was written in the Revelation to John ..." all three of these approaches are human deductions. If that is true, why should I prefer one of these approaches over another?

Murf

Re: Which approach to take to Revelation?

Post by Murf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:22 pm

I don't have to prefer an approach.

As you read Revelations review all the options and see which ones fits best. Its only a problem if you become dogmatic about one approach over the others.

tim

Paidion

Re: Which approach to take to Revelation?

Post by Paidion » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:50 pm

This futurist sees world government as the next event on the "prophetic calendar". If you google "world government" you will see that plans for it by world leaders have been on the drawing board for decades.

I am not dogmatic about anything which is prophesied in Revelation, since not of it HAS to happen, if mankind in general repents and changes. However that is rather unlikely.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Revelation”