The Beast of Revelation

_JEREMIAH

The beast of Revelation 13.

Post by _JEREMIAH » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:27 pm

I think that this beast is often looked at as something that will rise up in the end of days. Consider that what John saw is the same thing that Daniel and Nebuchadnezzer saw which was Babylon in its entire historical existance, beginning to end. Neb sees it as one image with 4 metals which correspond to the 4 beasts of Daniel's vision. Consider that the sum total of all the heads and horns of Daniel's 4 beasts equals the number of the single beasts heads and horns in Johns vision in Revelation, 7 heads and 10 horns. Both Neb and John saw it as a single thing-One image, one beast. But I think that they are three visions of the same thing: spiritual Babylon.
Also concerning the legs of iron. As long as we are in the legs of iron we are in the last part of history, the last days. So we can be in the last days in John's time as well as our own.

:) I think that people are often decieved thinking things are coming when they are already here.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_jazik

Post by _jazik » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:55 am

I'm just starting to research Revelations and after reading this post decided to read Daniel 12. It seems like a good place to start. Verse 2 says " Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt." Although it does not say all, Multitudes could very well be all. I hope that made sense. I read this as one resurrection.

That being said, I also realize that a lot of the prophecies of the end times are in symbolic lanquage. Is it possible that this is not a literal resurrection?

In fact after reading it again, just now, I can see how that could be interpreted as a spiritual awakening.

Of course it's 3:00 AM so I should probably sleep on it.[/quote]
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:07 pm

jazik wrote:I'm just starting to research Revelations and after reading this post decided to read Daniel 12. It seems like a good place to start. Verse 2 says " Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt." Although it does not say all, Multitudes could very well be all. I hope that made sense. I read this as one resurrection.

That being said, I also realize that a lot of the prophecies of the end times are in symbolic lanquage. Is it possible that this is not a literal resurrection?

In fact after reading it again, just now, I can see how that could be interpreted as a spiritual awakening.

Of course it's 3:00 AM so I should probably sleep on it.
This is an explanation given in Philip Mauro's book: The Seventy Weeks and the Great Tribulation (Available free online) :
The words "and many that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake," etc. are commonly taken as referring to the bodily resurrection of the dead, and this is one reason why the entire passage is frequently relegated to the future. But there is nothing said here about either death or resurrection. On the other hand, it can be abundantly shown that the words "sleep" and "awake" are common figurative expressions for the condition of those who are at first oblivious to the truth of God, but who are aroused by a message from Him out of that condition. Isaiah describes the people of Israel as being under the influence of "the spirit of deep sleep" (Isa 29:10); and again he says, "the people that walked in darkness have seen a great light; they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined" (Isa. 9:2), which words are declared by the evangelist to have been fulfilled by the personal ministry of Christ in Israel (Mt 4:14-16). Paul paraphrases another word of Isaiah (Isa 60:1) as having the meaning, "Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light" (Eph 5:14). And the Lord Himself declared that the era of this spiritual awakening had come, when He said, "The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God, and they that hear shall live" (John 5:25). In both these last two passages the reference is to those who were spiritually dead, as all would agree.

The whole nation of Israel was "awakened" out of a sleep of centuries through the ministry of John the Baptist, followed by that of the Lord Himself, and lastly by that of the apostles and evangelists, who "preached the gospel unto them with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven." It will be observed that the prophecy does not indicate that those who are "awakened" shall all be saved. On the contrary, it says that for some the awakening would be "to everlasting life," and for others "to shame and everlasting contempt." In agreement with this is the fact which the Gospels so clearly set forth that, although multitudes came to John's baptism, and "all men mused in their hearts concerning him," and while multitudes also followed Christ because of the miracles done by Him, and for the sake of the loaves and fishes, yet the outcome was that Israel was divided into two classes, those who "received Him," and those who "received Him not." Thus "there was a division because of Him." His own words distinguish the two classes: "He that believeth on Him is not condemned; but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed on the Name of the only begotten Son of God" (Joh 3:18). The former class awoke to "everlasting life" (Joh 3:16), and the latter "to shame and everlasting contempt" (Joh 3:36).

To the same effect the apostle John writes: "Nevertheless, among the chief rulers also many believed on Him; but because of the Pharisees, they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue. For they loved the praise of men, more than the praise of God" (Joh 12:42,43). These, though awakened, refused to meet Christ's simple conditions of salvation by confessing Him (Mt 10:32); therefore they awoke unto "shame," even as He Himself declared, when He said: "For whosoever shall be ashamed of Me, and of My words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when He shall come in His own glory, and in His Father's, and of the holy angels" (Lu 9:26).

The next verse of the prophecy strongly confirms the view we are now presenting; for there we have mention of the reward of those who "cause to be wise," and who "turn many to righteousness." What class of persons could possibly be meant but those who spread the truth of the gospel? There are none others, and never will be others, who cause their fellows to be "wise" unto salvation, and "who turn many" from sin "to righteousness." Seeing, therefore, that we have the awakening foretold in verse 2 connected closely with a clear reference to those who preach the gospel of Christ, we have good reason to conclude that the passage had its fulfilment in that great and wonderful era of Jewish national existence, "the time of the end" thereof, during which Christ was announced and manifested, was rejected and crucified, was raised up and glorified, and finally was preached to the whole nation in the power of the Holy Ghost.

The nature of the reward promised to those "who cause to be wise" and "who turn many to righteousness" helps also to illustrate the meaning of the passage. These are to shine as the brightness of the firmament, and as the stars forever and ever. This reminds us that the people of God are to let their light shine before men, and that they are "the light of the world." In holding forth the word of life they "shine as lights in the world." Once they were darkness, but now are they "light in the Lord;" and their reward shall be to shine as the stars for ever and ever; for as "one star differeth from another star in glory, so also is the resurrection of the dead" (1Co 15:41,42).
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

Return to “Revelation”