Ephesians 2:15 (abolishment of the law)

TheEditor

Re: Ephesians 2:15 (abolishment of the law)

Post by TheEditor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi Doug

I'm not sure exactly how Romans 7 fits in here. I am also not certain how Hosea fits in with Ezekiel's prophecy concerning the two sticks metaphor and the gathering of Israel. I am aware that there are those that try to read "dispersed Israel" whenever they read "gentile". There just feels like there is something atypical about your presentation. Could you provide a link to an article that fleshes your point out a bit more? Thanks!

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:28 am

Wouldn't what Doug described more be replacement theology? I may be way off on that, I'm pretty inexperienced in these theological terms and have a hard time getting my head around them all.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:41 am

Hi Dizerner,

I have a hard time keeping it straight as well. :D Isn't Replacement Theology just the term used when applying OT prophecies concerning Israel to the Church? That's how I always used it, but I could be wrong. I'll wait for anymore comment until Doug supplies an article on or dealing with the subject.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:56 pm

I understood Doug's post. He did an excellent job in his explanation, and the quotation of scripture to support it.

Replacement theology is the teaching that the Christian Church has replaced national Israel regarding the plan, purpose, and promises of God. I don't think that is what Doug was getting at.

I don't subscribe to replacement theology. The Israel of God is explained in Romans 9, 10, and 11. Israel is compared to an olive tree, in which some branches are cut off and others grafted in. Those Israelites who didn't belong, who rejected the Messiah whom God had sent, were cut off. Those Gentiles who became disciples of the Messiah, and submitted to Him as Lord, were grafted in. So Israel was not replaced by the Church. Rather Israel continued, but was being purified as some who didn't really belong were removed, while others who never had belonged were added.

In Romans 2: 28,29, Paul explained what a true Jew is.

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

If you are a disciple of Messiah Jesus, you are a true Jew—an Israelite indeed!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Paidion,

Personally, I have been of the opinion for some time that "Israel" in truth is the "remnant" and that this "remnant" predates the nation. All of the men of faith listed in Hebrews, and innumerable others are part of this "remnant" of "true Israel." Israel as a nation was something used to suit the outworking of God's purposes, but the nation only had as much significance in God's purposes as He allowed. I do not believe that being a fleshly Jew/Israelite has any bearing on being in true Israel.

Regards, Brenden.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 pm

I fully agree, Brenden.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Acts & Epistles”